chesleya
AK-47debater

Michael Bloomberg would make an excellent president.

chesleya

Pro

While he has yet to indicate that he is running and stipulates almost daily that he is not, Michael Bloomberg has engaged in a secretive investigation into his viability as a candidate.

He would not only be a very strong candidate, due to his ability to fund his own campaign and his national network of business and personal associates, but would be the best potential president of everyone running.

He has excellent executive experience, both as the head of his corporation, Bloomberg LP and as Mayor of New York City for the past seven years. Likely his strongest attribute, however, is his knowledge of the economy. He succeeded in turning around the sinking ship that was the New York City economy under Rudy Giuliani and turned a $6 billion deficit into a $3 billion surplus. He cut out unnecessary spending in nearly all city departments, excluding fire and police, and has a realistic stance on taxes. He is personally opposed to taxes but knows that during hard times, taxes sometimes must be increased. Following the budget turnaround, he subsequently proposed substantial tax reductions.

He started the PlaNYC to deal with global warming which included green buildings and running public transportation on cleaner fuels. He believes that cities can't wait around for the federal government to fix things for America and know that he and his local government have to act for anything real to get done. It is this attitude that he would bring to Washington and why he would make the best president of anyone running.
AK-47debater

Con

1. Foreign Policy
- Being an owner of a corporation, Bloomberg has no foreign policy what so ever.
- In our country today, we need to work on foreign policy. Our gov't is one of the least respected in the world.
- Our reputation is horrible because of Bush. When I travel and I tell people that I am American, they tell me how much they hate America
- If Bloomberg was president, he would have no idea what was going on with foreign policy. Then, our country would be doomed to have a bad reputation and maybe worse than we have now.

2. Effects Of A Bad Reputation
- Many countries wouldn't respect us and therefore might not trade with us.
- Countries on the Security Council might veto our proposals.
- Our gov't would never be taken seriously.

3. Our Country Is Not A Corporation
- just because Bloomberg has experience in the economy of one city, doesn't mean he has experience in the political economy of the whole US.
- also, he has no experience in foreign economics

4. War
- We are in the middle of a war, Bloomberg has no experience with war, this equals trouble.
- If Bloomberg were to make the wrong decision, he might end up wasting money and lives.

5. Politics
- Although Bloomberg has been Mayor of NYC, he has no experience with national politics including:
A. Healthcare
B. Abortion, Gay Marriages, and so on
C. Internal an Homeland Security
D. Foreign Policy
E. Military Forces
chesleya

Pro

It is clear that all the issues brought up by my opponent are key in the coming years. Yet, the single most important domestic issue will be the economy. It is clear that we are sinking into a recession and our housing market has essentially collapsed. Of all the potential candidates, Bloomberg is by far the most proficient in the economy.

So, onto my opponents arguments.
Everything said by my opponents implies that the President is the only person in the government. There was no "Presidnet Kissinger" or "President Albright". The President has advisors who are excerpts in specific fields, including international relations, military strategy and operations and taxing. For instance, the war (including the current one) is fought based upon plans drawn up by the President. The Joint Chiefs of Staff and the SecDef exist to do those things, to be modified and approved by the President.

On foreign policy, if what my opponent says is true, than both of our last two Presidents would have made foreign policy disasters. While Mr Bush may have done that to some extent, it's clear that it wasn't the fault of a lack of knowledge of foreign policy. Bloomberg would become quickly adapted to the conditions of being President and simply being around the greatest minds in IR that work in the White House would allow him to make intelligent foreign policy decisions.

About our image abroad. If anything, Bloomberg is an incredibly international figure, especially in major financial centers. Running as an independent, if he were elected, he would signal to Americans and people abroad that times are changing in America and we are ready to look at new ideas and people. My opponent claims that he has no experience in foreign economics, but this is simply false. Just look to the success of Bloomberg LP in foreign nations.

It is clear that Bloomberg will do good if elected president. He has already fixed the New York economy and he has set into action a realistic plan to combat climate change. As the head of a corporation, he will be able to trim unnecessary government expenditures. While my opponent denies it, America is like a corporation. And the citizens are all stockholders in that corporation. To best protect their interests, they should elected Michael Bloomberg as the next President.
AK-47debater

Con

Our country is not a major corporation. Bloomberg runs a major corporation and is the mayor of a city. He has no idea how to handle the war we are in.

1. War
-My opponent clearly forgot to rebut my point and therefore basically gave it to me.
- We are in the middle of a war. A war that has hurt our reputation. We need a person who has experience dealing with war. A mayor of a city has no experience what so ever dealing with this war. If Bloomberg makes the slightest mistake, he could make our reputation go down and could hurt our country very much.

2. My opponent talks about how Bloomberg would have advisers, however he would pick the advisers so they potentially would have the same experience as him, and make many wrong decisions. Additionally, although he has advisers, the president will make most of the decisions and can do a lot of things to hurt our country.

3. Policies In Our Country
- Because he is the mayor of a city, he has no experience dealing with national social issues such as abortion, gay marriage, internal and homeland security, and much more. This would be a problem because this is something that our president must deal with and must make the right decisions.
- My opponent failed to rebut this argument in the last round therefore I also win this argument.

4. Not A Corporation
- our country is not a corporation and it is not the same as one city
- Bloomberg has no experience dealing with taxes on a large scale and no experience with international trading because Bloomberg LP does not trade internationally, it just gives news and trades on the market. Right now we need a president who knows how to deal with trade with countries such as China. Bloomberg has no experience in that.

5. Importance of Foreign Policy
- According to Time Magazine, The New York Times, and Newsweek Magazine, the most important thing for our country right now is to build our international reputation with foreign policy. I agree that recent presidents have made great mistakes pertaining to foreign policy, and I think Bloomberg will make the same. You said that he would be surrounded by the greatest minds of the white house, yet he chooses those minds and those minds will make mistakes and as I said, the "minds he chooses might not be very good. you said that our image would become better because Bloomberg is an international figure, yet do you think that if Oprah, who has a tremendous international figure, would make our image better, I think not. Our image depends not on what kind of a figure the president is, but on what decisions he makes and how they affect other countries.

6. Adaption
- Bloomberg will not adapt quickly to the conditions of being president because he would make mistakes and wouldn't have time to adapt.

In conclusion, because I have successfully rebutted all my opponents arguments, and my opponent has either failed to rebut my arguments or hasn't rebutted them at all, I have won this debate.
Posted by AK-47debater 9 years ago
AK-47debater
please read the debate before deciding
Vote Placed by crazypenguin 9 years ago
crazypenguin
chesleyaAK-47debaterTied
Vote Placed by chesleya 9 years ago
chesleya
chesleyaAK-47debaterTied
Vote Placed by NSG 9 years ago
NSG
chesleyaAK-47debaterTied
Vote Placed by AK-47debater 9 years ago
AK-47debater
chesleyaAK-47debaterTied