PericIes
williamfoote

Mock Presidential Debate

PericIes

PericIes

Pro

This will be a mock presidential debate. Each debater will choose a real political party of the United States (or argue as an independent) and answer questions asked by the debate moderator (TheChristian) who will post said questions in the comments. Round 1 will be for rules, acceptance, and statement of political party, rounds 2, 3, and 4 will be for answering the moderator's questions, and round 5 will be for closing statements. Debaters cannot argue for lack of government (anarchy, chaos, etc.). Debaters participate as themselves, not as real political figures. It is expected that debaters take this seriously and not debate for ridiculous views, such as extermination of all rabbits, immediate nuclear war with Russia, etc.

I will be debating on the Progressive Bull Moose ticket.
williamfoote

Con

I accept your challenge. I will identify as a member of the Centrist Party.
PericIes

Pro

Right, so, the moderator has, due to unforeseen circumstances, become otherwise engaged, and in addition has posted questions that were not of the expected variety. I have posted new prompts in the comments section, the first of which, immigration policy, will be the subject of Round 2.

It is an important goal of the Bull Moose Party (and, hopefully, everyone else) to repair our severely damaged immigration system. The primary way which we believe that this can be accomplished is by passing the DREAM Act, the tenets of which I will go over presently.
"Under the rigorous provisions of the DREAM Act, qualifying undocumented youth would be eligible for a 6 year long conditional path to citizenship that requires completion of a college degree or two years of military service." (1)
Essentially, the DREAM Act seeks to give people who are Americans, but who don't have the paperwork to prove it, the citizenship that they deserve. Most of the people in question were brought to the United States as babies or small children who had no say in the matter and who very likely didn't know what was going on, They have spent most of their lives in the U.S., and are culturally American, but due to an unfair legal label are unable to have many of the things that other Americans do. It is the firm belief of the Bull Moose Party that every American deserves citizenship, regardless of their parents' choices.
"Over three million students graduate from U.S. high schools every year. Most get the opportunity to test their dreams and live their American story. However, a group of approximately 65,000 youth do not get this opportunity; they are smeared with an inherited title, an illegal immigrant." (1)
The other significant focus of the Bull Moose Party concerning immigration is to revise the excessively convoluted bureaucratic mess that is the visa system. Visas are difficult to get, take a long time to get, are a ton of paperwork, are expensive, and after going through the process, people can still be denied in favor of others. The Bull Moose Party seeks to introduce common sense and efficiency into this sector of the immigration system.

Source 1 - https://dreamact.info...
Bull Moose Party website - http://www.pbmp.org...
williamfoote

Con

williamfoote forfeited this round.
PericIes

Pro

The health care system needs to be fixed. It is directly involved with the physical well-being of every American citizen, which may make this issue of more vital importance than any other. There are 50 million uninsured people in the country today. Their ranks are equal to the combined populations of Oklahoma, Connecticut, Iowa, Mississippi, Kansas, Kentucky, Arkansas, Utah, Oregon, Nevada, New Mexico, West Virginia, Nebraska, Idaho, Maine, New Hampshire, Hawaii, Rhode Island, Montana, Delaware, North Dakota, South Dakota, Alaska, Vermont and Wyoming. (1) That's 25 states. Half of the states in the country. But because this diaspora is not represented in an entity such as a state, they are largely ignored. We certainly wouldn't deny half of the nation (in terms of states) access to healthcare, so why are we denying a population equal to the population of half the states hospital treatment and medicine?
Obamacare is stupid. The problem is that people can't afford healthcare, and Obamacare is just telling them "now you're forced to buy healthcare." People on the far right need to accept that, unless they're paid more, many people can't afford healthcare on their own. People on the far left need to accept that people may want different policies, and so even if government-sponsored healthcare becomes communal, you can't breed out private sector insurance.
" It"s time to learn from a nation like Singapore, which spends 4 percent of GDP on health care and gets as good or better results than we do spending 17 percent. Singapore"s blend of market forces, public provision and personal responsibility shows it is possible to do more with less." (1)

1 - http://www.pbmp.org...
williamfoote

Con

williamfoote forfeited this round.
PericIes

Pro

My opponent looks to have forfeited the debate. I will rejoin if he does not forfeit the next round, but at this juncture in space-time it seems as though I've won.
williamfoote

Con

williamfoote forfeited this round.
PericIes

Pro

My opponent has forfeited the debate. Please vote for me.
williamfoote

Con

williamfoote forfeited this round.
Posted by PericIes 2 years ago
PericIes
Actually, I was kind of hoping for more issue-related questions, rather than person-related, seeing as how we're arguing as ourselves and not actual candidates. I guess I'll just post the questions.

Round 2 - How can we fix the broken immigration system?

Round 3 - What should we do about healthcare in the country?

Round 4 - Stance on marijuana.
Posted by TheChristian 2 years ago
TheChristian
Regrettably, as I will not be here for the entirety of the debate to ask questions, see my previous comment for the questions.
Posted by TheChristian 2 years ago
TheChristian
`Round Two- What qualifies you to be a president?

Round Three- What would you do as president?

Round Four- What made you run for president?
Posted by TheChristian 2 years ago
TheChristian
Do I only ask one question, or many, per round?
Posted by PericIes 2 years ago
PericIes
Yes. Here: http://www.pbmp.org...

It was Teddy Roosevelt's party for a time. It should be noted, also, that I'm not claiming to belong to that party. I just thought that it would be fun to argue for their platform.
Posted by Wylted 2 years ago
Wylted
Progressive bull Moose is a real party?
Vote Placed by bballcrook21 2 years ago
bballcrook21
PericIeswilliamfooteTied
Reasons for voting decision: Forfeiture.