shevlinmsc2014
garciamsc2014

Miley Cyrus as a role model

garciamsc2014

shevlinmsc2014

Pro

Miley Cyrus will definitely get out of this phase. She is only 20 years old and just trying to express herself and find out who she really is. This is just a phase, it will eventually pass over. Starting off on Disney Channel, everyone knew her as Hannah Montana and this is just a way to escape from that identity and show that she is not pop star Hannah Montana anymore, she is grown up.
garciamsc2014

Con

This 'phase' Miley is going through is almost certainly to distance herself from the 'Hannah Montana' persona, but Miley is letting herself go too far, and continues to try to be a role model in the process. From her very public breakup with Liam Hiemsworth to her performance at the VMA's, Miley isn't setting a good example for the pre-teen and teen girls who look up to her. Even though Miley is no longer Hannah Montana, and she is no longer associated with Disney, she is still a role model for the girls, like me, who grew up with her. Her actions as of late do not set an appropriate example for teenage girls as they grow up.
shevlinmsc2014

Pro

True, but as far as the VMA's go, she accomplished what she was hoping to accomplish; she wanted people's attention. As provocative is it may have been, there is much worse she could do. Her breakup with Liam Hemsworth was also not her fault for it being so public, that is her life, not much is private. Personally, the thing I admire most about her is that she is being herself and not trying to be anyone or anything she is not just to please others. To me, that is much more important than her trying to please the general public.
garciamsc2014

Con

Miley's VMA performance defiantly gained attention, but not all attention is good. She could have easily gained the attention she deserved with a gut-wrenching, tear-jerking performance of Wrecking Ball. Without all of the gimmicks and the nudity of the video, the song Wrecking Ball is sung beautifully. Miley might be trying to be herself, but twerking, the hair cut, and the slinky outfits have all been done before by other artists and performers. I'm not saying that she is unoriginal but Miley defiantly isn"t the first or the last to use those methods to get attention. Plus, her behavior is not setting a good example for the millions of girls who look up to her.
shevlinmsc2014

Pro

So are you saying that if I do the same dance move as an artist or do my hair like them that I am not still expressing myself, but rather just copying them? So much is 'trademarked' as her's. When we think of "twerking" we think of Miley, we refer to that haircut as "Miley Cyrus hair" and they sell Halloween costumes, sweatshirts, and other clothing related to her bear We Can Stop costume from the VMAs all over the country. That being said, whether her influence is positive or negative, there is no doubt that she does have an influence on people all over the world.
garciamsc2014

Con

First off, twerking originated in Atlanta night clubs, and Miley is not the first artist to have twerked. Her haircut is extremely similar to that of the artist Pink. And yes her bear costume from the VMA's is being marketed around the world because she is famous. You are correct when you say that Miley has influence in the world but as a role model for young girls, that influence is not a good thing. There are many reasons why Miley is not a good role model for teenage girls.

First, she flaunts her body. Not only in her VMA performance, but it is a wide known fact that pictures of Miley, taken by her own phone, in her underwear are on the internet. Having a positive body image is a good factor, but the way that she flaunts it basically sends the message to teens that its alright to post and send pictures like this to people or the internet. Secondly, Miley seems to have no respect for her body. Like I stated before, Miley isn't fazed by showing the world her body. But respect for her body also includes the drugs that she is probably using. In many of her songs, Miley sings lyrics that reference party drugs such as purp and molly. There have also been many pictures taken of Miley while she was smoking a bong. That is defiantly not setting a good example for young girls to follow.
shevlinmsc2014

Pro

I understand what you are saying but what I don't understand is how everyone is so fixated on her being such a bad person. Like you just said, she didn't create any of the stuff we associate her with, so why is she blamed for her decisions? People used and abused molly other drugs way before Miley did. She makes mistakes, she's human, whatelse do you expect. Personally, just because she is famous, she she should be expected to be flawless.
garciamsc2014

Con

I am not saying that Miley is a bad person, because she isn't. I personally believe that she is just going through a phase and the drugs, twerking and raunchy clothing will pass along with her Hannah Montana act. The debate, however, is about her being a good role model for young girls. While no one is perfect and everyone makes mistakes, Miley shouldn't act as if actions do not affect others. Who knows what some young girl might go out and try, knowing that her idol is doing drugs and flaunting her body. I know most teenage girls have more sense than to go an do drugs, but with their idol bragging about it, plus added peer pressure from friends, they could easily be influenced into making bad, possibly harmful decisions. Miley is allowed to make her mistakes, take risks, be a 20-something just living her life, but when that life is being lived in front of the entire world, it would be wise to make better decisions.
shevlinmsc2014

Pro

True, very true but all I'm saying is people chose who they want to look up to and no one's facing them to view Miley Cyrus as an icon. Yes, she has made some bad decisions but for some reason people still are fixated on her, if she was really all that bad of a role model, people would not look up to her and she would have faded away by now. And let's face it, if Miley wasn't acting the way she is, the world would be focused on tearing another artist's flaws apart. So in conclusion, Miley is a role model, her phase will blow over, everybody makes mistakes and nobody is perfect so it is not right to hold hers against her.
garciamsc2014

Con

Miley Cyrus is viewed as an icon because of her fame. She received that fame when she was young, innocent and pretty harmless. Now that her image has evolved, she continues to be an icon because of her fame that she gained when she was making good decisions. People shouldn't look up to her, and I know a lot of parents that advise their children strongly against looking up to Miley as a role model. Yes Miley may be a role model, her phase probably will blow over, and everyone does make mistakes, but being in a public eye and making those mistakes and bad decisions does not, in any way, make Miley Cyrus a GOOD role model for young girls and teens alike.
Posted by StoneWizzard 1 year ago
StoneWizzard
This piece of dirt is nothing more than a stinking slut!! "A Roll model"? For what........being a harlot!!!!! Wow, how many of you would want YOUR daughter growing up to be like this corn cob?
Posted by CookieMonster9 1 year ago
CookieMonster9
Marshy is right. I wouldn't want my daughter saying that either.
Posted by BearWithMe 1 year ago
BearWithMe
@Moonlightdreams Pretty sure she isn't fixated on any nude pictures of her, it's not like she is pushing it. There's nothing wrong with supporting trans/gay marriage. If I had a child then I would want them supporting trans/gay marriage.
Posted by M4sturDebater 1 year ago
M4sturDebater
She's a mom?
Posted by Marshy8888 1 year ago
Marshy8888
It may be but a phase, but Miley Cirus is basicly a stripper. She dance's in her underwear and "Twerks" males. She is also a mother at the age most people are at Post-Education. So, to review, if I had a12 year old daughter, I would not want her to see Miley Cirus and say," I want to be like her"
Posted by Moonlightdreams 1 year ago
Moonlightdreams
It doesn't matter on why she is doing it, or if she's not doing anything wrong, at least to you.
Miley is simply not a role model for anybody, especially teens or children.
Are you all saying nude photos, sensual songs, supporting transgender/gay marriage etc. is good examples?
The exact question is, would you want your own child to grow up and act as if she were Miley?
I'd think not.
Posted by Fuzzed 1 year ago
Fuzzed
I feel mad for Cyrus.
She was forced into the good girl routine by Disney, and when she tried to explore even a little sexuality (as we all do at that age) with that bare back magazine cover, she was publicly critisized by millions of ADULTS and forced to apologize profusely.
This is exactly what happens in my home country with girls forced into extreme religious lives without they choice involved. Once their old enough to leave and explore their sexuality, they go wild. They are HUNGRY to be seen as adult sexual creatures.
Posted by thatkiidsean 1 year ago
thatkiidsean
Those that haven't always been Miley fans will see her as a role model, as she is expressing her freedom as an adult and as a human being to do whatever she wants and be herself. Those that have always been Miley fans will see a transformation from a Disney "hero" to a wh*re because of the way she acts, dresses, and performs. It all depends on the perspective you look at this from.
Posted by GDBH 1 year ago
GDBH
www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZkX_bbsUMvQ
Posted by GDBH 1 year ago
GDBH
www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZkX_bbsUMvQ
Vote Placed by OtakuJordan 3 years ago
OtakuJordan
shevlinmsc2014garciamsc2014Tied
Reasons for voting decision: Pro started out arguing that Miley is a good role model, but then made statements such as "That being said, whether her influence is positive or negative, there is no doubt that she does have an influence on people all over the world" and "She makes mistakes, she's human, whatelse do you expect. Personally, just because she is famous, she she should be expected to be flawless." Con did a good job of pointing out that Miley's behavior is not something we would want our children to emulate, and Pro could only respond with a mantra of nobody is perfect. I would have liked to see some sources in this debate. Seriously, guys? How hard can it be to find a source to cite on celebrity behavior?