InkyBunny
jareness

Mixed Women should not present the face of Black women. They are not the same

InkyBunny
Voting Style: Open Point System: Select Winner

InkyBunny

Pro

I noticed as I'm walking through the library in the magazine aisle. A face representing Black Women. That face was Mulatto. I asked myself, why is it that this is the face that represents the majority of Black women in the united states when they look nothing like her. Why? It's not because they want to include all "black" women. It's judgement. Discrimination against the real deal. The real deal is if I'm telling someone she's black. They instantly imagine a kinky headed girl with brown skin. Not someone who almost resembles a Latina. That's a fact. Now of course there are all shades of Black women. Light to Dark, Curly to Kinky, But I am talking about the 99%. Simple. Not the minority but the majority. The shades of Mulatto looks completely different from the shades of Black. In fact I'd have to say Its more similar to Hispanics than Blacks. To pretend it's not is silly.
jareness

Con

Some precision is required. To proceed, I"d have to understand why you think this particular face represents the majority of black women. For all I know she was featured on the cover of Ebony because she was just appointed head of the NAACP. Or maybe she represented the Red Cross in a Vanity Fair article. And what does a black woman look like? I have no idea what you mean by the 99%. Do you mean the darkest 99%? You seem to be making the case that it would be better for a 99 % black woman to be representing, regardless of why she was on the cover, than a 1 percenter (whatever that means) that might have been on that cover for more socially constructive means. Your move.
InkyBunny

Pro

The face of the cover is what represents the majority. If nobody cared about the majority they wouldn't cater to them but they do. Most of media seems to cater to what people like. By 99% I mean the many black women in the united states. How they look like. Not 99% Black but the common look of Black and mixed isn't it. It doesn't have to be the cover of ebony but even when you open the magazine a lot of the times can you even find a women who doesn't look mixed. When I see a company trying to cater to black women the common thing you see is most of the women barely look black. There's always that only one Black women. As if to show diversity instead of to show what is real. To pretend mixed women or men are black is to pretend a chipoodle is a Chihuahua.
jareness

Con

I sort of get what you"re saying, and don"t altogether disagree, but this is a debate, so"
You"re saying that Black is what Black looks like. I say that Black is what Black is. Meaning, someone with skin lighter than yours can be just as Black as you, in culture, in values, or anything else that you would you would agree defines what it means to be Black. If your argument is correct, anyone claiming to be Black would have to pass a skin color test. This sounds a bit harsh, eh? But let"s be fair. Your argument is a bit more subtle. You seem to be arguing more against commercial representation than against any single person. Ok, if Halle Berry is on the cover of Ebony, does she pass your test? Her skin is the color of cocoa, but I don"t think anyone would call her "not black". Check this story out: http://www.cosmopolitan.com...
InkyBunny

Pro

Of course someone with a lighter skin tone can be just as black. As I said there are all shades of black just as there are all shades of biracial people. Mixed people are mulatto pretty simple. That's why a lot of the times they get confused with being hispanics because hispanics have a very diverse gene pool as well. Halle berry is biracial just as a lot of the popular "black" celebrities we know and love. It's very simple. It's not about passing. It's about understanding and being. I have nothing in common with a biracial person simply because they grew up with two cultures. The struggles they had were different, They worried about there identity. If not there identity they have the confidence in themselves as a "black women" because they are mixed. Mixed is not black its mixed. As repeated they are more similar to hispanics. Most black women struggle because they are taught lighter the better the curlier the nicer. It's not healthy to promote black women in media in such a light that is untrue and just stereotyping and when they are not being stereotyped they are given a face that looks nothing like the average black girl. brown dark skin and kinky hair replaced with light skin and curly hair. It's even the same thing with barbie dolls. Seeing all of them they almost looked they had a hispanic heritage simply because they didn't look like a black women. When they don't have light skin they have curly hair. When they don't have curly hair there skin is light. There is nothing wrong with that but would you say thats an accurate depiction of black women or just a depiction ppl want to be true when in reality its someone with a lot of european in there gene pool. My mother is light and there is no issue with that but she is black. She came from haiti and all she knows is black. we all like to see someone we can look up to and understand and honestly i would not be surprised if most black women could not understand the "black" women of media. Even in books sometimes you just want to read someone who is like u. mixed ppl arent like me. They can be similar to me they can struggles like me that any girl would have. but there identity is different from mines. It's not surprising that black viewers flock towards black characters because they are rarely seen. They are rarely used. They use a replacement. anyone can claim to black just as anyone can claim to white hispanic or whatever but people arent stupid. If they see a pattern they know people purposely choose this person not because they are black because they depict something they prefer not whats true. If people claimed to be hispanic and all u saw was blond hair and blue eyes. ppl will notice. if people depict this type of dog but notice mixtures that look nothing like the dog they want they will notice. the reason why no one cares because of discrimination. Purely they see mixed as beautiful and they dont see the point of someone who does not live to the beauty standards of this culture to want to say anything. They will only add that one black girl to show diversity when they should be the ceneter of it all because that is how black women look like. that would more accurate. it would say something within us. this is why in countries such as the uk. mixed and black are seperate because its not the same. you can search up the most beautiful black women and most if not all are not black.
jareness

Con

Ok InkyBunny. You"re making the argument that identity and culture are different for mulattos and blacks. Since I"m an old white dude you are arguing from experience and I am arguing from general speculation. I can"t compete with that. But the real killer is that you didn"t deliver your argument in a way that came across as angry, just "This is the way it is for me". Given what you said in your last argument, I think it would be wise for me to concede instead of trying to twist this around on you somehow just for the sake of winning. Well done.
Posted by Dirty-Morgs 1 year ago
Dirty-Morgs
obama is not black he is mixed
Posted by InkyBunny 1 year ago
InkyBunny
What is it?
Posted by SimplyJoshmala 1 year ago
SimplyJoshmala
What?
Vote Placed by august55433 1 year ago
august55433
InkyBunnyjareness
Who won the debate:Vote Checkmark-
Reasons for voting decision: Its true
Vote Placed by evanjfarrar 1 year ago
evanjfarrar
InkyBunnyjareness
Who won the debate:Vote Checkmark-
Reasons for voting decision: Con conceded.
Vote Placed by dsjpk5 1 year ago
dsjpk5
InkyBunnyjareness
Who won the debate:Vote Checkmark-
Reasons for voting decision: Concession.