indianajones644
PoeJoe

Miley Cyrus is a horrible role model.

indianajones644

Pro

I'm talking about Miley Cyrus, the person herself, not Hannah Montana. I will begin debating once my challenge is accepted. Thank you and good luck.
PoeJoe

Con

My opponent has submitted that "Miley Cyrus is a horrible role model."

I shall define "horrible" using the following definitions:

"Provoking horror" - Princeton's WordNet
"A thing that causes horror" - Wiktionary
"A terrifying thing, particularly a prospective bad consequence asserted as likely to result from an act" - Wiktionary
"A person wearing a comic or grotesque costume in a parade of horribles" - Wiktionary
"Causing horror; terrible; shocking; tremendously wrong or errant" - Wiktionary
"Histories is a series of illustrated books published in the United Kingdom by Scholastic." - Nationmaster

Ummm... my opponent bears the burden of proof. She must prove with little to no doubt that Miley Cyrus matches the above criteria is some way. I leave the floor open to my opponent.
indianajones644

Pro

"A terrifying thing, particularly a prospective bad consequence asserted as likely to result from an act" - Wiktionary"

A prospective bad consequence (following in the footsteps of Miley Cyrus, taking nude/semi-nude pics along with compromising poses w/her father. Refusing to use large income to fund reasearch/help an organization, refuse to do interviews for fans. Hanging around with a shady guy, caught in bed. Overall, a bad role model for young girls.) asserted as likely to result from act.

My 6 year old cousins worships this "Miley Cyrus". She dresses like her, talks like her, acts like her. This disturbs me.

These following facts are "Causing horror; terrible; shocking; tremendously wrong or errant" - Wiktionary.

Wikipedia.com- In her movie, Hannah Montana & Miley Cyrus: Best of Both Worlds Concert, there is a scene where she and her dad did not put their seatbelts on, causing her to be labeled by some newspapers as a "bad role model". On April 25, 2008, the televised entertainment program Entertainment Tonight reported that Cyrus had posed topless for a photo shoot with Vanity Fair. First saying "No, I mean I had a big blanket on. And I thought, this looks pretty, and really natural. I think it's really artsy. It wasn't in a skanky way.… And you can't say no to Annie. She's so cute. She gets this puppy-dog look and you're like, okay." later saying "I took part in a photo shoot that was supposed to be ‘artistic' and now, seeing the photographs and reading the story, I feel so embarrassed. I never intended for any of this to happen and I apologize to my fans who I care so deeply about." Why would Miley Cyrus want to appear to be naked? Does she not feel any responsibility towards the millions of little girls who idolize her? Where are her parents in all of this? Oh wait, they're on the set? They said she looks 'natural'? Nothing less than child pornogrophy. And this "Annie" as she calls her happens to be a lesbian. O_o
Photos from my space: http://www.chrisd.ca...
http://lh6.ggpht.com...
http://www.thehollywoodgossip.com...
http://teenscoop.files.wordpress.com...
http://cache.defamer.com...
http://www.thahotseat.com...
http://tv.popcrunch.com...
http://lh5.ggpht.com...
http://i32.tinypic.com...
http://chaozengine.com...
PoeJoe

Con

----Reminder----

The common rules of debate stipulate that no new arguments may be introduced in a closing argument. Therefore, any new argument made by my opponent from this point on must be ignored. indianajones644, you have been notified that you may not introduce anything new in a closing argument.

----Counterarguments-----

My opponent starts off by asserting that Miley Cyrus is a "prospective bad consequence". However, my opponent fails to prove these statements; my opponent must prove that Miley Cyrus is in fact a "prospective bad consequence". She only provides one example of this (the anecdotal piece below) that is clearly debunked. Choosing to work with the definition she chooses, my opponent MUST PROVE THAT MILEY CYRUS WILL CAUSE A SIGNIFICANT AMOUNT OF HER FANS TO DO BAD THINGS. However, my opponent while bearing the burden of proof, offers little to no evidence of this.

My opponent then goes on with a personal anecdote. She asserts that her cousins emulate Miley Cyrus, and that she has derived "terror" from this. However, that evidence holds no value for two main reasons. First, the validity of her claims are completely unverifiable. How can we, as the listeners to her argument, verify that she has become truly "terrified"? And moreover, it is impossible for us to know if she even has cousins that emulate Miley Cyrus. The burden of proof must be met, as it clearly has not been. Secondly, even if we could verify all of the above, her argument would still be void: One trivial anecdote does not prove a resolution. Again, my opponent must meet the burden of proof

My opponent then goes on to try to prove that Miley Cyrus is "terrible", "shocking", "tremendously wrong or errant", and "causes horror". I'd hate to be in your shoes!

I'll go point by point:

1) Miley's not wearing a seat belt is neither horrific nor tremendously wrong and errant. Her actions aren't terrible nor are they shocking. In fact, around 20% of Americans do not wear seat belts![1] My opponent must prove how wearing a seat belt is "horrific" and has clearly not.
2) I'll agree that child pornography is certainly "horrific". However unlike what my opponent believes, I do not believe that the Vanity Fair photos can be classified as child porn. The photo is clearly art, and does not show anything inappropriate.[2]
3) My opponent then lists photos of Miley that my opponent apparently sees as provocative. Again, that's nice to know. However, my opponent must prove that these pictures are horrific. Where is the scientific poll that shows that the public saw these photos as terrifying? And furthermore, my opponent MUST prove that these photos will lead a significant amount of Miley's fans to do bad things.

My opponent has clearly not met the burden of proof in all aspects of her argument. By default, the audience should vote CON.

----References----

[1] www-nrd.nhtsa.dot.gov/pdf/nrd-30/NCSA/RNotes/2006/810677.pdf
[2] http://www.telegraph.co.uk...
indianajones644

Pro

As far as I am aware, there a no rules such a those on Debate.org. Only the terms of service. Please tell me where exactly on this website you found your information.--

You need proof that my cousin idolizes Miley Cyrus? Would you like to meet her, mate? Is that what you're asking? I can't show any other proof. I could take a picture, but you might suggest that she just put on the Miley Cyrus T-shirt because I asked her to. But suppose you did meet her in person. She could tell you about how much she loves Hannah Montana, but who knows; she could be lying, right? When it gets down to it, how can anyone believe anything is fact unless you trust the source. Or the source's source. Where do facts come from? When does it end? Suppose I did supply you with statistics:

1 out of 3 children died in car crashes, because after seeing Miley Cyrus disreagarding the seatbelt law, the felt it was no longer necessary.

That was fake, quite obviously, but what if it wasn't? Though if I had found it on the internet, how am I to prove it wasn't made up by someone else. Even if I did, you are to ignorant to accept you are wrong! Though on the other hand, how are you to prove it's false? And if you came up with the "facts", I could refuse to believe you, for how could you provide facts that your facts are real. And that those facts are real, and that those one's are real, and so on. How sir, can you say anything is fact, if you refuse to trust, to believe?
PoeJoe

Con

----I'm going to ignore her blatant ad hominem----

- "Even if I did, you are to ignorant to accept you are wrong!"

----Stuffs----

- "I can't show any other proof."

That was my point. One single personal anecdote does not prove an entire resolution.

- "When it gets down to it, how can anyone believe anything is fact unless you trust the source... When does it end?"

The Debate.org users accepts major current events; statistics, data, and findings from notable sources; and historical examples. "It ends" when you come up with actual evidence--NOT a personal anecdote. While a personal anecdote can be made up, a report can be verified by everyone on Debate.org. What's important is that evidence is verifiable.

I believe that the winner of this debate is fairly clear.
Posted by meadow_55 8 years ago
meadow_55
i think that indianajones644 i 100% right and i happen to know she is up one her facts of miley cyrus and that she is a teen with the pressure of hollywood and she fell down the same path as most teen stars, like lindsey lohan and brittney spears. Miley is a role model to kids even under 5 and the fact that she has taken sexual photos proves that she doesn't need to be idolized by billions she needs to tone down and remember that she is also hannah montana! a star on disney channel! WATCHED BY CHILDREN! i understand that she wants to appeal to people her age but then she signed with hannah montana! (of course if she didn't then she wouldn't be famous cause if you really listen to her...SHE CANT SING all that well)

she needs to understand she is a children country/pop star not a grown up rocker, (which just makes her a hypocrite, which also doesn't need to be thought to kids)
Posted by Ragnar_Rahl 8 years ago
Ragnar_Rahl
"
The common rules of debate stipulate that no new arguments may be introduced in a closing argument. "

Those are the rules of formal VERBAL debates, adopted when time constraints made sure that "closing arguments" had to be really "Closing."

Debate.org has no such time constraints, and no need for such nonsense.
Posted by Ragnar_Rahl 8 years ago
Ragnar_Rahl
"I'd like to remind the audience to not abuse the comments system by providing either side with arguments/evidence"

First, nowhere in the site's terms does this define that as abuse. Second, I think the side in question has a profound enough dislike of me already that they wouldn't use any such arguments anyway :D.
Posted by PoeJoe 8 years ago
PoeJoe
For the record, I hate Miley Cyrus.
Posted by PoeJoe 8 years ago
PoeJoe
It's called "semantics debating" (highly frowned down on). I'll get into full swing in R2 though if my opponent has the decency to make a better argument. You see, the burden of proof is affixed to her, not me. She has to prove that Miley Cyrus is a horrible role model, while all I have to do is to dispute her claims. It would have been beneficial for me to have made my own arguments nonethless, but like I said, I'll get into full swing for my R2.
Posted by Nik 8 years ago
Nik
Forgive me for my ignorance, as I am a rookie to online debating, but why are you basing your entire argument on the word "horrible" rather than actually arguing why Miley Cyrus is actually a good role model? which I assume you should be doing considering you are the con to the argument. I had presumed this was DEBATING.com not WIKTIONARY.com, please forgive me if I am incorrect.
Posted by PoeJoe 8 years ago
PoeJoe
I'd like to remind the audience to not abuse the comments system by providing either side with arguments/evidence. Please do this after the debate has concluded. Thank you.
Posted by Ragnar_Rahl 8 years ago
Ragnar_Rahl
I agree. She refused a million-dollar offer to star in a spot for condom commercials. Can't tell which is worse role-modelling, teaching people not to make money, or teaching people that condoms are a bad thing. She, unfortunately, sends both messages to impressionable teens, resulting if her message is effective in them ending up both poor and pregnant.
Vote Placed by Loserboi 6 years ago
Loserboi
indianajones644PoeJoeTied
Vote Placed by JBlake 8 years ago
JBlake
indianajones644PoeJoeTied
Vote Placed by PoeJoe 8 years ago
PoeJoe
indianajones644PoeJoeTied
Vote Placed by Rezzealaux 8 years ago
Rezzealaux
indianajones644PoeJoeTied
Vote Placed by gahbage 8 years ago
gahbage
indianajones644PoeJoeTied
Vote Placed by Logical-Master 8 years ago
Logical-Master
indianajones644PoeJoeTied
Vote Placed by Kals 8 years ago
Kals
indianajones644PoeJoeTied
Vote Placed by s0m31john 8 years ago
s0m31john
indianajones644PoeJoeTied
Vote Placed by Labrat228 8 years ago
Labrat228
indianajones644PoeJoeTied
Vote Placed by Danielle 8 years ago
Danielle
indianajones644PoeJoeTied