desaulnierspmsc2014
diogomsc2014

Millenials: "trophy kids" and naricissists

desaulnierspmsc2014

Pro

Your generation, titled Generation Y or the Millennial Generation, are notable primarily for exhibiting profound traits of narcissism and self-entitlement. Perhaps it is because of the well-meaning intention of parents and educators to encourage self-esteem, but what this child-centered approach has resulted in is a generation characterized by unrealistic expectations due to inflated ideas about their own talents.
So let's hear it Millennials ... What can you say to this?
diogomsc2014

Con

This Generation Y few up in a world of believe we can be anything we want to be. This is from the beliefs the older generation has instilled in us. The past generation bash my generation but look to us for the revival of the American economy. This generation of "lazy" people have been taught these ways by the generations before us. Our teachers, parents and media is the reason to blame for this prejudice. However throughout history the clash between generations has been ever present as a new wave of workers seek to establish them selves in society.
desaulnierspmsc2014

Pro

I suppose it wouldn't be entirely fair to point out your grammatical errors as a relevant point to reinforce the 'trophy kid' syndrome. Instead, I'll focus on the blame attributed to teachers, parents and media for creating the monsters, I mean, self-indulgent, narcissists you have turned out to be. I agree with the unfairness of your situation. The economy alone warrants a great deal of concern -- none of which Gen. Y is at fault for. However, if you believe your generation must be the ones to step up and revive the economy, you'll need to take accountability of your own role in perpetuating the stereotype. It is unfortunate to hear the description of 'self-entitled' so often linked to Gen. Y. Here's hoping you can prove such critics wrong!
diogomsc2014

Con

-The progress of future generations has never been accepted by their elders throughout recent history .
-The generation that is putting the "self-indulgent" label on Gen. Y has drove our country into the ground.
-The insults from our elders are very present in society yet, they count on us to save their country from the mess our elders have left us with
desaulnierspmsc2014

Pro

My questions is simple: do you think your generation is prepared to effectively contribute to society? It seems as though a generation raised with such unrealistic and at times delusional notions of their own abilities is ill equipped to be positive contributors. Instead, complaints range from this generation's need for constant affirmation from employees/teachers/parents to a sense of "it is our right" and is thus "owed" to us. Is your generation then up to the task to be a great generation, thus proving the naysayers and doubters wrong?
diogomsc2014

Con

Yes, I believe my generation has the ability to contribute and recover the country from your generations downfall. The parents and teachers of the generation before Gen. Y failed us in the world competition of education. Although this may be a downfall our generation has already showed contributions to society in the workforce. I have first hand experience of working with others of Generation Y and the weight of contributing to the revival of the United States has made us harder workers than any of the hippie generation.
desaulnierspmsc2014

Pro

I think you make a valid point. I still don't feel convinced that Generation Me (that's your generation) has what it takes to become Generation We. A study comparing the same age groups of three generations concluded the following:

" Millennials were less likely than Boomers and even GenXers [that's my generation btw] to say they thought about social problems, to be interested in politics and government, to contact public officials, or to work for a political campaign. They were less likely to say they trusted the government to do what's right, and less likely to say they were interested in government and current events." The study goes on to say that even in terms of environmental issues your generation makes little personal effort -- considering all the water bottles I place from the trash can into the recycling bin right next to it, I tend to believe this statement.

If you believe your generation is up to the task, what particular talents, qualities and accomplishments does Gen Y have to offer?
diogomsc2014

Con

I agree we may have a weakness in politics and caring about politics but many studies show that we are far better in the workplace.
A research done my CompTIA showed this:
"Millennials are far more likely than Boomers to seek out training and
career development, to tout their technology proficiency to employers, and to
work collaboratively with and learn from tech support. They are quite
proactive in developing their own careers and selling their tech skills to
employers."
Also, your generation has a much harder time with understanding and working new technology.
desaulnierspmsc2014

Pro

Well Done! True -- you are digital natives! I concede!!! (and not just because of the whole diego thing!)