jfowler515
191101568

Michael Jordan is the best basketball player to walk the face of the earth.

jfowler515
Started: 3/2/2012 Category: Sports

jfowler515

Pro

Michael Jordan is the best basketball player the world has ever seen. He lead he NBA in scoring for 10 seasons. He also managed to win 6 championships with the Chicago Bulls and he won MVP awards in his career. Not only was Jordan the best to play the game he was also the most influential player on the sport of basketball.
191101568

Con

Thank you very much for posting this intriguing topic. I,myself, is a basketball fan. Ok, first, have you thought of Jeremy Lin? In just a week, Jeremy Lin was a WORLD-WIDE sensation. The fans made up "Lin-sanity" and "Legend In New york". Also, he became an all-star in like a couple weeks. I agree with you that MJ had a lot of awards, but look now. MJ owns the WORST team in the NBA. Woah, I thought he was "the most influential player on sport of basketball". Also, I have some true statings from MJ himself at games. Check them out:

"We're beating a lot of poor teams. So what? We won a lot of games last year, too. Will Horace and Bill still be playing at this level in the playoffs...Can Pip keep it up?"

"I hate being out there with those garbage men. They don't get you the ball."

"You're an idiot. You've screwed up every play we ever ran. You're too stupid to even remember the plays. We ought to get rid of you." - Michael to Horace Grant

"If you [pass the ball to Bill Cartwright], you'll never get the ball from me."

"We're not winning because of talent. We're just beating bad teams."

"Headache tonight, Scottie?" - Michael asks Scottie, while showing him his 2-for-16 line

"It's probably a twelve-day. He needs two days to wake up." - Michael on a ten-day contract teammate

"He can't do anything with the ball. Don't give it to him." - Michael yelling at Paxson who passed the ball to Purdue

"You ever hear of a guy, six-eleven maybe and two hundred sixty pounds, a guy big and fat like that and he can't get but two rebounds, if that many, running all over the damn court and he gets two rebounds? Big guy like that and he gets one rebound. Can't even stick his **** into people and get more than that...Big, fat, fat guy. One rebound in three games. Power forward. Maybe they should call it powerless forward." - Michael ripping Stacey King a new one

"He was scared in there and panicking. He just lost it when Stockton scored." - Michael on B.J. Armstrong's mental fragility"

"They don't need a ticket to watch you sitting on the bench. They can go to your house for that." - Michael to Charles Davis who was sorting through his tickets for his family and friends

"Give me the ******* ball." - Michael to Doug Collins who drew up a play for Dave Corzine

"If I were a general manager, we'd be a better team." ( Wizards? Bobcats? )
jfowler515

Pro

Well so far nothing you have said is relevant to the topic at hand. The only information to disprove the greatness of Michael Jordan would be by presenting another player who has accomplished more. My statement said "Michael Jordan is the best basketball player to walk the face of the earth." The fact that he owns a terrible team does not effect his credibility as an individual player. No player in the NBA has ever exhibited the skills or talent of Michael Jordan. You speaking about Jeremy Lin hold no relevance to this to the debate whatsoever. Jeremy Lin grew popular although he is a good player, his name doesn't deserve to be presented in an argument on whether or not Jordan was the best player ever. Although Jordan may have not addressed his teammates with complete respect, this does not take away from his greatness as a NBA legend. Jordan is the best and always will be. He won 6 NBA championships, 10 time scoring champ, and a 5 time MVP, 6 time finals MVP, and the list just goes on. I can present an extensive list of Jordan's outstanding achievements.
191101568

Con

Thank you for responding.

F.Y.I, I did state something about MJ's individual "greatness". Actually, I stated a LOT of stuff. All the stating from MJ prove that he was not the greatest basketball player to walk on the ace of Earth. Greatness means physical greatness, but also spiritually greatness. In order to be great, you need to be ,of course, strong, but also nice and having sportsmanship. Did you see any sportsmanship in those quotes? I DON'T THINK SO. Mentioning Jeremy Lin has a purpose. I'm just saying there are other people besides MJ that are great basketball players. Jeremy Lin is not the only other great players. I was just using him as an example.

jfowler515

Pro

Actually all you included in your previous argument was quote's from Michael Jordan. You weren't clear on the point you were trying to make. It seemed as if you were trying to make Jordan out to be a bad teammate or a bad guy. Well you used conversations of him saying he wont pass the ball and things of that nature. Michael Jordan averaged 5.3 assists a game for his career as a shooting guard. As a shooting guard your main role is generally to score but Jordan being unselfish still averaged 5.3 assists a game. In 1988-1989 he actually averaged 8.0 assists a game as a shooting guard and a scorer. This shows Jordan was not selfish and he was an individual of integrity and work ethic. You can not discredit Jordan for his true love of the game and how determined he was to win. Generally players who are selfish only care about individual stats and don't play defense. Jordan was one of the greatest defenders the game has ever seen. He was a 9-time all defensive team selection and a 3-time NBA steals leader. Jordan was in fact the most dedicated player the NBA has seen as well. No matter what his physical state was he still played in the game. In 1997 his famous "Flu game"performance took place. Jordan woke up on June 11 with the flu the same day he had a NBA finals game. His trainers told him there was no way he could play in this game. Jordan went on to play in this game with the flu. Not only did he complete this game he went on to lead his team to a victory with 38 points. If you are trying to portray the image of Jordan as a selfish individual that wont help you in this debate. This is one specific instance when Jordan didn't care about his well-being but he cared about not letting down his team or his fans.
191101568

Con

OK, first, why are you talking about the achievements of MJ so much? Then, I'll use Jeremy Lin as MY example. He once scored around 30 points in a game and 20 assists. That shows how J.Lin gave the ball to his teammates because of his extreme greatness and kindness. I'm not going to waste my time jotting down all his many achievements, but if you want me to, I'll do it. MJ is not the greatest basketball player in the world. That is kind of exaggerating.
jfowler515

Pro

Generally one would define greatness on what you have done. This is also known as an achievement in case you didn't know. I also would appreciate if you do not compare Lin to Jordan. You obviously are not a true basketball fan if you think Lin is worthy of being in the same conversation as Jordan. Jeremy Lin has never won a MVP or a single NBA finals title. Jeremy Lin has 0 achievements as a basketball player as of now. Not once yet have you stated a valid proposal as to why Jordan is not the best basketball player ever. I have continuously backed my statements with factual information. Not once have you stated information relevant to the topic at hand. All you have said is that Jeremy Lin scored 30 points and had 20 assists. I would assume that you are trying to say you can compare Lin to Jordan. When that in fact is not true at all. Greatness in any aspect of life is defined by achievements or impacts you left on the world. Jordan not only has numerous achievements but he has the biggest impact on the NBA. Almost any player in the NBA today wants to be at least half of what Jordan was. You must have a different definition of greatness in a sport. I don't know what you would define greatness as or what facts you would associate greatness with. But achievements are definitely a sign of greatness.Which Michael Jordan is not lacking in any category. You also tried to discredit Jordan's greatness by saying he wasn't a team player by using quotes from him. I clearly prove that isn't valid by his assists statistics and his performance in the Flu game. If you are going to try to discredit Jordan as the greatest at least don't use a mere stat of Jeremy Lin from one game.
191101568

Con

You state:"Generally one would define greatness on what you have done." That was exactly was I was trying to say before. Please define:done. MJ may have been strong and a good basketball player, but he has not have the values of a true, kind basketball player. I prefer comparing Lin to MJ because Lin is better than MJ. For example, J.Lin has PERFECT basketball handling, and he has something that MJ does not have. Beat that! Jeremy has a warm heart, he always passes to teammates when he has the chance. MJ? Just keeps on showing off by not passing to others unless necessary. Also, please define:greatness. When you said something about MJ's assists, that is nothing compared to J.lin. 20 assists versus....8. So sad, so sad. When you say," If you are going to try to discredit Jordan as the greatest at least don't use a mere stat of Jeremy Lin from one game." I choose to talk about Jeremy Lin as much as I want.

jfowler515

Pro

So as i correctly read you said Jeremy Lin is better than Michael Jordan. Your saying this based off of your uneducated basketball opinion. You obviously know nothing about basketball being you said Jeremy Lin is better then Jordan. First of all Lin's career high in assists is 13 not 20. You have not once stated suitable information for this debate. I expected to have Jordan compared with other NBA legends. Not an individual who hasn't even completed a full season as a NBA starter. You clearly are confused to what this topic was being you used Lin as your argument against Jordan. You also tried to make the point that Jordan doesn't have a "warm heart". Jordan is actually involved with charities such as the Boys' and Girls' club, UNCF College Fund, and the Special Olympics. This does show that Jordan is in fact a man of integrity that does are about others. Also i mentioned he averaged 8 assists in a season. Not that he had 8 assists in one game. You were clearly very confused about the topic at hand.
191101568

Con

"uneducated"? Wow. You don't know me. You just say things that come to your mind and seem OK with you. Anyways, so you don't like Jeremy Lin. It's OK, because everyone has different opinions. Other great basketball players are: Kobe Bryant, Matt Bonner, Kwame Brown, and finally J.Lin(in my opinion). Since this is the final argument, I won't say much. I admit I was confused about the topic. Sorry about that. Well, I guess that's it. Thank you for letting me have this intersting debate with you. I enjoyed this a lot.

May the best man win.
Posted by lakeshoww 4 years ago
lakeshoww
calling MJ not the best is plain blasphamy. not only did mj lead almost every statistical category but he changed how basketball in the NBA was played. before jordan juust single coverage man to man defense then when jordan came, he did so well 1 on 1 teams always had to double team triple team do what ever they can to stop MJ. that never happened before MJ. now you see today, players like kobe lbj etc get doubled team a lot. it all started cuz of Mj's dominance in the past. thats what makes him great.
Posted by inferno 4 years ago
inferno
I agree. Most abstract and versatile. Golf, baseball, racing. The guy is the best.
Posted by gdematt 4 years ago
gdematt
OH. MY. LORD. MATT Bonner, Kwame Brown? Lins better than MJ....... Know who my votes going to
Posted by Skyhook 4 years ago
Skyhook
@Jfowler515. Sounds good. If you want, you can send the debate my way today or tomorrow. I'll accept the challenge as soon as I get it. I think you can keep the same resolution too. I'm assuming you'll want the first round to start off with the arguments not just an "I accept" right? Looking forward to that debate.
Posted by Viper-King 4 years ago
Viper-King
RFD: This is fvcking screwd. Michael Jordan won six championships, 5 MVPs, 14 time All-Star, 6 times Finals MVP, 10 time scoring champion, 3 times steals champion, NBA Defensive Player of the year, 10 time All-NBA First Team, 1 time All-NBA 2nd Team, 9 time NBA Defensive 1st Team, NBA Rookie Of The Year, NBA Rookie First Team, 3 time All-Star Game MVP, 2 time NBA Slam Dunk Champion and you compare him to a kid who isn't even an All-Star and can't even score 40 points? MJ has an average of 30.1 ppg with a total points of 32,292, rebounds with 6,672 and an average of 6.2 rpg, and a total of 5,633 assists and 5.3 apg vs. Jeremy Lin's 412 points and an average of 7.9. Screw that. Rebounds are 102 and average is 2.0 with assists of 181 and an average of 3.5.
Posted by 191101568 4 years ago
191101568
@jfowler515

im so sorry jfowler.*sarcasm* i didn't know i was so bad *sarcasm again*
Posted by jfowler515 4 years ago
jfowler515
@ skyhook. yes i would like to do that. was very disappointed in the argument posed by my opponent in this debate.
Posted by Skyhook 4 years ago
Skyhook
Hey jfowler515, you should challenge me on this topic after you're done (hopefully after wednesday). I promise you I can make a case for why MJ isn't the GOAT. I can name at least 2 NBA HOFers who have just as a good of a case against MJ if not, in some ways better. I don't want to give the names up right away, but let me know if you're interested.
Posted by gdematt 4 years ago
gdematt
lol i apologize lmfao. i respect ur opinions
Posted by jfowler515 4 years ago
jfowler515
@zaradi. What aspect of the debate is horrible. I'm presenting factual information to my point
Vote Placed by Viper-King 4 years ago
Viper-King
jfowler515191101568Tied
Reasons for voting decision: RFD in Comments.
Vote Placed by imabench 4 years ago
imabench
jfowler515191101568Tied
Reasons for voting decision: con took a philophical approach to this whole debate which is single handedly the worst thing you can do in a debate about sports, however the pro did seem to let the con have it in round 5 so conduct goes to the con