nashaline
Kwill12086

Minors should need parental consent for abortions

nashaline

Pro

I do believe that a minor should need consent for an abortion. Although it is the child's body, I believe that support from a parent is needed. Some children, young adults, and teenagers tend to be immature when they are pregnant and tend to make immature and irresponsible decisions. With a consent of a parent or consent from a guardian the child is being advice from an adult before they continue with taking someone's life. Some people may not understand what an abortion is until it is done. The fact to have someone tell you what you would be doing can make a life changing decision.
Kwill12086

Con

During this argument we are talking about minors. I will personally focus more on the teenage age group (ages 15 - 17) for the sake of my argument.

Now I do believe that teenagers should have the ability to have an abortion without parental consent. The parent should be aware of any procedure that their child is having done but the child herself should be able to make final decisions about her own body. Any surgical process that a person may need or want, even if it means life or death, if the person does not want it performed on their body they should be forced to. They same should apply with abortions. Teenagers are at a age where they are capable to make informed and consequential decisions. They know that if they have unprotected sex, this can lead to pregnancy. Teens are able to process what is to come emotionally and socially after they make the decision to have sex unprotected.
nashaline

Pro

I do not believe the age group matters when it comes to a life changing and life taking decision. I believe that the decision of abortion is equal to the right to drink. Also in many states in able to you to be seen alone at a clinic or an appt the child has to be at least 18 years of age. Therefore if states do not allow for teenagers to be seen at an appointment without a parent or guardian present, it is illogical for someone to allow the decision of an appointment for an abortion for a child to be there by themselves or make the decision by themselves. You stated "The parent should be aware of any procedure that their child is having done..." which means that you are partially agreeing that the parent or guardian should be involved which would mean that the child either way is bringing an adult into the decision of the birth of a child's life. I am making clear that you are stating that the inclusion of a parent has to be a part of the abortion process. Consent of the parent is being taken to a certain extent. You also state "if the person does not want it performed on their body they should be forced to." this statement does not have anything to do with the consent of a parent throughout the abortion process. I do not believe that teenagers are capable of making responsible consequential decisions. If a teenager would be irresponsible enough to ignore the possible outcomes of having sexual intercourse, they are not capable of making a big decision of taking away someone else's life. I believe that teenagers are not able to process what comes emotionally and or socially after they make the decision of having unprotected sex due to various cases of pregnant teenage girls that go to the school counselor just to speak of bullying or other critics that they may receive once made that decision. Many parents would agree that a majority of teenagers are incapable to make decisions that affect another individual's life.
Kwill12086

Con

All forms of birth control are available to all women in America at least the age of 18. The procedure of having an abortion is another form of an option for birth control for women. Abortions are now very safe and low risk procedures. Patients are able to go home the same day after an abortion and do not require much to recover. I believe even for a high risk surgery, women no matter the age should have the final say on what is to be done to their own bodies. Women should not have to wait till they are legal enough to drink to have access to this alternative option to birth control, especially when most teens as young as 14 can get birth control pills without parental consent. Why do we allow women this young to have access to these things if they are not capable of making consequential decisions? Even a preteen knows that she should be on some sort of birth control if they are having sex. Otherwise it wouldn't be available to them. Women that age do not always make the best decision to get on birth control before the event of pregnancy, but they are capable of connecting the dots.
nashaline

Pro

nashaline forfeited this round.
Kwill12086

Con

Kwill12086 forfeited this round.