mikelwallace
littlelacroix

Mike Huckabee is a dishonest man

mikelwallace

Pro

I would like to present a brief debate that Mike Huckabee is a dishonest man, as well as a hypocrite. In my arguments I will present evidence that Huckabee has misled the American people in some matters, and is a hypocrite for calling others "dishonest" when he is anything but.
littlelacroix

Con

Well, I obviously disagree that Mike Huckabee is a dishonest man, otherwise I wouldn't have accepted this challenge. I actually think he is the most honest of all the candidates, both Republican and Democrat, but I need to hear your arguments on why he is a dishonest man. You must set the grounds for this debate.
mikelwallace

Pro

I appreciate you accepting this debate, judging by your profile this may be the only thing that we disagree on.

I will begin with the more obvious things that have shown a lack of honesty in Mike Huckabee. First, his claim to taking the "moral high ground" in not going negative on Governor Mitt Romney is perhaps the most transparent political ploy launched by all of the candidates on both sides. There is a reason nobody in the media is falling for that one, and judging by the poll numbers, people in N.H. aren't falling for it either. He develops this attack add on Romney, and then calls a press conference where he announces that he does not want to air it, and then proceeds to show it to CNN, ABC, MSNBC, FoxNews, etc...Mike is no dummy, he knew where that would lead. This was a great way to have your commercial viewed by millions without having to pay a dime, and if that was all, I would think..."slick Mike, questionable but slick". It doesn't stop there, however, Huckabee went on to claim on "The Tonight Show" that airing the commercial "didn't feel right". He was confronted by a much more clever Sean Hannity who clearly wasn't buying it, who asked him if he didn't want it aired, why show it to the press. All Mike could say was that if he didn't show it, they might think he didn't really have one...great! Then his "conscience" could be totally clear, it would be as though it didn't exist. But he had to show it to the press. Do you actually believe that Mike Huckabee was really all that concerned with whether a few reporters at CNN thought he was "bluffing"? Give me a break Mike. Free air time, and you get to look like the "better man" to those who don't read between the lines anyways. By the way, I have been watching Huckabee in the debates and in his speeches that are aired, and he spends PLENTY of time attacking Mitt Romney, calling him dishonest among other things, so clearly "staying positive" on the other candidates is not really all that important to him.

Another issue with Mr. Huckabee is his little "question" about the beliefs of the LDS Church in a New York Times interview. He said to the interviewer..."don't they (The LDS Church) believe that Jesus and the devil are brothers?" (For the actual beliefs of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints see www.lds.org or ask me in the comments box below and I would be happy to explain them.) Of course Mike was just asking and again, miraculously had no idea that would be in the paper! Really Mike? Just for the record, Mike Huckabee was a baptist minister. No disrespect to the baptist faith, but baptist ministers are extremely well versed not only in the bible, but in the literature of other faiths. They do have a tendency to be well versed in "anti-mormon" literature as well. Mike Huckabee knew the answer to that question, just as sure as he knew asking it would cause it to be read by millions. Im tired of him playing the Innocent and naive victim. He is not being honest with us. These are just two examples where Mike Huckabee has lied to the American people.

P.S.-A good video that sums these arguments up in about 2 minutes.
littlelacroix

Con

First of all, I want it on the record that I believe Mitt Romney will make an excellent president, but I do feel that Huckabee is just a little better.

Although neither of us know Huckabee's state of mind when this ad was created until it was released, I believe that he didn't want to show the ad, but ended up showing it because he didn't want to be called a coward and a liar by the press. To that date, Huckabee was the only candidate to not have launched a negative ad. He felt that he not only should stick up for himself, but also for his co-candidate, John McCain. As for your argument saying that his conscience could be clean, um, no! If that argument is true, then you have won, but thankfully, that is not the case. No matter what, Huckabee and his team had created that ad and whether it was run or not, he would have that on his conscience. By using the press to run it, he still had put it on the air, thus putting this on his conscience. And of course Huckabee should be concerned with reporters being concerned with his "bluffing." Up until a few months ago, Huckabee was an unknown factor in this election, but, thanks to those reporters, he is considered one of the, if not the, leading candidate in the election.

Again, I think that Mitt Romney is an excellent candidate, but it's not to say that he is perfect. If there is one man in this election that is dishonest, it is Mitt. He has lead several attack ads that have purposely been misleading. Romney is quit possibly the smartest candidate, both Republican and Democrat, and if he's getting his facts wrong, it's on purpose. Huckabee is not only more personable than Romney and the other candidates, but he is also more honest than them.

I had decided to postpone this round no longer and if this argument hasn't won it yet for the con, then I will presumably attack the religion argument, if you would kindly inform me on their views, but I already had more than enough information for this round.
mikelwallace

Pro

A few more of Huckabees lies:

"I'm as strong on terror as anybody. In fact I think I'm stronger than most people because I truly understand the nature of the war that we are in with Islamofascism. These are people that want to kill us. It's a theocratic war. And I don't know if anybody fully understands that. I'M THE ONLY GUY ON THAT STAGE WITH A THEOLOGY DEGREE. I think I understand it really well."

"As the only presidential candidate with a THEOLOGY DEGREE, along with years of political experience, I know that theology is black and white, but politics is not."

"Anytime you have been a person who was identified as a pastor and you've got a seminary education and THEOLOGY DEGREE, people tend to worry about you," Huckabee told the Values Voter Summit in Washington last month.

TRUTH:

He spent a year at Southwestern Baptist Theological Seminary in Fort Worth, Tex., before dropping out to work for the televangelist James Robison, who bought him his first decent wardrobe and showed him how to use television.

Governor Huckabee doesn't have a theology degree. He only spent a year in seminary.
-From a Huckabee staff member

Source: http://bravenewfilms.org...

http://www.worldnetdaily.com...

http://www.herald-mail.com...

When asked about the National Intelligence Estimate (NIE) in Iran, Mike had no idea what to say. He defended himself by arguing: "The report was released at 10:00 in the morning" (Dec. 4). A few days later he reaffirmed "The report came out at ten in the morning and it was like five in the afternoon".
It was revealed later that the report had actually come out the day before, (Dec. 3). Why can't Huckabee just admit he was too lazy to prepare himself by reading the report that everyone else seemed to know about?

In a recent debate, when Huckabee was put on the spot about his bill giving the children of illegal immigrants scholarships and in state tuition, he defended it by saying that: "The bill...only applied to a student who had schooled in Arkansas from the age of five to six onward...(and they) had to apply for citizenship"
The reality is that the bill, (which Mike knows...its his bill) only requires a student to have attended three years of high school (meaning they could start schooling in Arkansas at 15...not 5) and were only asked to sign an affidavit stating that they had intentions of eventually applying for citizenship. Sounds different than they..."had to apply for citizenship".

It seems when put on the spot, he tends to go a bit beyond "sugar-coating" to avoid looking bad.

On October 21, Huckabee told a crowd that "most of the signers of the Declaration of Independence were clergymen". While I agree that most were Christian, only 1 of the 56 signers were ever clergymen. (www.politifact.com)

I think readers will also find this website very interesting:

http://plutarch01.wordpress.com...
littlelacroix

Con

I'm going to make this final argument short and sweet.

First of all, there were no attacks from my previous argument and thus you must have agreed with everything that I said, forfeiting every single argument you made in your second speech. Mike Huckabee was just sticking up for himself and Romney has purposely been the one misconstruing his ads.

Second, I still don't get the entire religion argument, but it really sounds like you are holding a personal grudge against the man just because of his religious beliefs. If that's not the case, well, I'm sorry but you should have continued it in your last speech.

Third, I think that the only thing that you have proved in your last round is that Huckabee isn't the greatest public speaker and was a little nervous in front of the camera, which was viewing to almost 300 million people. About the whole theology argument, Huckabee had thought about what he had said earlier and had retracted his statement, telling the truth a few weeks later, the date being December 14th (I believe):

"I have a bachelor of arts in religion and a minor in communications in my undergraduate work. And then I have 46 hours on a master's degree at Southwestern Theology Seminary. So, my degree as a theological degree is at the college level and then 46 hours toward a masters -- three years of study of New Testament Greek, and then the rest of it, all in Seminary was theological studies, but my degree was actually in religion."

Although he is a bad public speaker, and he has said things that he has probably later come to regret, there are more things to being a good president. I don't think that Huckabee is a dishonest man, I think that his nerves may have gotten the better of him, but would not lie on purpose. As you said before, his actions would be to promote himself but keep his conscience clear, no man on Earth could lie to keep a clean conscience. Keep that in mind when you are voting for Romney, there isn't a clear conscience, there's more under that "poofy" hair than meets the eye.

Good debate and good luck in the voting.

GO HUCKABEE!!!
Posted by mikelwallace 9 years ago
mikelwallace
I dont think that after his "change the Constitution to fit God's law" comment, he should even be considered for any public office. I am a Christian Latter Day Saint, but I realize that there are people in this country who are not Christian, their view of God's law may not be in acordance with his, and who endowed him with the right to alter their governing document to fit his interpretation of the Bible? He is dangerous, and that comment along with his belief that being President is a part of his "ministry" makes him the most dangerous candidate this Nation has ever seen. "When facsism comes to this country, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a Cross"
-Sinclair Lewis
Posted by DrewM 9 years ago
DrewM
Huckabee clearly has been dishonest. He is running to be Pastor-in-Chief of the United Bigots of America. May Romney win!
Posted by mikelwallace 9 years ago
mikelwallace
For the most part, Huckabee is a social conservative, like when it comes to abortion, gay marriage, etc...However on the economy he is moderate at best, and in the eyes of most conservatives he is liberal. On amnesty he has a liberal record. On crime he is without a doubt a bleeding heart liberal. Over 1000 pardons including 4 convicted murderers, one of whom commited rape and murder less than a year after release. It is funny to me that his supporters still try to defend that one.
Posted by breaker11 9 years ago
breaker11
Statesman-
Tell me how Mike Huckabee is a liberal. That is a false statement.
Posted by brotherpatriot 9 years ago
brotherpatriot
(QUOTE)Huckabee is the most honest candidate in the race. He stands firmly by his beliefs(UnQUOTE)

Yeah, he believes in himself for sure. To bad he isnt a true Constitutionalist. Or at least believe in it.
Posted by mikelwallace 9 years ago
mikelwallace
it is interesting debating a fellow conservative, like i said, judging from your profile, this may be the only area where you and i disagree.
Posted by Statesman 9 years ago
Statesman
Mike Huckabee is a liberal running as a conservative. Every time he calls himself a conservative he's uttering another lie.
Posted by littlelacroix 9 years ago
littlelacroix
Then why couldn't you have briefly mentioned them. Without even a brief mentioning of them, to me anyways, you dropped them entirely. Sorry if that's not what you meant by that though. Good debate anyways! It's interesting to debate Republican vs. Republican. I'm always up against a Democrat and I'm kinda bored of it.

PS - I really don't mind Romney and will vote for him if he gets the nomination.
Posted by mikelwallace 9 years ago
mikelwallace
For the record, I did not take back any of my previous arguments, I just did not feel that there was any need to persue them further, I believe that a majority of people ouside of Iowa see the dishonesty in those things, and I wanted to move on to my third agrument, regardless of your response.
Posted by mikelwallace 9 years ago
mikelwallace
Just for the record breaker11: On saturday night's debate, Huckabee took a cheap shot at Romney, not sure if you saw it, but Romney actually paused and said to Mike that it would be best if they could debate policy and stay away from personal attacks. A few days later, at a Huckabee rally in N.H. he again called Romney a liar, told the people to be cautious, referring to how many times Romney has gone hunting (nothing to do with politics) a clear personal attack. So I was paying attention in the most recent debate...obviously. Perhaps you should pay more attention to the several other events going on besides the single debate you are referring to.
Vote Placed by Excessum 7 years ago
Excessum
mikelwallacelittlelacroixTied
Vote Placed by Mangani 8 years ago
Mangani
mikelwallacelittlelacroixTied
Vote Placed by littlelacroix 8 years ago
littlelacroix
mikelwallacelittlelacroixTied
Vote Placed by Shmishmortion 8 years ago
Shmishmortion
mikelwallacelittlelacroixTied
Vote Placed by DemosthenesC 8 years ago
DemosthenesC
mikelwallacelittlelacroixTied
Vote Placed by huntertracker6 8 years ago
huntertracker6
mikelwallacelittlelacroixTied
Vote Placed by dfhahadfh 8 years ago
dfhahadfh
mikelwallacelittlelacroixTied
Vote Placed by Insene 8 years ago
Insene
mikelwallacelittlelacroixTied
Vote Placed by ahole 8 years ago
ahole
mikelwallacelittlelacroixTied
Vote Placed by kykrebs 8 years ago
kykrebs
mikelwallacelittlelacroixTied