renjuu
Pfalcon1318

Mobile Tech Hurts more than Helps

Started: 4/28/2014 Category: Technology

renjuu

Pro

Mobile Technology creates problems in various situations in every day life. Those areas concern mental health, cancer, distractions, addiction, stress, cyber bullying, and social disorders. The use of cell phones and other mobile technology (iPads, iPods, tablets, laptops, etc) has defeated the purpose of social gatherings, personal connections (face-to-face), and physical activity. It has also largely decreased self-esteem levels, increased mental health issues and stress levels. Due to these issues, mobile technology has largely impacted human life in a negative way.
Pfalcon1318

Con

Mobile Technology creates advantages in various situations in every day life. Those areas education, communication, employment, and leisure-time fun. The use of cell phones and other mobile technology (iPads, iPods, tablets, laptops, etc) hase expanded the capacity of social gatherings, personal connections (over long distances), and educational activities.. It has also largely increased self-education access, and decreased information illiteracy. Due to these issues, mobile technology has largely impacted human life in a positive way.
renjuu

Pro

Even though mobile technology has impacted humans lives in some positive ways, they have also caused many tragic situations that, if humanity wasn't addicted to their phones, could have been avoidable. For instance, texting/email/talking on your phone while driving are a major cause of accidents on the roads. 23% of all car accidents (that's almost 3.1 million crashes) are caused by responding to a text or email while driving, 11 teens are killed each day because of this and almost 3500 people died in 2012 because of distracted driving involving a cell phone or various other mobile technologies.
Humanity has put so much faith and life into their phones that the younger you start with a cell phone the worst your addition to it will get, people find themselves checking their phone on average 2 times a minute. Teenagers who have lost or left their phone at home go through withdrawals that have the same stress level as a drug addict who haven't had a fix.
Due to peoples addictions to their phones this can also increase risks of cancer from the radiation that the phones let off, always having your phone in your pocket can cause the radiation to be exposed to your leg or private regions for almost 14 hours a day.
Pfalcon1318

Con

I would like to thank my opponent for submitting their response. I would like to see a source for the statistics provided, however.

My opponent tries to argue in the first round that "[Mobile tech] has defeaated the purpose of social gatherings, personal connections...and physical activity." I am not sure what gives PRO justification for stating this. What purpose is this? How has mobile tech defeated? PRO makes claims, but does not support them. My experience has been that cell phones actually make having social gatherings and face to face meetings easier. Person A can call persons B, C, and D, and invite them all over for a movie, for example. If persons B, C, and D are a long distance from person A, say 45 minutes, then getting the necessary arrangements in place will be troublesome, as A would have to drive to discuss these things with each person. A can simply call or text each person, and they can plan ahead. This stretches in to various industries, the most obvious being business. Business professionals will not always be in their office when they are called. As such, the use of a cell phone allows people to get in touch with them. Or, even simpler, there is the fact that cell phones can be used for such simple tasks as keeping a planner. Granted, those people who are forgetful may lose their phone, or forget to check their planner, but this does not negate the usefulness of the feature. It simply shows that the person involved is not using their mobile device in the most productive way possible, as the business person will be wont to do.

The above falls into the section of my opening statement where i mention the capacity for social gatherings and long distance personal connections. I then mention educational activities. Tablets and laptops are the best example of mobile tech being used for educational purposes. Some people, not all mind you, buy ebooks and read from a tablet. Other people go on the web regularly and engage in intellectual conversation. Still other people do independent research. The list is almost inexhaustible.

I will concede the point that mobile tech can lead to negative things, however, the positives tend to outweigh the negatives. I believe, and I hope PRO corrects me if i am wrong, that many of the problems created by mobile tech (related to lower self-esteem, and cyberbullying) can be easily avoided by refraining from the use of particular websites. Some people are mean, and do mean things to others, however, there is no reason to believe this is a failing of mobile tech. Rather, it is related to the individuals who do these things.
renjuu

Pro

renjuu forfeited this round.
Pfalcon1318

Con

My opponent has forfeited. My arguments stand. I have given reasons as to why Mobile Tech actually helps more than hurts; my opponent has failed to provide arguments for the opposite.

I would like to thank my opponent for this debate, and wish the audience happy voting.