Riversidegirl4life
TheBrorator

Miniclip's White Water Rafting is the best free WWR game on the net.

Riversidegirl4life

Pro

First round is acceptance.
The word "best" is relating to gameplay and entertainment.
The con must present a white water rafting game which is superior to the one I mentioned, therefore proving it is not the best game on the internet. Simply stating the problems with miniclip's game is not sufficient.
The game I am talking about is this one and this one only:
http://www.miniclip.com...

Thankyou, please accept!
TheBrorator

Con

Yep, I'm accepting this debate.
Riversidegirl4life

Pro

Reasons why I beleive Miniclip's White Water Rafting is the best free rafting game online:

1. Every level is different. Although every level has the same aim, they each have different scenery including plants, water colour, rocks and backgrounds. We can see which river each level is set in. having different sceneries makes each level individual, thus making it less boring.

2. You can interact with your scenery. Although many people may see the rocks in the rivers as part of the scenery, it can be quite a lot of fun to build up your speed and then use them as ramps. You can also use the river banks as bumpers (ie, you can use them to slow you down if you're going too fast)

3. You have more control over your raft than in many other games. In many games, controlling the raft is as simple as up-down-right-left control, but with miniclip's game you can carefully control the speed of your raft by alternating right and left, and you can back-paddle.

TheBrorator

Con

I accept my burden of proof, being that it is to prove that there is a white water rafting game that is better than the one that Pro proposes. My proposal is: Whitewater Rafting which can be played at http://www.dedge.com...
1. Abandonment
In my opponents game, as long as there are four people on the raft, you are able to finish the level. However, in this game, you automatically lose "a life" when someone falls off the raft, and have to start farther back on the river. This is by far more realistic because you would not continue rafting if someone fell overboard. You would help them in, and make sure you didn't continue without them. This game brings that person back into the raft, and makes you restart.

2. I'd love a time-turner, but...
In my opponent's game, it gives you the opportunity to get your fallen rowers on board. But the fact is, the raft completely stops while this person tries to get back on. In real life, the person would have to hold onto the raft while it was moving. This is completely unrealistic because the raft would keep going, and would not freeze while the other person got back on. In my game, you lose a life when this happens, and do not get the chance to keep going with no life's lost. This makes the game both less realistic to life than my game and much more annoying to have to repeatedly tap your keyboard desperately to bring aboard the rafter while the raft has stopped.

3. Abuse of keyboards
This brings me to my next point that when you repeatedly tap on the keys to get your rafter back aboard in my opponents game, you run a higher risk of breaking your keyboard. When desperate gamers get intense about winning, they will act out. This could easily happen during this game when they are obsessed with trying to get the person back on board. People with keyboards that may allow little bits of dirt or grime under their keyboard, repeatedly tapping a certain key can break that key off. You don't need to do this in my game, and therefore run a lower risk of breaking your keyboard.

On to my opponents case.

1. Isn't that the point of a different level?
Every level on my game is also different. The rocks and logs and everything in each level is placed differently to make the game more interesting. The shape of the river also varies with my game. Though the scenery may change in my opponents game, I would also like to say that the resolution of the scenery in the first place does not make the game fun for some gamers. With an older computer, the game my opponent suggests can lag and cause frustration. Mine is much easier to play on such computers because of the resolution and graphics being simpler. The river in my game also moves faster with each level.

2. A WWR game where you cannot interact with things in the water is boring.
Though you cannot use rocks as ramps in my game, you can interact with your scenery just as much as you can in my game. This brings me right back to my realistic point. No one that goes WWR will like to risk using a rock as a ramp and go off flying, risking death and injury. In my game, if you hit a rock too hard you lose a life, it's as simple as that. You can also use the river banks in my game to slow you down as well.

3. A simple game is best.
The more controls there are, the worse. You can move the raft in my game with just your mouse and the left-click button. This makes the game much simpler than having to remember how to properly speed up your rafter in my opponents game. This also brings me to the point that you have more control over your raft if there are simpler controls. Whereas you'd have to think about the controls for a while before being able to execute them in my opponents game, all you have to do is move your mouse and click the button to speed up. This gives you much more control because the controls are easier to execute.
Riversidegirl4life

Pro

Thanks for your argument. I will begin by explaining why Minilcip's Game is better than Dedge's, and then I will rebut my opponents points.

A) Point of View. In Miniclip's game, you are in the driver's seat (almost!) you are viewing the river in the way that the paddlers are viewing it, and you feel like you are paddling a lot more than in Dedge's game, where you are viewing the river from bird's eye view. I felt disengaged while playing Dedge's game, and felt as though I was controlling the boat with puppet strings, rather than actually paddling it myself. Many video games such as Shooters and racing games let the player play first person, like you are holding the gun yourself or in the car driving. This is done because people want to feel engaged in the game, and making them feel as though they are driving or shooting or in this case paddling, helps the player achieve that.

B) Flat Water? I don't have anything against 2D games, but it is possible for a 2D game to make the water more than a flat piece of blue cardboard, which is sort of what the water appears like in Dedge's game. White water rafting is not cruising along a flat river with a few currents here and there. The water is meant to take dips and dives here and there, like in Miniclip's game. In Miniclip's game there is a balance between flat water and drops, which is what white water rafting is like. Take AGames' game Upstream Kayak for example [1], although it is 2D the river has shape. There are drops and dives and the water actually has some contour. Dedge's game seems a lot more like flat-water rafting [2], which is quite different to white water rafting!

C) The game itself lacks basic usability. I'm not talking controls here- more the fact that you can't pause or turn off the volume, two very basic features which most games should have! Furthermore, you don't have the "continue" button between levels, so the entire game has to be played in one sitting. I reached level 5 and I got a text on my phone. I wanted to answer but I couldn't find a pause on the game, so I had to close it and restart. This is just impractical!

On miniclip's game, not only can you pause just by hitting P, but it also automatically pauses if you go onto another tab. If you don't want to pause you can just play until the end of the level, and then do what you need to do before hitting "continue".
This game has music, something which can enhance a game for many players. Personally I find most game music kind of annoying so I turn it off and play something from my iTunes library instead. Unfortunately with this game, I don't have that option. Every game that has music MUST have a "turn off music" option. I understand that I can mute my speakers, but this is inpractical if I want to listen to music or keep an ear open for the friendly "ping" meaning someone has messaged me on Facebook (not that I'd be able to pause to reply anyway!)

Now for rebuttal.
Q1: "you would not continue rafting if someone fell overboard. You would help them in, and make sure you didn't continue without them. "
You suggest that the raft should stop if someone falls overboard, but as the raft has gained so much momentum and you are on moving water, this would be virtually impossible. You can backpaddle to steady yourself a little, but to stop rafting all together would be extremely difficult!
The rafters in miniclip's game do help the person back on board, but if they fall off completely, the raft keeps going as the person swims safely to the shore [3] I understand that it would be realistic to just keep on going if the lost rafter is just floating down the river, but as they have swam safely to shore it seems unlikely that the raft should stop for any reason.

Q2: "In my opponent's game, it gives you the opportunity to get your fallen rowers on board. But the fact is, the raft completely stops while this person tries to get back on."
The raft does not completely stop when the person gets on, it simply slows down. I can't really show this with screen shots, but when the person falls off the camera zooms right in on the raft. Maybe this appears to you as though the raft has stopped, but really they just stop paddling and the raft continues floating down the moving water, as it would in real life. The only time the raft really stops is if it is wedged behind a rock, or slightly beached on the shore. In these cases the raft would stop moving anyway.

Q3: "This brings me to my next point that when you repeatedly tap on the keys to get your rafter back aboard in my opponents game, you run a higher risk of breaking your keyboard."
When a rafter falls off, you don't have to tap the "x" key more than five times to get them back on board. I don't see why this would damage your keyboard anymore than typing would! In the first sentance of your argument you tapped the "e" key about 13 times, and thats just one sentance!
I dont see how playing this game would have any more of an impact on my keyboard than typing out this argument. You said tapping one key repeatadly is bad, but think about how many times your space key is tapped in the span of a few minutes chatting or writing up a homework! It's exactly the same (and tapping the x key six times in a row wouldnt be different to tapping it six times in a paragraph. Its not like keys have "time to recover")

Q4: the resolution of the scenery in the first place does not make the game fun for some gamers. With an older computer, the game my opponent suggests can lag and cause frustration.
By using control and plus or minus you can change the quality of the game, so it is still playable on slower machines.

Q5: The river in my game also moves faster with each level.
As does the river in Miniclip's game. Also, the increase in the number of drops means that the boat is gaining a lot more momentum and moving faster.

Q6: you can interact with your scenery just as much as you can in my game.
It would be good if you could elaborate, as I disagree. In miniclip's game you can:
-bash into rocks
-use the banks as bumpers
-Use rocks as ramps
-Use cave walls to slow yourself down
-Soar off small cliffs in the river

In Dedge's game you can:
-bash into rocks and logs
-use the banks as bumpers
-Speed up using rapids

Q7: No one that goes WWR will like to risk using a rock as a ramp and go off flying, risking death and injury.
The jumps you can do off the rocks in Miniclip's game are not exactly death defying, and although I can't prove that people would use a rock to jump a couple meters in the air, I can prove that people would do things a lot crazier and a lot more dangerous [4]

Q8: This gives you much more control because the controls are easier to execute.
To be honest I think that whether a game with more controls is less or more fun than a game with lots of controls is a matter of opinion. I don't beleive that the controls in Dedge's game let you control the raft and the rafters in a way which you can in Miniclip's. In miniclip's you can accelerate and carefully control the speed, whereas in Dedge's you are either paddling or you aren't- there's no middle ground so you can only pick between two speeds. Also, you can't backpaddle or hold onto the raft in the way you can in Miniclip's. I dont think that the miniclip controls are hard to execute at all. It's left and right for steering, and X is for holding onto the raft and helping someone on board. It's only the three buttons you need to press for gameplay (backpaddle is optional as you never actually have to go backwards)

I have many more points that I look forward to introducing in future rounds. Until then, good luck!

1. http://www.gamenode.com...;

2. http://www.kitulgalaadventures.com...;(This shows an explaination of what flat water rafting is)

3: http://img444.imageshack.us...;(sorry for the bad quality, but the highlighted text reads "he arrives safely on the shore" )

4.
TheBrorator

Con

TheBrorator forfeited this round.
Riversidegirl4life

Pro

Riversidegirl4life forfeited this round.
TheBrorator

Con

TheBrorator forfeited this round.
Posted by Maikuru 5 years ago
Maikuru
I'll argue that it isn't the best flash game, but come on. Not the best rafting game?
Posted by Riversidegirl4life 5 years ago
Riversidegirl4life
haha I guess it does.
Posted by RoyLatham 5 years ago
RoyLatham
The claim of "best white water rafting game on the net" sounds like a restaurant review I saw recently proclaiming "the best Peruvian restaurant on the San Mateo (California) coast."