Michael Jordan was better than Lebron James

joskoo has forfeited round #3.
Started: 7/10/2016 Category: Sports

I will be arguing that Michael Jordan was a better basketball player during his NBA career than Lebron James.

You are welcome to just do acceptance or make an argument in round one.

Intro Video-

Michael Jordan had something that turns you into a machine that most people do not have. He loved his father, and lost his father during his NBA career.

"MY Father...He was there when I didn't understand, he was there when I was wrong, he was there when I cried, he was there when I lied. For some reason my dad was always there, when I needed him the most. His love was never ending. And now that he's gone there is an emptiness in my world, but not in my heart.
- Michael Jordan

Why MJ played like he did. (Video)

"Learning is a gift, even if pain is your teacher."

"Maybe it's my fault that you didn't see that failure gave me strength, that my pain was my motivation."

"Once I made a decision, I never thought about it again."

And this is the difference. Lebron has been critisized for at times being timid, not wanting the ball, breaking under pressure, giving up in games, playing half heartedly, etc. No one said this about Jordan. Jordan wanted the ball. Jordan craved the spotlight. Jordan never let up. He was the relentless, deadly assasin.

(About MJ)
"On the court, he"s a ruthless, offensive assassin who doesn"t shy away from taking any shots."

The thing Jordan had was he did not care what his critics thought. If you accused him of "being a ball hog", he'd go get 45-50 points the next night.

Lebrons critics have appeared to get to him at times.

Jordan was a miracle worker, a magician. Larry Bird once said that Michael Jordan was "God disguised as Michael Jordan".

MJ the aerial acrobat (video)

Michael Jordan played in 6 NBA Finals. Michael Jordan has 6 NBA championship rings. MJ is 6-0 in NBA finals.

Lebron James has won 3 rings and lost four NBA finals.

The reason Lebron will probably not get the 6 rings like Jordan is simply time. He is pushing the time in life where NBA players' bodies begin to change. A step slower. You don't just quickly recover from injuries. You can't jump quite as high. Keep in mind he is only 5 years younger than Kobe Bryant, and Kobe is now retired.

And even if Lebron won 6 by a feat of magic, he would still have a minimum of 4 NBA finals losses. Jordan was undefeated.

Michael.Jordan "Retrospective" (Video)

The" biggest critic of Jordan was...Jordan.

The reason why Michael Jordan was never bothered by what the critics said about him is because Michael was always the biggest critic of himself. The standards he set for himself was always higher than any standard set for him by others. His indomitable will and determination drove him to surpass all expectations set upon him.

Lebron James has had negative reactions to his critics even critisizing them back on social media. He seems affected by the things people say and takes it to heart, and not always as fuel, but as something pushing him down.

Shaquille Oneil who faced both players said that Jordan was the better player.

"But Mike was Mike. He was just special, like no one else. He always did things no one else could do, and things you couldn't compare to anyone else. So he was special, and he wins."

*Where Jordan has the edge*

Free Throw Percentage regular season-

LeBron James= .744
Michael Jordan= .835

Free Throw Percentage in playoffs-

LeBron James= .746
Michael Jordan= .828

NBA Scoring Leader-

LeBron James= 1
Michael Jordan= 10

Defensive Player of The Year-

LeBron James =0
Michael Jordan= 1

Steals Leader-

LeBron James= 0
Michael Jordan= 3

NBA Finals MVP
LeBron James= 3
Michael Jordan= 6

Best Single Season scoring average per game-

LeBron James=31.4(2006)
Michael Jordan= 37.1(1987)

Points Per Game in playoffs-

LeBron James= 28.0
Michael Jordan= 33.4

Jordan was the king of getting in peoples' heads. He backed down from no one, talked trash to anyone, and the game was a psychological game. Michael would torment his opponents physically and mentally, then let you know about it, challenging your manhood.

(Video evidence of torment sessions)

I understand that some people like Michael Jordan better than James. But the reason I like James is because he's fair, tough, always trying, and good. I hope you have seen the last seven games in the NBA. (WARRIORS V.S CAVS) Also, winning doesn't matter. You could also say MJ played MUCH longer than James. You could put some quotes about Michael Jordan, but that doesn't change anything. Also, I say, that your description of MJ is exactly the description of LeBron. He's always going for the ball, which is why I mentioned, 'tough'. You can also see that LeBron James tries his hardest no matter what situation he's in. (You should see what James said at the end of Game 7) Also, I'll say, "What a shame it is for Michael Jordan to lose a game against the Russians when he was on the USA team. He even lost with the help of other good players."
It is true that Jordan put in a lot of effort... but not as much as the Russians did. You do not have enough proof to prove that Michael Jordan is better than LeBron James.

"What a shame it is for Michael Jordan to lose a game against the Russians when he was on the USA team."

This debate isn't about the olympics but about the NBA. Since Con has gone there, Jordan has 2 olympic gold medals, one as an amateur and one as an NBA player. He also won a national championship in college, even hitting the game winning shot in the National Championship game. Bobby Knight (Jordan's olympic coach) said Michael Jordan was the best player he has ever coached or seen.

The 1984 U.S. Olympic team went undefeated in Los Angeles. This was known as Jordan's "coming out party". This team won by an average of 32 points per game and was known as the best U.S. Olympic team ever pre NBA players being allowed to play.

The 1992 U.S. Olympic team went undefeated in Barcelona. This was the original "Dream Team". No one even came close to challenging them. They destroyed every team they played. Their average margin of victory was 43 points.

These were the only 2 Olympics that Jordan played in. He never lost a game.

The first and last time the U.S. lost to the Russians was in 1972. Jordan was not on that team. Michael Jordan was 9 years old in 1972.

KING: You had such extraordinary success at Indiana. You also coached a gold medal Olympic team. You coached Michael Jordan.

KNIGHT: Well, yes. I'm not sure how much anybody coaches him..

KING: What was that like?

KNIGHT: Oh, it was great. I mean, he -- to my way of thinking, he's the best player in a team sport that's ever played anything.

KING: Any team sport?

KNIGHT: Any team sport. Nobody has been able to do the things with a team that Jordan could do.
Posted by brontoraptor 3 months ago

Video evidence
Posted by brontoraptor 3 months ago
Jordan had a relatively short career. He left the Bulls and they couldn't get there. He came back they won won won. He retired again. They hit 6 because he was a warrior who willed out wins. Lebron is the king of excuses.
Posted by Basketball126 3 months ago
You say that it is very unlikely that James will be able to win 6 championships. What you don't realize is that at the same age Lebron is right now, Jordan only had 3 rings, the same as Lebron.
Lebron may not end up being better than Jordan but at this point in their careers Lebron is more impressive. You talk about how Lebron lost in four finals. That simply means that he made it to 4 more finals than Jordan at this point. How is losing in the finals worse than not getting there at all? That doesn't make any sense.
Lebron age 31 Jordan age 31
Championships 3 3
Finals appearances 7 3
Posted by joskoo 3 months ago
What do videos have to do with this debate?