Bublifuk
Chrysippus

Mobile phones in school should be banned

Chrysippus

Bublifuk

Con

Hello,
As far I am student of high school this issue touches me a lot. I am glad I can bring this topic here.

Rules
1) Need to be done by 30.6 because I am leaving then
2) Semantics allowed
3) Pro supports that mobile phones should be banned
con that shouldn't
4) three rounds only:
1. round= pro states his arguments
2. round=con refute=>rebuttals
3. round=rebuttals, ending
5)48 hours time to argue
6) 8000 characters
7)Winner is determined by quality, development of arguments and forming of arguments, semantic etc.¨

I hope everything has been said. I am looking forward for brave opponent.
Thank you very much
Bublifuk
Chrysippus

Pro

I welcome my opponent to Debate.org.

I argue that students should not be permitted to use cellular telephones in public schools during school hours.

I would like to note that I am not arguing against faculty, teachers, or staff having or using cellphones, if the need arises, nor against students possessing cellphones in their lockers for use after hours or in emergencies.

All key words are assumed to have their normal meanings.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

1. Cellphones distract students from the lessons.

Given the the purpose of school is to educate the students, anything that disrupts learning is counterproductive. Most cellphones are capable of sending and receiving text messages; most phones have games on them. Smartphones are mini gaming consoles, with thousands of games available to download. Most cellphones now double as mp3 players, allowing students to take their music into class with them and listen through earbuds.

I hope that I don't have to establish the widespread use of cellphones in class, sending texts, playing games, looking up answers, listening to music. It is common knowledge that these practices are ubiquitous. The quality of the education that these students are ignoring is not the question here; the point is that by engaging in these other activities the students are missing out on their main opportunity to gain a good education.

Few people would argue to allow students the use of jukeboxes or gameboys in class, or to allow students to ignore the teacher and talk among themselves; this is exactly what allowing cellphones in class permits.

2. Cellphones with cameras and/or internet connection aid students in cheating on exams and quizzes.

Any cellphone with an internet connection permits the student to look up answers for quizzes and tests. Cellphones with cameras give the cheater an easy and discreet way of photographing exams so other students can crib off his answers. Given the purpose of testing is to prove the students grasp of the subject, these shortcuts to good grades are destructive and counterproductive. Cheating is already a large enough problem without allowing the students such powerful tools for bypassing the whole point of school.

If students can merely look up the answers whenever they need them, grades lose their power as an incentive to study. Cellphones rob students of a powerful motivator to work at their education, and give them the means to slip by without working.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

For emergency purposes, for communication with parents, and for whatever harmless entertainment or communication over the lunch hour the students may use them for, cellphones are useful tools. They are harmful to education during class, however, and should not be permitted in the classroom.

I return this debate to my opponent.

-C

Bublifuk

Con

Hello,
I very thank my opponent for welcoming me. I am happy that he choose to debate right with me. I also thank that he offer me a help. I stand for mobile phones in school. All key words are assumed to have their normal meanings. Firstly I'll present my own arguments and then I'll focus on rebuttal of opponent arguments.

My arguments
First of all, when we are talking about that phones should be banned I assume that mobile phones shouldn't be in school at all. This means phones can't cross school doors.

1.) Calendar
When lesson is going and in most cases ending teachers give students homework or set date of examination. Mobile phone is ideal medium for saving some important dates and being prepared for imperative examinations or tests. There is option to bring hand calendar but it doesn't remind you when you forget to check what is going to happen next day. Furthermore, calendars in phone are more convenient you don't need to skip big amounts pages of former days. Calendars in mobile have endless possibility of notes whereas hand calendar can allow max. 1 page. You can put phone into pocket more easily than hand calendar.

2.) Information
Sometimes happens that students or even teacher forget some key information. It become worse when even book can't provide this information. But Mobiles are sources of infinite information. I mean Internet. On the way to school, when important lesson comes students sitting in the classroom need to study. And sometimes they can't find information which they are searching for. Eventually, mobile phones are sources of endless information from Internet. Hence they are acknowledged by students and teachers.

3.) Playing games or listening to music
Young children sometimes get bored or get fancy to listen their favourite music. Mobile is the most common medium which allows them to accomplish their needs. Moreover, according to studies Music helps to study[1]. Study says: "the right kind of music can help you relax your mind which enables you to concentrate better. Perfect to studying, doing homework or studying for a test or exam. It cuts down on distractions and helps you focus on your work." Students are more concentrated and get better exams, they prepare well. Furthermore, playing games helps them to chill out, to get new friends. Some kinds of games improve students abilities or educational games can teach them. Everything mentioned can provide phone. It doesn't enhance they physical abilities but psychological yes.

4.) Calculator
Besides calendar, Internet, games, music contemporary phones contain calculator. Nowadays are phone calculators even better in most cases. From my experience I've met many times with normal calculators which doesn't have square, square root while mobile calculator had it. Again, mobile calculators are easily approachable because everyone has mobile while normal calculators people don't bring along to everywhere. These days usage of mobile calculators is overcoming usage of normal. However, in examinations phones shouldn't be allowed because students can abuse them.

5.) Encourage friendships
During break, students can swap their numbers with other who are not in contact everyday. They can meet after school, they can chat after school, they can prepare homework when they are out of school. This situation are less and less occurring now because of social networks. But before them it was hard to communicate and mobile phone is the key to it.

6.) Emergency
This is the gist of my entire Argument. When children forget homework at home, when suddenly needs to be transported at home due to some issues for instance they get sick or need to be at home soon because of examination next time, for these reasons children needs mobile phone. There is an option that children can ask school board but this way is one of the possible. I can bring my own experience. At the end of school year I needed to get good mark and I forgot homework. Thanks to mobile phone I got it and obtained good mark on year report. Sometimes children can be witness of breaking the law when they are on the way to home. In these situation mobile phone is priceless. Calling police will help children and help to get some outlaw behind the bars.
In addition to that, contemporary mobile phones include GPS chip which help to track lost children. Another priceless thing. Being banned in school mobile phones would cause problems not only students but their parents.

Pro's arguments:

1.) Cellphones distract students from the lessons
The main point of this argument was that phones distract students from lessons as the topic say. He established what current phones include, how students abuse them and how they impact education. In fact, it is matter of teachers. As I stated above students can use phones as medium to get information or as calculator. So in fact phones serve good but students abuse them. Teachers should prevent from it. That's the way to go. Pro presented that idea, that students don't educate themselves well. They abuse mobiles instead of utilize them. The problem is in teachers. Teachers should let students put everything off their desks and put mobiles into school bags and pull them out only when they allow it or during break. Mobiles can be future of education it is on the teacher to cause distract on students.

2.)Cellphones with cameras and/or Internet connection aid students in cheating on exams and quizzes
My opponent presented that students use mobiles during exams and take a photos of tests and via phones share them with colleagues. This is exactly the same problem like the upper argument. The root of problem are teachers. They don't prevent from it and aren't strict as they should be. Recently I've attended SAT subject tests in CZ. I can tell that I was so scared of supervisor that I even didn't anything suspicious rather than being observed by him. It depends on teacher whether students educate themselves or not.

Conclusion:
I have brought up any arguments I can think of and at the end of my text I have negate opponent's arguments. This is hot topic at least at our schools and many teachers can't hold it. Hence students abuse phones and don't educate themselves.

[1]http://uncc49er.com...
Chrysippus

Pro

My opponent writes, "First of all, when we are talking about that phones should be banned I assume that mobile phones shouldn't be in school at all. This means phones can't cross school doors."

My opponent mistakes me. I am not arguing that students should not bring cellphones on school grounds at all, but that cellphones should be banned from the classrooms themselves. Having cellphones in their lockers is not in any way detrimental, and gives the students an easy form of communication with their families; it is only when the students bring the phones into class that the potential for abuse arises.

This eliminates my opponent's arguments 5 and 6, since there is no disagreement there. We agree that in emergencies cellphones are very useful, and that as a form of communication between friends they are handy. We disagree on their use in the classroom, however.

1.) Calendar
Assignment books or notebooks are the typical way of taking these notes, and they work perfectly well. While a cellphone can be used to take these notes, the information can also be put into them outside of class if the student desires an automatic reminder. The slight convenience of inputting directly in class does not outweigh the drawbacks of allowing cellphones in class.

Besides, if you receive a text message while the teacher is giving out the assignments, you may miss the assignment altogether.

2.) Information
The information the students need is typically provided by the textbooks, or from the school library. He does not need to be able to look up information during the quizzes and tests, because that is cheating and ruins the whole purpose of the test. If the teacher needs internet access during the lesson, nothing says they cannot have a computer with them to look facts up instantly.

The information on the internet is largely unreliable, and should not be used to replace the lesson. Students ignoring the lesson to look things up on the internet is not an advantage, and is not a good reason to allow cellphones in class.

3.) Playing games or listening to music
No-one is saying students studying at home cannot listen to music. While in class, students should be listening to their teacher, not zoning out. Ignoring the lesson because you cannot hear it negates the whole purpose of education, and should not be encouraged. Playing games during the break is fine; being able to surreptitiously play videogames during class is not.

4.) Calculator
Handheld calculators are cheap and easy to use, typically much easier than calculators on cellphones. They cannot send or receive distracting text messages. They cannot play distracting music. They cannot be used to record the answers for a test and help students cheat. In all respects, simple handheld calculators are superior to cellphones for use in class.

Defence of my arguments:

1.) Cellphones distract students from the lessons and 2.) Cellphones with cameras and/or Internet connection aid students in cheating on exams and quizzes

In response to both of my arguments, my opponent argues that students abuse cellphones in class because teachers allow them to. He claims that they are useful tools as calculators and internet connections, but lax teachers permit students to use them to cheat or ignore the lessons.

As I have established that cellphones are not needed or particularly useful as calculators or internet connections in class, and that in fact it is harmful for them to be used as such, all we are left with is lax teachers.

I agree with him here; a lack of strict enforcement against cellphones in class is exactly the problem. That is why I am arguing that cellphones should be banned in class.

I return this debate to my opponent with my thanks.
Bublifuk

Con

I thank my opponent for quick answer. I admire his generosity that he offered me help. His grammar and style of writing are much better than mien.

Introduction:
The topic is: Mobile phones in school should be banned.
Because Pro is trying to eliminate my 5. and 6. arguments I have to explain the topic here.

Term Mobile phones I don't need to explain but preposition "In" yes.
Dictionary.com says:
In=(used to indicate inclusion within space, a place, or limits):walking in the park. [1]
and second word I want to explain here is "school". Macmillan says:
School=a place where children go to be taught:It’s the biggest school in the city.

Therefore, when topic says "in school" it means that in that building not in classroom. Hence my arguments 5. and 6. are valid.

Rebuttals:

My Arguments:

1.) Calendar
Opponent's argument says that is better to write down examinations after lesson then during them in case you use phone, because drawbacks of abusing them outweigh the advantages. It requires either use assignment book or keep the date of examination in mind. As I presented my arguments in prior round phone is much better than hand calendar. Keeping dates of examination or homework in mind is nonsense because students would forget it for sure. When lesson finish, students have a big pile of things which they want to do. For example move to another classroom, prepare for upcoming lesson etc. The chance that they'll remember to write assignment down is same like they would receive message while teachers is giving out the assignment. The big chance of forgetting the assignment is big. Due to advantages of phones is better to write down dates of examination right in the class to remember all details instead of waiting till students get to their lockers.

2.) Information

I must agree with Pro that information should cover students book, teacher as well. But the beauty is hidden in usefulness. Internet especially Wikipedia cover every information which students are seeking. There are science articles written by scientists. Pro claim that Internet sources are unreliable. I assume he thought of Wikipedia. In fact Wikipedia is of the most seriousness and truth sources[2]. However, the advantage of phones over books stands in usefulness. You can get information on test while you eat dinner, while you travel to school etc. I would be fool, if I allowed using phones during examinations. For this purpose there is only student's brain. I believe that electronic devices will replace books.

3.) Playing games or listening to music
At the beginning listening to music and playing games during lesson are strictly prohibited. We sometimes can listen to music when we are writing some essays or technical texts. As I mentioned music enhance level of study[3]. It is: "Perfect to studying, doing homework or studying for a test or exam. It cuts down on distractions and helps you focus on your work." So in case you write long passages of text it helps you to concentrate. And this is the biggest advantage of listening to music. Thinking about games as I said above they are banned from lessons which is right. But games helps children to chill out from stress and lessons and help to sort thoughts after lesson.

4.) Calculator
In fact, I am an owner of Iphone and I have to say that there is no difference between hand calculator and Iphone calculator. I've brought up some pictures of iphone calculator and typical hand calculator:

I see no difference and Iphone calculator appears to be more handy. Furthermore, on these smart phones we can search information as I mentioned above and use them in case of emergency. For the rest of Pro's argument I should answer that is it matter of teacher. Smart phones are good and convenient but it is due to teachers why it is abused. Teacher should establish order in his class.

Pro's arguments:

I am pretty glad we both came to same point. The root of problem are teachers not phones. Hence phone shouldn't be banned in school. They are useful on the way to home, in case of emergencies etc. Only one change which we both agreed on is that teacher should improve their strictness and rules. No thinks such as sweater, pen case, books, and bags shouldn't be on the desk during the examination to prevent from phone abusing. This think would help to thrive of right using phones during lesson.

Conclusion:
I've finished rebuttals. This is all from in this case. I think that phones especially smart phones have good future in education. It's upon teachers to be strict and don't let students to abuse them.
Officially I thank my opponent for accepting this challenge I hope he enjoyed it same way like me. I would like to highlight his kindness and generous to help me.

Bublifuk
------------------------------------------------------------------
[1]http://dictionary.reference.com...
[2]http://en.wikipedia.org...
[3]http://uncc49er.com...
Chrysippus

Pro

I explained the position I was arguing already. It would be absurd to ban cellphones from entering the physical school building, and when I took this debate I understood the resolution to be referring to classes, not the school property. The voters my decide whether I departed from the intent of this debate; however, the clear and logical interpretation is that cellphones should not be allowed in class.

And it really would be pointless to argue that cellphones should not be allowed inside the building. They are very useful to the students and faculty, both in emergencies and for normal everyday communication. The only problem with them arises in the classroom, where they are a major distraction and a powerful tool for cheating.

That has been my case. I will refrain from raising any new arguments this round, but there a re a few points my opponent brings up I would like to answer.

1. Calendar
"is better to write down dates of examination right in the class to remember all details instead of waiting till students get to their lockers."

Which is why students should be writing down assignments in the notebook they are using in class, rather than pulling out their cellphones. Cellphones offer no advantages there.

2. Information
"Pro claim that Internet sources are unreliable. I assume he thought of Wikipedia."
Actually, I am referring to the vast amount of misinformation on just about any topic which is freely posted on the web, and is only a google search away. There is no fact-checking in the blogging world, pseudoscience websites are innumerable, and under no circumstances would a reputable school encourage its students to replace it's reputable textbooks with information from who knows where. This ruins the whole point of having a teacher, a library, and textbooks.

3. Playing games or listening to music
Again, as playing games or listening to music is banned in class, this is no reason to allow cellphones in class.

4. Calculator
The iPhone calculator(s) are very useful, but not all phones are nearly that convenient. Not all phones even have calculators; but they all do have the ability to aid students in cheating. My opponent passes over this lightly by saying the teachers should not allow the cheating. That's easy to say, but almost impossible to tell if a student is using his phone as a calculator or to look up answers.

If they are banned from the classroom, the teacher has a much easier time preventing students from cheating. This is just common sense.

Finally, for my arguments:

My opponent thinks we agree here, but misunderstands. I never agreed that teachers were the problem; as I said last round, "a lack of strict enforcement against cellphones in class is exactly the problem." It's the rule against cellphones that is needed, not more pressure on the teachers.

The disadvantages of allowing cellphones in class outweigh any slight advantage they might have, and I think I've established that.

I wish my opponent the very best, and applaud him for his efforts to polish his english via debate.
Posted by tulle 2 years ago
tulle
I meant ***Con's*** defense of his 3rd argument doesn't make any sense to me. If you're writing an essay in class, presumably it's to eliminate outside help.
Posted by tulle 2 years ago
tulle
RFD Cont'd.

Pro states that the problem with cell phones has never been about them on school property---it's about them being used in class. This further supports that many of Con's arguments were strawmen. The final argument Pro uses that it's easier on teachers to prevent cheating when there are so cell phones is something Con never addressed in his rounds. Con stated the problem was lax teachers but doesn't explain HOW they're supposed to prevent the abuse of cell phones, which is easier said than done.

Overall, I feel like Con was unable to refute Pro's two arguments, and Pro was able to refute all of Con's.
Posted by tulle 2 years ago
tulle
RFD of Arguments (RFD for Conduct and Spelling/Grammar underneath my vote.)

Round 1

Pro's arguments are that cell phones are distracting and thus, counterproductive, and that they can be used as a cheating aid which eliminates motivation to learn.

Round 2

Con does state that he means to argue against the idea that cell phones should not be allowed in schools at all, but this is something he should have specified in the first round. Considering Pro presented his arguments first, it would be completely unfair to change the meaning of the resolution and make him argue something he already said he doesn't advocate. Con's only rebuttal to Pro's argument was that teacher's should prevent the abuse of cell phones, but he doesn't really specify how.

Pro can dismiss Con's arguments 5 and 6 because he specified in his first round that's not what he will be arguing. I believe Pro does a good job countering arguments 1-4, showing that the benefits of having a cell phone in class are easily outweighed by the negatives. Pro also addresses the fact that both he and Con agree that the problem here is lax rules/law enforcement. This supports the contention that cell phones should be banned.

Round 3

Con's Calendar defence is very weak and rebutted by Pro. Con also drops Pro's point that teachers can look up information if they need to. Pro's defense of his 3rd argument doesn't make any sense to me. If you're writing an essay in class, presumably it's to eliminate outside help. A teacher has no way of knowing whether you're listening to music or listening to someone giving you answers. Pro addresses this. Pro addresses that a teacher has no way of knowing if a student is using a calculator or cheating. I'm surprised he didn't mention that the calculator Con posted is extremely basic. I don't know what an iPhone calculator can do but you really can't use anything less than a TI34 in any high school math class :/

RFD to be continued.
Posted by Bublifuk 2 years ago
Bublifuk
Oh I got 5 points. 5 guys appreciate my work. Thanks everyone!:)
Posted by Chrysippus 2 years ago
Chrysippus
I notice that your first debate here died without any votes. Sorry about that; hopefully we can get some voters on this one.

If you need help with debating here, let me know; I'd be happy to give you a few pointers.
Vote Placed by Nur-Ab-Sal 2 years ago
Nur-Ab-Sal
BublifukChrysippusTied
Reasons for voting decision: I have to give arguments to Pro, but I commend Con for his effort. For each of Con's contentions, which all revolved around cell phones having some ability that assists in learning, Pro explained how a common instrument or tool can replace the phone by having the same capability but lacking the distracting features. Furthermore, Pro's case was pretty solid and Con never quite toppled it. Good job both, but arguments to Pro. Spelling and grammar also go to Pro, and Con agreed anyway.
Vote Placed by tulle 2 years ago
tulle
BublifukChrysippusTied
Reasons for voting decision: Con introducing definitions in the last round was poor form. Pro specified his position in his first round and it was a valid position, given the parameters of Con's first round. Con concedes spelling/grammar to Pro in Round 3. RFD of arguments in the comments.
Vote Placed by ScottyDouglas 2 years ago
ScottyDouglas
BublifukChrysippusTied
Reasons for voting decision: Both had good conduct. Pro seemed to have grammer and spelling. I thought that Con had the most convincing argument. I think Pro showed that cell phones are useful in the class and also outside of class. Pro had good sources and Con provided none. Interesting debate.