Milk is Unhealthy

Resolution: Milk is unhealthy.

Definitions: In order to establish a fair debate, we shall define the word "unhealthy." In order for something to be unhealthy, it's detriments to one's health must be greater than that of it's benefits.

1) Due to the successes of the "Got Milk" campaign, almost anyone on the street could tell you with great certainty that milk is a great source of calcium and vitamin D. However, fewer people can actually quantify the Daily Value (hereafter DV) of each of these chemicals within the milk. A serving of milk is eight fluid ounces, and as shown, contains 16% DV fat, 24% DV saturated fat, 8% DV of cholesterol, 24% DV of Calcium, 24% DV of Vitamin D, and 16g of sugar. (1) (Note: A cup of milk is basically equivalent to a fluid ounce, it is only off by four grams) As the diagram also notes, though milk is a good source of Vitamin D and Calcium, it is also high in sugars and saturated fats. (1) In order to get the full DV of Vitamin D and Calcium however, you would have to drink four eight ounce glasses of milk, and even then you would be a little off the mark! If this is done, you would also have to eat no other saturated fats for the rest of the day, as four glasses of milk puts you close to 100% DV of saturated fats. This tragic flaw with the amount of milk needed to be consumed will prove fatal in later arguments.

2) Milk's alleged health benefits brought from calcium and vitamin D are not only exclusive to vitamin D; these chemicals can be sought elsewhere. For example, by merely standing in the sun unprotected for 30 minutes at noon generates about 20,000 IU's of vitamin D, which is then stored for future use. (2) Because we only need 2,000 IU's of vitamin D a day to be healthy, that 30 minutes of exposure allows for 10 days worth of health vitamin D levels. (2) It would take 40 glasses of milk to reach the same effect! Not to mention, the sun doesn't bring any of the negative side effects milk brings.

Also worthy of note is that calcium can easily achieved through for doses of OTC Tums a day, without the negative side effects the sun brings, as will now be documented. (3)(4)

3) Milk poses several health risks, one of which is that it is a catalyst for iron deficiency. Cow's milk causes the intestines to bleed, which leads to a lose of iron, none of which will be replaced through the milk due to the fact that it has no iron content. (5)(1) Cow's milk also binds to iron, which causes it to pass through the stool without being digested properly, potentially causing deficiencies over time. (6)Without iron, one will begin to feel tired and fatigued, which will eventually lead to extreme weakness and even death if left untreated; this is because iron is used to transport oxygen in the blood, and without this vital chemical to support human anabolism, one cannot expect to function properly. (5)(7)

4) Another adverse health effect of milk is that it can lead to severe dermal bacteria infections. Milk contains high amounts of progesterone, which in turn break down into androgen, which promote the production of oily sebum. (8) This sebum can then harden, creating a hive of blood and lymph where bacteria grow and fester, causing infection and potentially even disfiguring scars. (8)

5) Skim milk leads to infertility. (9) You may think the solution is as easy as drinking whole milk, but whole milk contains more calories and saturated fat, which in turn can lead to weight gain, which leads to infertility. (10) Of course, you can simply break the cycle by not playing the game and not drinking milk in the first place.

7) Milk's nastiest secret of all? It contains pus. Milk can contain as much as 1.5 million white blood cells per milliliter of milk! (11)(12) And there's approximately 237 millimeters of milk per 8 oz serving. (Convert 8 fl oz to millimeters) That means a glass of milk can contain up to 356 million pus cells in a single glass, or 1.42 billion per four glasses required per day in order to reach your DV's. (Do the math!) Or even worse, that's 506 billion pus cells per year!

8) A protein in Cow's milk known as beta casein A1 can cause heart disease. (13) As shown, countries with high rate of heart disease have higher levels of the A1 in in their milk, but in Japan, which contains minimal amounts of this protein, heart disease is minimized. (13)

Conclusion: Milk may provide us with vitamin D and Calcium, but the volume of milk which one would need to consume poses a health risk with the amount of pus one must consume with it. Milk leads to serious bacterial infections, heart disease, weigh gain, infertility, and iron deficiency. If milk was not our number three agricultural product in the US, perhaps public opinion would be different. But alas it is not, which is why I have brought this debate to light. (14) I wish my opponent the best of luck; I'm looking forward to a spectacular debate on one of my favorite subjects.

My opponent makes an interesting argument, but only shows part of the picture. For this debate, I would like to suggest that we only consider commerially widely available milks derived from cows. If we get into powdered milks, soy milks, baffalo milks, and dogs milk, we will not have the character space to address everything.

What my opponent has described here, is whole milk [1]. However, he has completely omitted other milks, such as 2% [2], 1% [3], or fat-free [4]. From these, we can see the unhealthy saturated fat is completely removed as are any arguments related to saturated fat, or even fat in general. I will go through Pro's arguments first, then bring in my own.

1) This is negated by the other options of milk which do not have saturated fat.

2) My opponent omits a few things from his link regarding Vit D and the sun. Let me quote, "A 30-minute, full-body exposure to summer sun at noon without any sunscreen protection triggers the release of about 20,000 IU into the bloodstream. Most of that is stored. Someone dark-skinned would, with the same exposure, generate about half or less as much vitamin D." [5]

Let me point out the bolded areas. The first section, is describing when you have direct sun light. This only happens for a short period of the day, and that happens to be noon. I can't get down to my birthday suit here at work to go bask in the sun for several minutes, and I'm willing to bet that most workplaces do not allow that either. This allso only applies in the summer (when you have more direct light). If you live in a northern climate, and it is winter, you will get little opportunity to get any sunlight, let alone direct. For example, in Portland OR, it rains over 150 days a year, and we only get 68 days of clear skies a year (half of those in a single three month window). [6]

The other thing is if you have darker skin, you will get less through sun light. You can be getting less than half (damn, mother nature is racist) of others, coupled with your climate, and the sun is not really looking like the best of sources for Vit D. While it is something that can supplement your diet, it shouldn't be the prefered method.

3) This is one that I've heard time and time again. There are two things to note about this. First, no source is provided that shows that milk makes your intestines bleed. I did a quick look and couldn't find anything to suggest that. Though I do know that since milk is a base, and so it can neutralize acids, such as stomach acid. This is way milk can sometimes help with heartburn or acid reflux. And anything that weakens your stomach acid, reduces how well it absorbs nutrients. However, the effect of a serving or two of milk is not going to overpower the acid in your stomach, and you'll be just fine.

Second, even regarding the iron intake, the problem is calcuim, which prevents only nonheme absorption of iron (which is iron trapped in a protein chemical) and it only limits the absorption if you drink the milk at the same time is eating a high iron meal [7]. Even most anti-milk physicans still say that milk, in moderation, is good [7].

4) The link can be ignored, since it traces back to fat, which is already been delt with by the non-fat milk. It is also pointing to extreme case, of people drinking entire gallons of milk a day every day. Too much on anything is unhealthy, but that does not mean that the thing itself is not healthy.

My opponent says that milk contains high levels of progesterone. However, no link is shared. I can supply a rebuttle to this if he can simply provide a link that shows how much progesterone is in a single 8 oz glass of pasturized cow milk. Everything that I find simply says that it is in the milk, but does not assign a value, making it too vague to argue agaist.

5) No source to back up claim. A link to a harvard news letter that only says "Make it whole milk. Skim milk appears to promote infertility." which also has no source. Let's look at the New York Time's take on the same study [8]. "Dr. Jorge Chavarro, the lead author and a research fellow at the Harvard School of Public Health, said that at least one previous study contradicted his results. "There is as yet no clear picture of the role of dairy food in fertility," Chavarro said."

6) False, milk does not contain pus. It can contain white blood cells. White blood cells =/= pus. We also find that the somatic cell count limit by law is 600,000 per ml, not 1.5 million [9]. There are about 5 billion cells per ml, so you're looking at a legal limit of about 0.012% concentration as the legal limit, and most are naturally below that.

7) I encourage everyone to read the source. The link itself says there is no study, nor experiment to back this up and that it is just one person's theory (who happens to be selling a competing milk). But, lets give it the benefit of the doubt. The A1 strained is a recessive gene and can easily be breed out [10]

Now that I have addressed those, I will use what I have left to make my own arguments.

1) Milk (whole, 2%, 1%, and non-fat) all contain all 9 essential amino acids, and in good amounts. Dairy products, like milk, are the only single food that contains ALL. [1][2][3][4]

2a) Whole Milk and 2% Milk are balanced by itself. They contains a healthy amount of almost all your needed nutrients, fats, carb, proteins, vitamins, etc. [1][2]

2b) 1% and non-fat Milk are ideal suplements. They contian good amounts of Protein and Carbs, along with vitamins without adding much, if any, fat to your diet. This means that if you happen to have to go to McDonalds for lunch (an unhealthy, high fat lunch) because you left your lunch at home, milk is an excellent option to get proteins and carbs and other nutrients without adding in much fat. [3][4]

3) My opponent already pointed that it is an excellent source of calcium, which is vital to strong bones (though not the only thing needed for them) which is very important for growing kids and aging adults.

4) Soda mustaches are just not cool. :)

Hubris forfeited this round.

Ore_Ele forfeited this round.

Hubris forfeited this round.

Ore_Ele forfeited this round.
Posted by Hubris 5 years ago
Yes, you can argue anything but the definition of "unhealthy." I'll consider changing the time limit, though 48 hours is extremely beneficial to the fact that I'm going away in a little over a week, and will not have access to a computer, so I need the shorter time period to get the debate in. However, I'll consider it if one else accepts tonight.
Posted by Ore_Ele 5 years ago
I want this, but I need the 72 hours for weekends.
Posted by Ore_Ele 5 years ago
Also, make it 72 hours, and I'll accept.
Posted by Ore_Ele 5 years ago
Can I argue against anything in the arguments? Just not the definition?
Posted by Koopin 5 years ago
What about Kool-aid milk?
Vote Placed by GMDebater 5 years ago
Reasons for voting decision: forfeit