Jamessg_1
OllyDonn

Minimum Wage Should Increase From $7.25/hr to $10.10/hr

OllyDonn

Jamessg_1

Con

My position for this debate is that minimum wage should not increase. Currently, minimum wage is $7.25 an hour. I believe that it is a terrible idea that would prove to be no benefit to America or her people. First off, this is a sustainable salary. For a 40-hour week, that is about $1,250 a month, before taxes. This is obviously enough to survive with. If you do the math, housing, bills, food, and other necessities can be handled with $1,250/month. Now I will state that life on minimum wage is difficult, but it is possible. Second, (I am aware that this will draw some offense.) minimum wage paying jobs usually do not require much skill. I know this simply because I used to work at minim wage. In most cases, there is not much prior education/training needed for most minimum wage jobs. Since the labor is elementary, (once again, in MOST cases, not all. I understand that some off the jobs are labor intensive and difficult) the workers do not necessarily deserve more than $7.25/hr. The easier the job, the smaller the pay. It is that simple. Thirdly, and most importantly, a raise in minimum wage would severely damage the economy. If minimum wage was to increase by $2.85, then the value of the dollar would decrease substantially. Inflation would occur. The economy would be a wreck, money's worth would deteriorate, and we would be back to square one: wanted a raise in minimum wage. Every time there is an increase in minimum wage, the cost of living increases. This would continue in a never ending cycle of raising the salary of blue-collar workers. Yes, an increase in minimum wage looks like a great idea on paper, when you look at the reality of it, there are essentially no long term benefits from it. I do not support the raise in minimum wage. This is the end of my one, and only, argument of this debate.
OllyDonn

Pro

I'm going to extend two main points to you in order to argue in favour of a higher minimum wage: I'll talk about the benefits to the American (or any) economy of a workforce with a greater disposable income, and I'll explain the social benefits of a minimum wage, extending beyond the purely economic ones. Before I get there however, I'd like to offer a few points of extraneous rebuttal against the argument extended by the other side, specifically against James' view of inflation. Any further rebuttal will be interwoven into my speech.

James' argument against a higher minimum wage is that any rise in the minimum wage would be purely inflationary. I presume that the reasoning here is that Aggregate demand would rise, people, would want more things, and the price of these things would rise to keep up with demand. James' argument neglects to realize, however, that workers earning more will be more motivated, more efficient, and more willing to put work into their jobs, thus raising productivity. This means that the effect of inflation here is overstated. Even if it weren't, I feel that equality is more beneficial, when balancing benefits.

A minimum wage increases the disposable income of poorer workers, allowing them to purchase more expensive goods and services. This means that people on welfare have a greater incentive to find work, and that there is more money to be spent on often more expensive American products, rather than cheap foreign imports. Money will flow around the economy, rather than being holed up in banks.

Things like Health insurance, College tuition, and fresh food become more affordable when the people at the bottom aren't forced to live at the bottom: The savings in medicaid, the amount of extra tax raised, and the side benefits, such as better education, lower incentive to commit crime, and longer life expectancy are immeasurable. The benefits of a higher minimum wage clearly outweigh the cons, and thus, I propose.
Posted by Kaneo 3 years ago
Kaneo
One round debates. For the lose!
Posted by YYW 3 years ago
YYW
roflmao... someone's never signed a rent check in his life.
Vote Placed by OliveJuice 3 years ago
OliveJuice
Jamessg_1OllyDonnTied
Reasons for voting decision: Both sides exhibited appropriate conduct. Pro had better spelling and grammar as well as more convincing arguments. However, sources would have been extremely beneficial to either side since this debate involves a great deal of statistics. A longer debate would have also been better than one as short as this.
Vote Placed by YYW 3 years ago
YYW
Jamessg_1OllyDonnTied
Reasons for voting decision: Con made a bold, though perhaps less than fresh, though entirely pithy argument for why the minimum wage should not be raised. He proposed some harms, to that end. PRO negated those impacts by reframing them as acceptable costs when improving social welfare in several areas.