Rockylightning
badger

Middle school students should be required to do community service

Rockylightning

Rockylightning

Pro

Resolved that Middle School STudents should be required to do community service
Community Service: Required 5 hours per school year.
(8th graders not required, only 6th and 7th)

Rounds: 4
Voting period: 2 weeks
Time to argue: 72 hours
Argument Max: 8,000 characters
Spell Check Enabled
Hope for a good debate, good luck!
badger

Con

Off you go.
Rockylightning

Pro

1. Gives kids good values

If kids are required to do community service, they are being told that it's good to help people in need and it's good to help out in the community. It also teaches them to help contribute to their community. By volunteering, kids and teens learn what it means to make and keep a commitment. They learn how to be on time for a job, do their best, and be proud of the results. But they also learn that, ultimately, we're all responsible for the well-being of our communities.

2. Teaches tolerance, job skills, and the benefit of sacrifice.

Community service can help young people decide on their future careers. Are they interested in the medical field? Hospitals and clinics often have teenage volunteer programs. Do they love politics? Kids can work on the real campaigns of local political candidates. Learning to work as a team member, taking on leadership roles, setting project goals — these are all skills that can be gained by volunteering and will serve kids well in any future career. Community service can help young people decide on their future careers. Are they interested in the medical field? Hospitals and clinics often have teenage volunteer programs. Do they love politics? Kids can work on the real campaigns of local political candidates. Learning to work as a team member, taking on leadership roles, setting project goals — these are all skills that can be gained by volunteering and will serve kids well in any future career. By giving up a toy to a less fortunate child, a child learns that sometimes it's good to sacrifice. Cutting back on recreation time to help clean up a beach tells kids that there are important things besides ourselves and our immediate needs.

3. It strengthens the child's family and their community.

Volunteerism is a great way for families to have fun and feel closer. But many people say they don't have the time to volunteer after fulfilling work and family commitments. If that's the case, try rethinking some of your free time as a family. You could select just one or two projects a year and make them a family tradition (for example, making and donating gift baskets to care facilities for the elderly around the holidays). Organizations and agencies that use volunteers are providing important services at low or no cost to those who need them. When a community is doing well as a whole, its individuals are better off, too.

"Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world; indeed, it's the only thing that ever has."
-Margaret Mead

I will expand on these points in the next speech.

VOTE PRO
badger

Con

-1. Gives kids good values

My opponent claims that community service gives kids good values, but has not provided any evidence to back this up. Community service is often used as a punishment for people who have broken the law. He might make it sound good for the children with his list of supposed benefits, but, in essence, it's a punishment. What he proposes could lead to kids growing spiteful... That's hardly a good value?

-2. Teaches tolerance, job skills, and the benefit of sacrifice.

My opponent argues that it could help kids figure out what they want to do with their lives, and I agree completely. But, would it not be more successful in helping them with this if it were done at an older age. Kids are very impressionable, and might become obsessed with and devote themselves to something they will have no interest in after a few years (does anyone remember pokemon cards?). My opponent's resolution calls for him to explain why it would be more beneficial for kids to partake in community service at this age rather than an older one. Surely it would be far more beneficial when the child has a better idea of what he/she might want to pursue.

My opponent appears to have thrown "tolerance" in there just to make his title look fancier.

-3. It strengthens the child's family and their community.

Compulsory labor is not volunteerism.
Rockylightning

Pro

\\Community service is often used as a punishment for people who have broken the law. He might make it sound good for the children with his list of supposed benefits, but, in essence, it's a punishment.//

First off, yes I do have evidence
http://news.google.com...

(I know it's peer pressure, but still it teaches good values, I think the article mentions that too...)

Second of all, if the kids do community service when they're young, it may be a detterent for commiting crimes in the future, for example if a student does community service and dosn't like it he would be less inclined to commit a crime for the reason that he doesn't like community service.

\\\Kids are very impressionable, and might become obsessed with and devote themselves to something they will have no interest in after a few years (does anyone remember pokemon cards?). My opponent's resolution calls for him to explain why it would be more beneficial for kids to partake in community service at this age rather than an older one. Surely it would be far more beneficial when the child has a better idea of what he/she might want to pursue.///

Everyone knows that it's better for younger people to have ideas on what jobs they might want. This way they do not have one year of high-school left and they don't know which subjects to take and what college to go to. My reasoning for defining this debate to 'middle-school students' is because it gives the student more time to choose. The more time the better. If the child does go into something he/she truly doesn't have a passion for, there's still time. Wheras if this ws done in high-school he/she would have barely any time to adapt to a new passion! (Ahhh the good ol' days where pokemon cards were worth more than cash.... good times my friend, good times...)

\\\My opponent appears to have thrown "tolerance" in there just to make his title look fancier.///

Ok that was uncalled for. I put "tolerance" in the title because if a student works with less fortunate students of the same or lower age he will learn to tolerate people with less wealth as him.

\\\Compulsory labor is not volunteerism.///

Technically, they are not volunteering for community service in general, but they CHOOSE to volunteer to a certain organization, that is volunteerism. They get to choose what cause they support.

-----------

Now I ask my opponent this: where is YOUR evidence and YOUR sources. You still have not brought up any main points, and it's not a good time to do that in the rebuttal speech.

Because of these reasons I urge a vote for PRO

badger

Con

"Now I ask my opponent this: where is YOUR evidence and YOUR sources. You still have not brought up any main points, and it's not a good time to do that in the rebuttal speech."

"Because of these reasons I urge a vote for PRO"

"Thank you."

I have a feeling this was inspired by the comments section of my previous debate, but when you're right you're right. I had my final round written out and when I reread it I saw that it was just the two of us throwing opinions at each other with nothing to support them, nor did I even attempt to affirm my side of the resolution, and for these reasons I concede.

Cheers for the debate.
Posted by Rockylightning 7 years ago
Rockylightning
@hax

i wouldn't be talking asian cannibal...
Posted by kristoffersayshi 7 years ago
kristoffersayshi
I volunteer alot back in middle school and I don't like people who do it for hours of points because volunteering is when one does is out of his or her free will, not when a organization requires it. And when my peers completed the required hours, they just don't volunteer because the only motivator - the personal one is no longer there, thus they leave the charity hanging.
Posted by serp777 7 years ago
serp777
Evidence pro?
Posted by haxandrew 7 years ago
haxandrew
HAHAA OMG rocky look at your second pint, you repeated it twice! hahaha a few points down for that...
Posted by Rockylightning 7 years ago
Rockylightning
oh, ok....
Posted by badger 7 years ago
badger
Because I don't know. Maybe I had a traumatic experience involving a badger when I was younger or something.
Posted by Rockylightning 7 years ago
Rockylightning
why not?
Posted by badger 7 years ago
badger
I couldn't tell you.
Posted by Rockylightning 7 years ago
Rockylightning
why's ur name badger?
Vote Placed by CrysisPillar 7 years ago
CrysisPillar
RockylightningbadgerTied
Vote Placed by Rodriguez47 7 years ago
Rodriguez47
RockylightningbadgerTied
Vote Placed by philosphical 7 years ago
philosphical
RockylightningbadgerTied
Vote Placed by Rockylightning 7 years ago
Rockylightning
RockylightningbadgerTied
Vote Placed by Cutty 7 years ago
Cutty
RockylightningbadgerTied
Vote Placed by kingofslash5 7 years ago
kingofslash5
RockylightningbadgerTied
Vote Placed by emmalmalcolm 7 years ago
emmalmalcolm
RockylightningbadgerTied