THEVIRUS
corey561

Military Video Game Funding and Contest

Started: 1/14/2013 Category: Technology

THEVIRUS

Pro

Technology and weaponry are advancing, and robots are being tested to send into battle instead of soldiers. I think there should be more funding for this, and a contest to select the best gamers to serve our country, console or pc.
corey561

Con

I'd like to start off with this debate by stating that I'm arguing against having video game 'controlled' robotic soldiers. I am suggesting that we debate about having robotic soldiers instead of people in round 2, debate about a contest to control these robots in round 3, and have our closing statements in round 4. You should have the honors of going first this time. Cheers!
THEVIRUS

Pro

I strongly side with robots over people.

Boston Dynamics is also working on a lizard-like wall-scaling camera. If we can send these armor plated robots in instead of people, it would be better for the entire world. Eventually though, war might become pointless (if it isn't already)
corey561

Con

I have seen this video before, and to this day, I'm fascinated about how they program it to do that! Anyway, while these are great inventions and have great potential, I don't think robots, even if they are improved, should be on the battlefield. Logical humans on the other side can figure out ways to destroy these robots. While it will save soldiers lives, if we keep losing robots it will make the government lose money, and thus worsening the economy. When a soldier signs up to be in the army, he or she is dedicating their life to the army. Personally, I don't think robots will never gain a consciousness as clearly as humans do, which will cause them to lose in war.
THEVIRUS

Pro

Human "players" would remove the illogicalness, but the infinite lives must be changed. in real life your robot isn't a terminator. Humans have flaws, however, so an AI (Artificial Intelligence) like Cortana from the Halo games could in the future operate these systems or robots to maximize effectiveness.
corey561

Con

I don't believe there should be 'players' controlling millions of dollars worth of robotics from a contest. If something similar were to occur, it would be used by professionals in the military. This is not a sweepstakes. This is war, they probably don't want to take a chance that you will mess up on the battlefield with their robot. Like I said earlier, AI doesn't have clear human consciousness, and would therefore be inferior to the opposing human beings. Robots should stay away from war, and go into places where they really belong, such as homes of the elderly. It could be their robotic personal assistant. It will be more helpful this way than to get blown up in mere seconds on the battlefield.
THEVIRUS

Pro

Well fought, my friend. If you look up the stories of halo AI units, Cortana is based of a human brain, and the smart AIs can 'think' and can use logic to reason while also taking orders. If you want to do this again sometime, message me-and you are going first next time. :)
It's been a pleasure,

THEVIRUS
corey561

Con

Thanks! There's not much more to debate about, so I'm going to use this as my final words. Robots could never completely replace the human, even if the human is sitting behind a gaming console to control this 'robot'. Since your'e doing the controlling anyway, you might as well be on the battlefield where you have more control. I think you are thinking too much into a fantasy world and hoping it will come real one day. I'm afraid to say that this will probably never happen. Thanks for debating, and I wish that the voters choose wisely! :)