RepublicanView333
alibaba

Michelle Obama's Comments "for the first time in my adult lifetime, I am really proud of my country"

Con Tied Pro

RepublicanView333

Con

This is absolutly ridiculous...I heard this on the News and i was outraged...If you hadn't heard them then then this is the whole thing straight from the mouth of the potential "First Lady":

"For the first time in my adult lifetime, I'm really proud of my country … not just because Barack has done well, but because I think people are hungry for change," she said. "I have been desperate to see our country moving in that direction and just not feeling so alone in my frustration and disappointment."

This is absolutly ridiculous. Obama was born in 1964, meaning her adult life began in 1982. So...she was never proud when we tore down the Berlin Wall?...When we have sent billions of dollars in relief to Africa for AIDS?...In her countries courage after 9-11 to stand up and live another day?...The Civil Rights Act of 1991?...and only now when her husband is winning the election she decides to be proud of her country...

Do we really want a President who's First Lady isnt proud of her country???

I set up the pins so someone please try to knock 'em down...

...

...

...

...

...
alibaba

Pro

First of all, you asked if we want a first lady who is not proud of her country. However, she just said she was proud of her country. It is clear to me you knocked the pins down on your way out.
RepublicanView333

Con

But she's "proud" for the wrong reasons. the reason she's proud is the people are voting for her husband...who happens to be black...thats ridiculous...
if she's proud were making strives for equality then why wasn't whe proud when we passed the Civil Rights Act of 1991???...To be proud for the first time in fer adult like which has lasted 26 years...:-o...thats ridiculous...

To be a First Lady you have to represent the United States and you have to be proud for all the positive things its don in the last 26 years (tearing the Berlin Wall down, senting billions of dollars in relief to Africa for AIDS, Civil Rights Act of 1991, its courage after 9/11) Just to name a couple...Do u want a Presidents who's wife can't do that...because the only thing she's proud of her country of doing is voting for her husband...

Do i have to say it again...

...
...
...
...
...Ridiculous
alibaba

Pro

alibaba forfeited this round.
RepublicanView333

Con

Welll,...My opponent has failed to reply so ley my arguements stand:

Round 1:

"This is absolutly ridiculous. Obama was born in 1964, meaning her adult life began in 1982. So...she was never proud when we tore down the Berlin Wall?...When we have sent billions of dollars in relief to Africa for AIDS?...In her countries courage after 9-11 to stand up and live another day?...The Civil Rights Act of 1991?...and only now when her husband is winning the election she decides to be proud of her country...

Do we really want a President who's First Lady isnt proud of her country???"

and Round 2:

"But she's "proud" for the wrong reasons. the reason she's proud is the people are voting for her husband...who happens to be black...thats ridiculous...

To be a First Lady you have to represent the United States and you have to be proud for all the positive things its don in the last 26 years (tearing the Berlin Wall down, senting billions of dollars in relief to Africa for AIDS, Civil Rights Act of 1991, its courage after 9/11) Just to name a couple...Do u want a Presidents who's wife can't do that...because the only thing she's proud of her country of doing is voting for her husband..."

So pease come back and defend urself...please
alibaba

Pro

Il will use this round to argue against the feelings my opponent poured over the last couple of rounds.

Like I earlier said, Mrs Obama made the claim that she was proud of her country. Your debate was about her not being proud of the said nation. I hope you and the readers recognize this fact. Mrs Obama is proud of her country. In other words, you worded the title of your debate in an inappropriate manner, perhaps out of the passion you feel against what she represents. On this point alone, I should win the debate. I could close, but I will give my opponent the benefit of the doubt.

"...because the only thing she's proud of her country of doing is voting for her husband..." What you are doing is calling into question her integrity. She clearly made the claim that the voting was not the reason she was proud of her country. The reason for her pride is the fact that "people are hungry for change."

I'll tell you why she is right to be ashamed of everything that has happened in her adult life. Blood for oil. How many people has this country caused to die in its search for oil? Can anybody be proud of a country that kills other people for its financial interests (pardon my statement, the financial interest of its elite???? - Two Gulf Wars)?

You mentioned aid to Africa. How many of the dictators that rob Africa of its worth has Washington had ties with over the years? Mobutu? He visited Washington in during Mrs Obama's adult years, that was 1993 http://en.wikipedia.org....

What is there to be proud about when red and blue cannot come together and talk? Whats there to be proud when inexistent voters decide the outcome of an election (2000, 2004). What is there to be proud when the racial undertone of this debate is so heavy, its title might as well be "don't let the half black man and his black wife into the white house".

"Do u want a Presidents who's wife can't do that...because the only thing she's proud of her country of doing is voting for her husband..." We want a president who can bring law makers together to solve problems that are plaguing this country. Medicare and Medicaid are in a state of decay. We want a leader who can do those. Ohhh, about his wife...she could or could not be proud of her country. She has enough reasons not to be. That says nothing about her abilities as a first lady. If some parties cannot get away with it, it is because they put themselves in such situations

This ought to make my opinionated and open minded readers and my opponent think.
Posted by alibaba 9 years ago
alibaba
I am going to have my friends come over and vote me into victory...Ohh no, that would be just wrong, won't it?
Posted by Chuckles 9 years ago
Chuckles
okay, i believe people make way too big of a deal about this. I could care less if she wasn't proud until now, or if Barack doesn't place his hand over his heart. That's his choice. it has no effect on his ability to run the country. And she had plenty of reasons to be ashamed of this country, as well as reasons to be proud. one could also argue that someone who was not proud of their country could be better fit as president because they see the country's faults.
Posted by left_wing_mormon 9 years ago
left_wing_mormon
What about the issues and the canidates. First ladies are important, yes, only because they are there for looks really. Laura had no responsiblity. I'm not going to come down on Bush the first because his wife said (about the hurricane Katrina victims) "Why don't they go to their summer homes?"

I can hate Bush the First for things like raising taxes on the poor after saying :"Read my lips: No new taxes!"

Look at the canidates not their trophy wives.
Posted by claypigeon 9 years ago
claypigeon
I voted pro because the con said in its first speech that the debate was about whether or not the first lady is proud of her country. BY definition she is. Therefore, like the pro said in his one speech, pro should win.
Posted by zander 9 years ago
zander
I almost voted PRO because CON used the 'word' urself. Otherwise, PRO doesn't really respond to the argument. The topic is awkwardly worded but CON does plenty of work to clarify his position. PRO needed to do more work on her motive for pride, rather than trying to legitimize her shame.
Posted by Daxitarian 9 years ago
Daxitarian
"But she's "proud" for the wrong reasons."

And the right reasons would be?
Posted by alibaba 9 years ago
alibaba
thats because all republicans kiss the flag.
Posted by kels1123 9 years ago
kels1123
I agree with you Con and with you Wingnut. I am so tired of people not holding them accountable for anything. he is running for the Presidency and noone cares to call him on anything.
Posted by wingnut2280 9 years ago
wingnut2280
Can you imagine if a Republican candidate said this, or if a Republican candidate plagiarized a speeech? If the press wasn't married to the Obama's this would be a HUGE deal. But, we see the press take his side again and sweep these things under the rug. Just like on Super Tuesday, when Obama and Hillary virtually tied, but all of the headlines read BIG WIN FOR OBAMA, causing his subsequent nine victories. I hope America opens their eyes before its to late. Don't let the CNN's and Chris Matthews of the world cast your vote. At least Hillary has positions on issues, wrong as they may be.
Vote Placed by Jamesothy 8 years ago
Jamesothy
RepublicanView333alibabaTied
Vote Placed by BB1 9 years ago
BB1
RepublicanView333alibabaTied
Vote Placed by kels1123 9 years ago
kels1123
RepublicanView333alibabaTied
Vote Placed by DJBruce 9 years ago
DJBruce
RepublicanView333alibabaTied
Vote Placed by Bigmomma1 9 years ago
Bigmomma1
RepublicanView333alibabaTied
Vote Placed by texasrulz10 9 years ago
texasrulz10
RepublicanView333alibabaTied
Vote Placed by BronxBomber7 9 years ago
BronxBomber7
RepublicanView333alibabaTied
Vote Placed by aaltobartok 9 years ago
aaltobartok
RepublicanView333alibabaTied
Vote Placed by left_wing_mormon 9 years ago
left_wing_mormon
RepublicanView333alibabaTied
Vote Placed by Gespenst 9 years ago
Gespenst
RepublicanView333alibabaTied