espinoza07
milesk12

Minimum Wage

Started: 3/18/2016 Category: Economics

espinoza07

Pro

"Of course, nothing helps families make ends meet like higher wages"and to everyone in this Congress who still refuses to raise the minimum wage, I say this: If you truly believe you could work full-time and support a family on less than $15,000 a year, go try it. If not, vote to give millions of the hardest-working people in America a raise," says Barack Obama, President of the United States of America. Minimum wage determines the way you live; you can live your life being wealthy with no problems at all, or you can struggle with bills and payments. The majority of workers receive low pay for working a full-time job. Some may even have families they need to take care of along with bills to pay, but in some states the minimum wage is $7.25 an hour. Because of this situation going on today, there are too many families struggling financially, too many people living in poverty, and it"s decreasing economic growth. Specifically, minimum wage should be raised to a higher range.
milesk12

Con

I accept this debate.
espinoza07

Pro

espinoza07 forfeited this round.
milesk12

Con

milesk12 forfeited this round.
espinoza07

Pro

espinoza07 forfeited this round.
milesk12

Con

milesk12 forfeited this round.
espinoza07

Pro

espinoza07 forfeited this round.
milesk12

Con

milesk12 forfeited this round.
espinoza07

Pro

espinoza07 forfeited this round.
milesk12

Con

milesk12 forfeited this round.
Posted by dude100 8 months ago
dude100
I completely disagree, I agree that we need socialized reform, but raising minimum wage will not solve the problem at the root. currently any business can set any price they want on their products. Raise minimum wage, and they'll just up the cost of living. Thus raising minimum wage will solve absolutely nothing. What we need to do is use our tax money to seize control of all industries which are morally compromised in our country. I'm not saying these businesses shouldn't make a profit, I'm merely saying that excess profit is not worth the cost of a persons well being. A pharmaceutical company should not have the ability to set cancer medicine sky high "just because they can." Things that are currently socialized in our country are Fire departments, police departments, all military branches, ect... Now ask yourselves this... would you rather have all firefighters, police, and soldiers set the price of their services and negotiate with us on the value? Or would you rather pay them a flat rate where they treat you like a person rather than a number? I prefer the latter but that's just the opinion of an educated man who understands economics. My number one goal in life above all other goals is to be a good person this includes my take on economics. I will say that your idea is sort of on the right track but make sure you study economics and history in school first before you write about it on here :) . I want people to consider that before socialized reform, firefighters would negotiate the price it would cost to put out the flames, monopolies controlled our country, children worked in sweatshops, companies exploited workers with long hours and no minimum wage. However... never forget the horrifying truth of communism, DO NOT let our government have too much control or we'll end up with a dictator.
Posted by LovelyLadyM 8 months ago
LovelyLadyM
I totally agree with Miles. Most people who work for minimum wage work harder than those who get paid the most. Its terrible.
Posted by Ultrixomnium 8 months ago
Ultrixomnium
I am willing to accept this debate as the contender for the subject of Minimum Wage.

I will accept the challenge if you are willing to accept my proposal to debate against you.