zchryhll
lovelife

Minimum Wage

zchryhll

zchryhll

Con

Artificially high wage rates lead to a misallocation of resources and market failure. More people will be encouraged to work, but fewer will be demanded by companies seeking to minimise costs. Such distortions lead to an uncompetitive inflexible market that does nothing to solve problems of skills mismatched. Once salaries are increased, companies will withdraw production from such markets and there will be no income at all. The case of Asia over the past fifty years shows that initially poorly paid jobs tend to increase in skills and wages over time without intervention. Imposing a minimum wage will make a country's products internationally uncompetitive and reduce inward investment. Imposing such standards upon the developing world would essentially be protectionism by the rich world. Minimum wages are blunt instruments that damage the most vulnerable. Small businesses cannot afford to pay such rates, whilst lower levels of pay for younger workers does not prevent discrimination against employing such individuals as the minimum is proportionately greater than the norm for older workers. A better alternative is a targeted system of tax credits which reduce the ‘poverty trap' by making work more lucrative than benefits, and which end the ‘unemployment trap' by topping up low pay with assistance to low income households yet still encourage a work ethic. Bottom line Raising the (minimum) is ineffective and stunts the growth of the country.
lovelife

Pro

I would like to thank my opponent for challenging me on this.

I believe that work places need a certain amount of employees to function. It is the nature of business to try and minimize costs. Without mandated minimum wage the everyday people would flounder as a result of not being payed much at all. Of course without minimum wage they can afford more people but of those people, who could actually pay their bills? People that are better at their jobs will receive more money, whether or not minimum wage is there. Without it they could be working for $.25 an hour, while the corporate leaders make $1,000s a day.

I would like to agree on one point, that the minimum wage should be decided annually for each specific place according to the amount of business and profit that business makes. If McDonald's makes $10,000 more then Burger King, for example the minimum wage should be higher for McDonald's then Burger King. I believe that when a business is opened they estimate how much money they will make vs how many employees and consult specialists and see what they think. Once they reach an agreement that business is required to pay each employee X amount for working there.

My opponent argues that increase in minimum wage will lead to the defeat, but I would argue that it will motivate businesses to pay their employees what's fair considering the state of the economy and how few families make enough to actually live. Like I've said businesses tend to try and hoard as much money as possible. They need a certain amount of employees. Minimum wage motivates businesses to do what is fair and just for their employees.

I hope I made a good round 1 argument and I await my opponent's response.
zchryhll

Con

zchryhll forfeited this round.
lovelife

Pro

It seems my opponent has forfeited. My arguments still stand.
zchryhll

Con

zchryhll forfeited this round.
lovelife

Pro

It seems my opponent has forfieted the last round. I was looking forward to a good debate, and hope for one in the future.
Vote Placed by djsherin 4 years ago
djsherin
zchryhlllovelifeTied
Vote Placed by I-am-a-panda 4 years ago
I-am-a-panda
zchryhlllovelifeTied