colourburst
jacky225

Military Service for all between 16 and 21

colourburst

Con

I mean of course joining the military is a noble tribute towards your country, but why at such a young age? 16-21 is quite young, in fact, just considered young adults. It was scientifically proven by the university of Wales, that between the age of 14-21, we have more resourceful minds than anyone else. So why not be allowed to put this to sue,m for something else? Everyone has their own freedom of choice, so no one should be forced to join the military just because their told to dos o. They have to have the time to enjoy their young adulthood and after all, most of them wouldn't want to join the military because of that.
jacky225

Pro

Yes, I agree that the ages of 14-21 are when an adult is most resourceful, unfortunately that resourcefulness is wasted in that time. During this time, adolescence on a majority instead of using there resourcefulness on advancing themselves into the future, use there intellect to do very stupid thing. It is proven adolescence are very intuitive, much higher susceptible to developing addictions and have a higher rate of mental instability. This is normal as if one remembers, being a young adult is a time of uncertainty and instability. Unfortunately, many fail in creating a stable environment for themselves and fall into a numerous types of problems that will impact their development there entire lives. The military solves many of these problems by teaching adolescence core principles that are very rare to find in everyday life. It teaches them discipline, respect, honor loyalty, in a way that no other institution, experience or environment can provide. These are traits many teens fail to learn in there early lives and the lack of them continues to plague them later in their lives. It is necessary to teach them these values in the hopes that a society that is full of these values is created.
colourburst

Con

colourburst forfeited this round.
jacky225

Pro

Well, seems like victory is the military. XD
colourburst

Con

Sorry I missed Round 2, I totally forgot about this:p

True, you might say that the military would teach them discipline, respect and loyalty, but what about the bad qualities that they adapt to? You would become aggressive, cold-hearted, misunderstanding... it could all be the cause of the military (especially since young people are more vulnerable) Fighting in video games might look easy,but real life is always harder. 16 year olds, being the youngest in the concerned age group, how can they manage it? Many soldiers have to live with life-long physical injuries, don't they? The loss of a limb or two is the most obvious example.
Soldiers can also face lifelong mental difficulties. The constant stress of being in the military, watching their friends die for their country's sake, is too much to bear. Even most veterans commit suicide because they can't deal with it. (Like Tommy Lee Jones character in Heaven and Earth)

Troops serving are risking their life and limb for corporate profits, not for freedom, democracy or protection of their country. They must all know this since it's so obvious to anyone, right? As David Icke once said, "When you join the military you are not serving your country. You are serving an evil cabal that wants to enslave you. Also, Henry Kissinger said, "Military men are just dumb, stupid animals to be used as pawns in foreign policy"
So why would they agree to give up their life and limb to serve greedy corrupt corporations? No sane person would do that. especially since the elites and politicians that sent them to war refuse to send their own sons to fight in it. Don't the troops care about hypocrisy?
What's ridiculous is that if a private citizen committed murder, he/she would go to jail or get the death penalty. But f the government murders thousands or millions of innocent people, the no one responsible goes to jail or receives capital punishment for murdering thousands. This is based on the principle that government= justice, so anything it does (including murdering many innocent people for profit and conquest) must be right and moral, since might makes right.
jacky225

Pro

My opponent makes a terrible assumtion that all Military men and women are quote aggressive, cold-hearted, misunderstanding... That is a oppinionated statement which his following arguements tend to follow. He has shown no proof, refrencing movies and videogames as his source of logic. He assumes that all milatary men ar cold-hearted people. If he ever met someone from the military he would have known that there are many charismatic and entertaining indeviduals. My opponent also is misleading due to the fact that he is insinuating that the only thing the military does is engage in wars intentionally. One can join the military and may never experience war.
Also if military service was compulsery for ages 16 up one would have to assume that he would not be fit for physical combat until he completed at least 1-2 years of training. That would mean that the young indevidual would not be effective for a combatative situation until he was 18 years of age. This is the age that one is allowed to choose to join the military and they are considered an adult. Compulsery military service is without a doubt an effective startagy to teach the morals based above.
My opponent also insinuates that it is not ok for anyone the ages under 21 to lose a limb saying 16 year olds, being the youngest in the concerned age group, how can they manage it? Many soldiers have to live with life-long physical injuries, don't they? But implies that losing a limb over the age of 21 is ok? This is obvioulsy flawed logic and should be considered a pointless arguement.
Lastly my opponent implies that ALL military service is a corprate back facade to create cash. This is untrue in most of the world where countries enfore Military service as basic protection against other countries and regemes that would prefer to invade and destroy thier country. Basic military knolage helps comunities, states and countries defend them selves. It makes it harder for a country to enslave and supress its own population with its permenant military, when Its own citizens have not only the numerical advantage, but also have the military knolage and capabilites to fight against supressiive regimes.

In closing my opponent has failed to show facts or reasoning supporting his arguement, showing that his view points are not only flawwed but also are limited to a small ammount of countries where this could be applicable. He ignores the countries that create a military for self defense and insinuates a lot of things that are untrue.

Thank you for creating a debate, I hope we can debate some other time!
Posted by colourburst 3 years ago
colourburst
I'm not actually refering to a specific country, I'm just saying in general 'should 16- 21 year olds be forced to join the military?'
Posted by jacky225 3 years ago
jacky225
* devils advocate
Posted by jacky225 3 years ago
jacky225
I am simply defending the idea of compulsory military service such as in countries Switzerland. Also, keep in mind this is your debate so, I am simply arguing against your side as a way to advance my debating skills. I am playing the devils, so if you would like to specify the topic feel free to do so.
Posted by sengejuri 3 years ago
sengejuri
Hi, I will debate you on this topic but I have a few questions for clarification first. I'm not quite clear on what/who you are arguing against. The American and British Armies, as well as many other countries don't allow enlistment without parental consent until age 18, so there is not military service at age 16. Also, no one is forcing people to join the military in most western countries. Are you talking about a different country perhaps?