Michael Jordan or Kobe Bryant

Started: 5/20/2013 Category: Sports

Is Kobe Bryant better than Michael Jordan? Yes, Kobe Bryant is better than Michael Jordan. Michael Jordan was elected 11 times to the All-NBA, and yes that's impressive. Meanwhile, who is still active on the Lakers roster, has been elected 14 times to the All-NBA in his career. Michael Jordan was elected to 14 NBA All Stars Games, but Kobe has been elected to 15 All Star Games. Yes, Michael Jordan is considered the best in NBA history, but Kobe Bryant has not had an All Star team on his team. It was Jordan, Pippen, Rodman, and Steve Kerr. Kobe has only had Shaq, and he left only after 3 NBA championships won. That means Kobe has won 2 championships on his own. However, Michael Jordan has always had help around him on the basketball court. These are the reasons Kobe is better than Jordan.

For this argument the sources I will be using for Micheal Jordan and Kobe Bryant are listed below.
Micheal Jordan-
Kobe Bryant-

Shooting statistics

Kobe Bryant
A. Highest Points per game list by season. (with Field Goal Percentage)
1. 35.4, 45% 3005-2006
2. 31.6, 46.3% 2006-2007
3. 30.0, 45.1% 2002-2003
Micheal Jordan
1. 37.1, 48.2% 1986-1987
2. 35.0, 53.5% 1987-1988
3. 33.6, 52.6 1989-1990
Just from this you can tell Micheal Jordan was a better shooter. In addition Micheal Jordan's career scoring average is 30.1 Points per game, while in Kobe's 3rd highest scoring year he averaged 30.0 points Per Game, not to forgot Jordan shot 49.7% while Kobe has currently shot 45.4% in his career.

Rebounding statistics

Kobe Bryant
6.9 2002-2003
6.9 1999-2000
6.3 2007-2008

Micheal Jordan
8.0 1998-1999
6.9 1989-1990
6.9 1994-1995

In total Micheal Jordan averaged 6.3 rebounds per game, while Kobe only averaged 5.2. Some say this is only because Micheal Jordan is taller, I think not because he also averaged less turnovers per game despite being the taller player. ( MJ= 2.7 KB- 3)

Micheal Jordan
Pro has already stated all of Micheal Jordan's good teammates, but Rodman also played alongside Kobe Bryant.

Kobe Bryant
Had amazing talent alongside through his career that led him to championships.
Glen Rice
Dennis Rodman (1998-1999)
Shannon Brown
Matt Barnes
Lamar Odom
Derek Fisher
Andrew Bynum
Pau Gasol
Metta World Peace
Jordan Farmar
Dwight Howard
Steve Nash
Shaquille O'Neal (was 1 vote shy of a unanimous MVP vote.)

Pro argues that Kobe is better because he won more awards, but Kobe skipped college and went straight to the NBA while Micheal Played for North Carolina for 2 years. In addition Micheal Jordan left the NBA for 2 years while in pursuit of a Baseball career to avenge his father's death.

So in reality Jordan could have won more awards if he played in NBA while in college and played in the NBA while playing Baseball. I would also like to suggest that we have a 3 round debate and list a closing sentence in round 4.

Good points and you brought great facts. But, you mentioned Michael Jordan could've done better if he didn't go to college or go to the MLB? Well, the way I see it that was his decision, and Kobe has suffered for being in the league for 17 years. More years to have young talent come up. MJ even came back to the Washington Wizards and he was "decent", but wasn't dominant in Washington.

You also mentioned that Kobe had talent around him on the court, and you even had a list. First, Glen Rice was only good in college (Michigan). Second, Dennis Rodman wasn't on the Lakers. Yes, I agree with Derek Fisher, but Pau Gasol has slumped, Lamar Odom was always involved with he Kardashians. So, basically Kobe has been by himself mentally on the court. Just him and Phil Jackson.

And, by the way you misspelled Michael every time.

Michael Jordan did the honorable thing and avenged his father's death by laying the sport his father loved. I never said he would have done better I said he would have won more awards.
"So in reality Jordan could have won more awards if he played in NBA"
Jordan didn't need to be dominant as a Wizard, he had nothing left to prove to the world he won 6 titles in NBA finals appearances, however he did much better than decent, even in his final year he averaged 20.0 Points per game, 44.5% shooting, 82.1% from the free Throw line, 6.1 rebounds per game, and only 2.1 turnovers which was the lowest in his career. I wonder how you call this decent at the age of 40 in a league dominated by shooting guards who all wanted to be like Mike. ( Allen Iverson, Kobe Bryant, Tracy Mcgrady, Allan Houston, Reggie Miller, Vince Carter, Larry Hughes, ETC.)

1. Glen Rice averaged 18.3 points per game in his career, to put that into perspective Pippen averaged 16.1 a game.
Glen Rice-
Scottie Pippen-

2. Dennis Rodman did play for the Lakers for 1 season and was a big influence to Kobe Bryant and averaged 1.2 Rebounds per game as a Laker below you will find 2 highlight videos.

3. wow, you didn't even refute Derek Fisher.

4. Paul Gasol has averages 18.4 points and 9.2 Rebounds per game, and even now he had a bad year only because of injuries, and Earl Clark taking some of his playing time. ( 13.7 points per game, 8.6 rebounds per game)

5. Lamar Odom is one of Kobe's closest friends and has always been available mentally for Kobe

6. I would like a reply to my round suggestion,

7. Spelling and Grammar errors are easy to find, I'll use a quote from you for an example.
"Good points and you brought great facts. But, you mentioned Michael Jordan could've done better if he didn't go to college or go to the MLB?"

you should have said-
Good points and you brought great facts, but you mentioned Michael Jordan could've done better if he didn't go to college and/or the MLB?

Philtech97 forfeited this round.

Since my opponent didn't debate I have the ability to fix errors in my argument.
in point 2, I meant to say Dennis Rodman averaged 11.2 Rebounds per game, not 1.2. I would hope voters can tell who proved who was better than who, in short

1. Michael Jordan is 6 for 6 in the NBA finals.
Kobe is 5 for 7 in the NBA finals.

2. Michael shot 49.7% while Kobe shot 45.4% per game.

3. Michael had 6.2 Rebounds per game, while Kobe has averaged 5.3 per game.

4. Michael had 5.3 assists per game, while Kobe currently has 4.8 per game

5. Micheal had 0.8 Blocks per game while Kobe has averaged 0.5 per game.

6. Michael had 2.3 Steals per game, while Kobe has averaged 1.5 per game.

7. Michael had 2.7 turnovers per game, while Kobe has averaged 3.0 per game.

8. Michael Jordan had 866 games in a row in which he scored double-digit.

9. Michael was the only player to record a triple-double during a all-star game.

Philtech97 forfeited this round.

Thanks for the debate.
Vote Placed by imabench 3 years ago
Reasons for voting decision: forfeited, gave no sources, and arguments that pro did give were dreadful