TheSophisticatedIncumbent
PChanGOP

Model United Nations is the Student Activity that Best Aids Students in Real Life.

TheSophisticatedIncumbent

TheSophisticatedIncumbent

Pro

The first round is just for introductions. I am a high schooler and I believe MUN is the student activity that best aids students when they enter life. I hope we can have a clean, substantial, intellectual debate. Good luck!
PChanGOP

Con

Hey there!

I'm new to this, so bear with me:

I am also a high-schooler and I also have experience with MUN. I actually agree with your side, but for practice, I am going to play devil's advocate. Happy Debating!
TheSophisticatedIncumbent

Pro

MUN is the activity that best aids students in real life.It supplies more of the 3 essential factors necessary to make an activity greater than any other student activity.The 3 biggest adv. MUN supplies are intellectual prowess, social and networking skills + enjoyment.When hs students reach adulthood they need to obtain a job and an enjoyable life.The ability to grasp tough concepts and make them simple, the ability to research different aspects of any subject, and the knowledge gained through Model UN are essential skills every student will 1 day need.MUN doesn't just ask that students accomplish these, it allows them and puts their know. to practice.Next, MUN gives essential social skills that every student will need to succeed at their job, at life, and every single day for the rest of their lives.The interaction between students and the speaking opportunity helps people overcome the most common fear in the US, and practice life skills. Fin. MUN is a fun act. that livens ppls lives
PChanGOP

Con

I agree with some of your points. It does help with intellectual development and gives enjoyment, but you are forgetting one crucial fact:
MUN is only a simulation. A simulation is supposed to represent of the real thing, but simulations inherently can never fully mirror what the real experience is like. Say we have a security council simulation where you have decide what actions to take in response to North Korea threatening to unleash its nuclear arsenal on the south. Yes that pretend tension exists, but it can never fully emulate that high stress environment that actually exists. Furthermore, it's the UN. We are teaching children to emulate a multi-national organization that suffers from a terrible lack of efficiency inherent in many bureaucratic organizations. I disagree with you in terms of the social realm. Yes it does help with intellect (like research and debate), but I fail to see how it helps in the social realm. IT does give enjoyment (but only for foreign policy nerds)
TheSophisticatedIncumbent

Pro

While MUN is a simulation, and while it never fully emulates he UN that is not what this debate is about. This debate is whether MUN is the BEST activity. obv it will never be completely accurate but the skills it teaches are REAL. You say that teaching students to emulate an inefficient organisation is bad, but to expand on my previous point it is not teaching students to emulate but teaching them skills that they can hone. Finally, while is true foreign policy "nerds" as you say do take enjoyment from MUN it but not just them. Model UN supplies activities and opportunities outside of committee sessions such as social events and tours. In fact Model UN also gives students the opportunity to meet people from other states and indeed other countries.

This was a fun short debate. Hey email me at emmitt30 @ gmail.com and we can see if any of our conferences overlap.

toodaloo
PChanGOP

Con

Yes, that was fun. This will be my first completed debate. But sorry to tell you, I'm not in MUN anymore. I gave it up for JSA (Junior State of America) which is a debate club based off of Parliamentary style debate.

But anyway, I enjoyed my time in MUN.

Thanks!
Posted by cheyennebodie 3 years ago
cheyennebodie
Never heard of it. Explain what it is. If it has anything to do with the real united nations, it is the worst thing that will prepare anyone for a better life.
Vote Placed by Cermank 3 years ago
Cermank
TheSophisticatedIncumbentPChanGOPTied
Reasons for voting decision: Con didn't meet his BoP. He essentially conceded that even though MUNs are good for intellect and enjoyment, it doesn't help in the social realm, something he correlated w/ a skill to actually represent your country at UN. Pro sufficiently strengthened his point towards the end, leaving Con's defense null. On a different note, perhaps Con should have provided a second student activity *better* than MUNs and contended that MUNs, though good, weren't the best.
Vote Placed by bladerunner060 3 years ago
bladerunner060
TheSophisticatedIncumbentPChanGOPTied
Reasons for voting decision: This was, to me, a close debate. Mainly because Pro didn't really give us too many reasons to prefer MUN over other things that might also provide the same skills that Pro advocated for. But, while Con quibbled on the points somewhat, Con didn't really address another thing which was better, or show how MUN wasn't "best". Pro's arguments were, honestly, kind of weak. But in this particular case, Con's rebuttals just didn't seem sufficient. An interesting debate, though, and kudos to both sides! As always, happy to clarify this RFD.