whiteflame
TeaPatriot

Minimum Wage: $15 an hour, or none?

whiteflame
Started: 10/22/2016 Category: Economics
Updated: 1 month ago Status: Post Voting Period

whiteflame

Pro

Thanks to my opponent, TeaPatriot, for both having this debate with me and making it fun. We decided not to prepare for this round, so it was rather loose, but I still enjoyed doing it.

https://www.youtube.com...
TeaPatriot

Con

Thanks to my opponent for a great debate!

I havent done a speaking debate in a long time so thanks for the chance
Posted by whiteflame 1 month ago
whiteflame
Thanks for voting, Kasmic.
Posted by kasmic 1 month ago
kasmic
Whiteflame argues that poverty and wealth disparity are harmful and are exacerbated by the current low min wage. A $15 min wage will break the "cycle of poverty" and add "ability for social mobility." Conversely TeaPatiort argues that free markets are moral. Further that a MW hurts small businesses, increases unemployment, limits freedom, inflates costs, and could cause kids to drop out of school to work for higher min wage.

Whiteflame"s Ford example of paying employees more and they spend it in their company negates inflates costs and hurts small businesses. He argues that the amount of freedom that TeaPatriot wants is harmful as illustrated in history. TeaPatriot makes the mistake of conceding that large corporations are not hurt by a $15 min wage. That is half the debate already in Pro"s court. The morality argument got derailed early with the reference to Slavery. I, as the listener am pit against whether limiting a business" ability to choose pay is worse than the "free market" result of slavery. Con argues that slavery came about by "free trade." This is not a convincing way to argue that freedom of markets is moral or desirable. Pro nails this in his final speech. Further ,Con concedes that raising the min wage does lower the poverty rate, this concedes one of Pro"s main arguments. Weighing unemployment rising against poverty decreasing is not a hard choice of impacts. Finally it is stated that con finds it more important that people have jobs then money" is not the purpose of the job to get money!? I was a bit perplexed by that statement.

All in all this debate imo goes to pro hands down. Good round guys, live debates are tough stuff.
Posted by whiteflame 1 month ago
whiteflame
Appreciate it, Kasmic.
Posted by kasmic 1 month ago
kasmic
I have listened to the debate, I just need to write out my rfd. Thanks for your patience guys.
Posted by whiteflame 1 month ago
whiteflame
Appreciate that, Kasmic.
Posted by kasmic 1 month ago
kasmic
I won't promise a vote as I don't have lots of time, but I will try to get to this.
Posted by whiteflame 1 month ago
whiteflame
No, it's not a problem. Feel free to contact potential voters, and I'll do the same. I just thought that ball had come across the debate by other means and decided to comment that he wasn't going to vote on it.
Posted by TeaPatriot 1 month ago
TeaPatriot
Oh whiteflame was I not supposed to do that?

Do we have designated voters?
Posted by whiteflame 1 month ago
whiteflame
Alright, I didn't have that context.
Posted by bballcrook21 1 month ago
bballcrook21
Whiteflame, I was asked if I could look at this debate and consider voting by your opponent. I wrote it here to confirm that I am not going to vote for the time being.
Vote Placed by kasmic 1 month ago
kasmic
whiteflameTeaPatriotTied
Reasons for voting decision: In comments