Adam2
Debaser

Michael Richards is not a racist

Adam2

Adam2

Pro

I will argue, similarly, that the persecution of Michael Richards is nothing more than the continuing legacy of the Ku Klux Klan, who tends to love "Friends."
Debaser

Con

I will argue against my opponent's claim that Michael Richards, the actor famous for playing Cosmo Kramer on "Seinfeld," is not a racist and instead put forth the case that he is indeed a racist. I base this position primarily on Richards's infamous outburst at a comedy club in 2006, at which time he repeatedly shouted slang terms offensive to African-Americans in the audience in an entirely unironic and unfunny fashion, made several highly offensive remarks about lynching, and generally took out his frustrations with a few specific people on a much larger group of people based irrationally on the color of their skin, the basic definition of racism. Considering the Ku Klux Klan is itself a racist organization, it follows that any perceived similarity between this group and Richards's beliefs, words and actions could easily suggest that Richards is likewise racist, not the opposite. My opponent's reference to "Friends" appears to be a non sequitur.
Adam2

Pro

I will argue against my opponent's claim that Michael Richards, the actor famous for playing Cosmo Kramer on "Seinfeld," is not a racist and instead put forth the case that he is indeed a racist. I base this position primarily on Richards's infamous outburst at a comedy club in 2006, at which time he repeatedly shouted slang terms offensive to African-Americans in the audience in an entirely unironic and unfunny fashion, made several highly offensive remarks about lynching, and generally took out his frustrations with a few specific people on a much larger group of people based irrationally on the color of their skin, the basic definition of racism.
First of all, Richards never said anything about lynching whatsoever. All he said was they were gonna end up with a "---king fork up their ---." The N word thing was wrong, but don't you think it's possible, based on some reports, that the black man was saying "cracker" to his face, too, and making insult. Doesn't excuse the racial slurs, whatsoever, but it could have been provocation.

Considering the Ku Klux Klan is itself a racist organization, it follows that any perceived similarity between this group and Richards's beliefs, words and actions could easily suggest that Richards is likewise racist, not the opposite. My opponent's reference to "Friends" appears to be a non sequitur.
There are a few problems with this reference. I don't know what Richard's other half is, but I do know he's part-Italian, which would automatically make him hated in the Klan's eyes. Even if Richards was a racist, he wouldn't be able to be part of the Klan, which believes in Nordic supremacy, which he doesn't qualify for. If anything, and this is more a side note, Richards is more eligable for the Nazi party, which is tame in comparison to the Klan. Anyways, the reference to "Friends" is relevant, because I'm establishing a patter of behavior from the heads and people wanting Richards to have resigned, which thankfully, failed. The same people who wanted to call for Richard's resignation, who, by the way, also banned the Puerto Rican day episode of "Seinfeld," did not ban two episodes of "Friends" that were deliberately racist and glorified racism. One episode feature Jennifer Anniston's character as saying she endorsed David Duke, and the audience didn't laugh at it, according to the review, meaning it was serious. Another revolved around mocking black people's hair. So it comes to show that not only is Richards not a racist, but there is also an attempt to persecute Richards.
Debaser

Con

Debaser forfeited this round.
Adam2

Pro

Michael Richards has been a friend of the black community. I should also note that Michael Richards also voluntarily worked alongside the actor who played Jackie Chiles, who played a good black role, not a negative portrayal. We mustn't judge a man by mere words, but by action, and Michael Richards has done a lot for the black community.
Meanwhile, on Friends, Jennifer Aniston unashamedly endorses David Duke, and in another episode a joke revolves around black people's hairs.

Debaser

Con

Debaser forfeited this round.
Adam2

Pro

I honestly don't have much more to say
Debaser

Con

Debaser forfeited this round.
Adam2

Pro

That's it
Debaser

Con

Debaser forfeited this round.
Vote Placed by Blade-of-Truth 2 years ago
Blade-of-Truth
Adam2DebaserTied
Reasons for voting decision: Conduct - Pro. Con forfeited R2, R3, R4, & R5. This is rarely acceptable conduct in any debate setting. For this, Con loses conduct points. S & G - Tie. Neither made any major grammatical or spelling errors. Arguments - Pro. At first, Con came into R1 swinging and was building up a strong case for the remaining debate, unfortunately we didn't hear from Con again for the remainder of the debate. As for Pro, His argument in R2 in regards to the ethnicity of the Kramer making him hated by the KKK automatically. Strong point. Could have most likely been rebutted by Con had he stayed in the debate. Unfortunately, all of Pro's arguments remained standing unchallenged. Due to Pro providing rebuttals to Con's opening argument that I believe were strong, and the fact that he had remaining arguments standing unchallenged, he is awarded argument points. Sources - Tie. Neither utilized sources in this debate.