MASTERY
Benshapiro

Mining is relatively safe.

MASTERY

Con

Welcome to the debate

First round is for defining and the last round is for conclusions. I define mining as a quest that involved digging at a very large scale to seek for precious stones or metals. I define relatively as 'compared to other occupations' and safe as 'compared to other occupations' as well.

Benshapiro

Pro

Mining: "Whacking resources with a piece of crescent shaped iron or steel."

Mining can't possibly be that dangerous. I look forward to this riveting debate.
MASTERY

Con

Thank you for accepting my challenge.

Mining ventilation is a significant safety concern for many miners. Without clean air, the miners might suffocate, and harmful gases, dust and heat may cause injury or death. Ignited methane gas explosions are very dangerous and common, which causes lethal coal dust explosions which can also bring along problems such as silicosos, asbestosis and pneumoconiosis. Also, the gases might displace air, causing asphyxaction. All these breathing and lung problems have a huge safety impact on the miners.

Benshapiro

Pro

That's not as bad as occupations in the fecal matter industry.

Toilet paper testers are people who actually need to test how effective toilet paper is before it's put on the market. Toilet paper testers need to wipe volunteers (participants in the study's) butts with their toilet paper to test levels of breakage, sanitation, dryness, viscosity, and absorbancy.

Not only is it horrendously disgusting for the person who needs to wipe them, but test subjects are often ridden with diseases because empirical studies show that test subjects that volunteer usually don't have very good hygiene and diseases that are contacted oral-anally are often found in these volunteers. Studies indicate that: ". . . Of all occupations, toilet paper testers tends to be the most underpaid and have, on average, are one of the most dangerous lines of work because of the diseases they regularly contract. . ." [1]

Diseases such as, Poliomyelitis, Norovirus acute gastroenteritis, Giardiasis, Hepatitis A, Hepatitis E, Rotavirus, Shigellosis (bacillary dysentery), Typhoid fever, Vibrio parahaemolyticus infections, Enteroviruses, Cholera, Clostridium difficile, Cryptosporidiosis and Ascariasis have all been reported. These diseases aren't typically found in the average volunteer but it's not an uncommon occurrence. The lining of the anal wall is very thin, so wiping too hard by these testers causes some of them with diseases to bleed and if the tester is not careful, it can seep through their gloves.

This profession is much more dangerous than mining simply because the diseases that can be contracted are life-threatening and more numerous than the ailments that come from mining (although mining is also dangerous).

[1] http://www.rrnews.org...
[2] http://en.wikipedia.org...

MASTERY

Con

I would like to thank my opponent for his argument.

"Toilet paper testers are people who actually need to test how effective toilet paper is before it's put on the market. Toilet paper testers need to wipe volunteers (participants in the study's) butts with their toilet paper to test levels of breakage, sanitation, dryness, viscosity, and absorbancy. "

By no means are toilet paper testers' occupations are dangerous as a miner's as stated in http://www.news.com.au...;(toilet-paper testers aren't even mentioned). It is very rare for a participant to have a disease, as they would be in hospital. Thus their job is not nearly as dangerous as mining, where people are CONSTANTLY exposed to toxic particles. So "Diseases such as, Poliomyelitis, Norovirus acute gastroenteritis, Giardiasis, Hepatitis A, Hepatitis E, Rotavirus, Shigellosis (bacillary dysentery), Typhoid fever, Vibrio parahaemolyticus infections, Enteroviruses, Cholera, Clostridium difficile, Cryptosporidiosis and Ascariasis" would not appear that often at all.

Many people in mines are exposed to high temperatures, which may cause strokes, which can be lethal. The heat originates from the core of the Earth. Heavy machinary may also collapse or fail, causing inevitable death through gases and toxins. I will explain about one of the most dangerous things about mining in the next argument

Benshapiro

Pro

The list of most dangerous jobs you've cited is only applicable in Australia. Toilet paper testers are commonly found in western China, Indonesia, Zambia, and Mogidishu. These are 4 countries that list toilet paper testers as being one of the most dangerous job in the industry.

The sanitation standards in those countries listed are probably not as good as sanitation standards in the U.S. That doesn't mean it isn't dangerous though, it's extremely dangerous because of the diseases their test subjects usually have and we weren't debating the most dangerous job just in the U.S but worldwide.

Also, you mentioned that people with these diseases would be in the hospital but that's not necessarily true. Test subjects probably believe that they are healthy at first and are unaware that they have the disease and only find out later as time goes on. Here's just one example of one common disease of oral-anal contact, Hepatitus a:

"Hepatitis A (formerly known as infectious hepatitis) is an acute infectious disease of the liver caused by the hepatitis A virus (HAV).[1] Many cases have little or no symptoms especially in the young." [1]

This shows that toilet paper testers are dealing with an insidious array of test subjects because many of the test subjects themselves don't know they have these diseases. This is much more dangerous than mining because miners can expect the dangers that they face.

[1] http://en.m.wikipedia.org...
MASTERY

Con

I apologize that my list was only for Australia, but neither is it mentioned in this world list -http://list25.com...

Also, the topic for today's debate is that mining is relatively safe compared to other occupations NOT mining is the safest occupation.

So, I shall continue my argument. Mining collapses are also very threatening. "Thousands of miners die from mining accidents each year, especially in the processes of coal mining and hard rock mining. Most of the deaths nowadays occur in developing countries, especially China and rural parts of developed countries." Mining collapses have happened quite a few times. One such example is _Copiapó_mining_accident in Australia.

http://en.wikipedia.org...;

Abstract graphic illustration of the underground accident site in the mine with markings, annotations and depths

It took a total of 14 days for the miners to escape, and this is just one of the weakest mining collapses.

Benshapiro

Pro

Your assertion of the debate is that mining is a relatively safe occupation, but relative to what? It's not safe relative to toilet paper testers. In fact, I can actually bring statistics to show that it is actually far more dangerous. How many miners die per year? What percentage of miners get asbestos or other mining related illnesses?

This is from an independent Indonesian website:
Pada tahun pertama saja kita melihat bahwa 19% dari semua penguji kertas toilet akan kontrak penyakit mematikan. Selama rentang 10 tahun kita telah melihat bahwa hanya di bawah setengah (48,2%) dari semua penguji kertas toilet mati [1.]

Translation:

"In the first year alone we see that 19% of all toilet paper testers will contract a lethal disease. Over a 10 year span we have seen that just under half (48.2%) of all toilet paper testers are dead from job-related illnesses." [1.] This was from an independent Chinese website where many toilet paper testers are employed.

Upon doing the research of how many miners die over a 10 year span from job related illnesses you will that 48.2% figure is far larger than the amount of miners that die from job related illnesses over a 10 year period.

www.npr.org " News " Health
Apr 16, 2010 - "Mindful of the grief and anger surrounding the death of the 29 miners at the Upper Big ... in 2006, Attfield found that 4 percent of 1,000 miners tested had advanced pneumoconiosis."

This is just one example in one particular case, but it gives you perspective of the 4% of miners battling job-related illnesses vs. the 19% of job-related illnesses that toilet paper testers suffer.

[1.] http://m.inilah.com...
MASTERY

Con

I would like to thank my opponent for his arguments in the previous rounds.

I would also like to point out that the topic is "mining is relatively safe compared to other occupations" which by no means is "mining is the safest occupation". With this in mind, we can say that it is more dangerous than office workers, bus drivers etc. My opponent has failed to object that MOST occupations are more dangerous than mining.

Mining has many dangers, including asphyxiation, collapses and heat related illnesses. These illnesses can easily overwhelm anyone, and would almost NEVER appear in normal jobs.

Again, I would like to thank my opponent for his arguments and time.

Vote Con!

Benshapiro

Pro

Thanks con.

" I define relatively as 'compared to other occupations' and safe as 'compared to other occupations'"

The resolution didn't hinge on MOST occupations relative to mining but COMPATATIVELY. If you look back at the beginning of this debate in the first round you'll see that I've shown toilet paper testers are more relatively dangerous (by a huge margin) than miners. My opponent has not linked any data in the previous round comparing miners to toilet paper testers because toilet paper testers are statistically more dangerous than miners. This should win me the debate.

Regardless, I thank my opponent for his time and his politeness in this debate.