PatJC123
nathanknickerbocker.9

Metric System

PatJC123

PatJC123

Pro

Ok, so the United States is one of three countries in the world who still use the British Imperial system of measurement (the other two being Myanmar and Liberia). I believe that if the US switched to metric, it would be easier to conduct measurements in many fields like construction and architecture while also putting us in the same field as the rest of the world.
nathanknickerbocker.9

Con

I accept your argument

If the American people were to change measurement to metric measurement every one be confused most people problem wouldn't even use it any way plus America was one of the first countries in the world to build a Republic again so the rest of the world followed. this helps my argument by proving America is different but the world followed.
PatJC123

Pro

I have something to say about both parts of my opponent's response.

1. You said that every one would be confused. I beg to differ, because the metric system is 10-based, with every measurement being divisible by 10. Perhaps some people would be confused at first, but once it's realized how much easier it is compared to our very arbitrary system, people would catch on.

2. America was not the first republic in the world. Also, in this instance, it's us who are lagging behind. Every other country except for two others switched when the metric system was created, and still to this day, our stubborn country has yet to see that it is a far better system of measurement.
nathanknickerbocker.9

Con

1. I never said America was the first Republic I meant during the 1700's America changed the course of the world's way of government
2. Even tho you say that people wouldn't be confused that hypothetical like saying that I will become president its possible but not a certainty.

your argument is that America is falling behind in measurement but what about healthcare,money,military etc. do they care about measurements? America has had its way of measuring for over 200 years why stop it now.
PatJC123

Pro

Ok, I'm sorry that I misread your previous rebuttal. You didn't say that the US was the first republic, and I apologize. The other thing I wanted to touch on is that this is a debate about the metric system, not any of the other issues you mentioned, just keep that in mind.

Anyway, my primary response to yours is this: I understand that we've been using Imperial for the last 217 years now, but that should be a reason to change, not keep to the old ways. In the days of the American Revolution, many countries were using their own system of measurement, and it differed throughout the world (e.g. French inches were different from English inches). Then, the metric system was created, and it made measurement and commerce between countries easier and more universal, so much so that metric is used in almost every country in the world, but not the US. It is my belief and that of many others that a conversion to metric would connect us to the rest of the world in trade, mathematics, and science.
nathanknickerbocker.9

Con

First its fine. Second I use other issues to make a point that what will changing the measuring system effect the rest of the country. If you think that changing the way of measurement will help what about experiments in past? people will question their ways of conducting them claiming that they didn't use proper measurement every experiment will be questioned. Granted that other countries used their own ways of measurement what happened that also changed the course of history during that? The American Revolution revolutionized the world changing the way colonies were treated and governments changed and THEN came the metric system America was formed and grew into a superpower and every thing changed. Finally just because everyone has the same unit of measurement doesn't mean anything will get better what about World War I and World War II (with the exception of Hitler) everyone had the same measurement but still they didn't get along
PatJC123

Pro

It's not about getting along. Switching to the metric system would make trading and general commerce with other countries easier and mor standardized. Also, people traveling to other countries won't worry about not knowing how far "8km away" is, for example. We get along fine, for the most part, it's just an issue of logistics.
nathanknickerbocker.9

Con

logistics that's what it seems but what is next on the change list currency government its not just measurement your changing your changing a way of life.
Posted by Nimbus328 4 years ago
Nimbus328
Pro: Everyone knows what a 2 liter bottle is.
Con: Everyone knows the interstate exists are a mile apart.
Vote Placed by Nimbus328 4 years ago
Nimbus328
PatJC123nathanknickerbocker.9Tied
Reasons for voting decision: Pro knew what the metric system is.
Vote Placed by MattHarrison 4 years ago
MattHarrison
PatJC123nathanknickerbocker.9Tied
Reasons for voting decision: Wow... Wow