MadisonMichelle
STAGIESTCOSINE

Models .. bad for society?

STAGIESTCOSINE

MadisonMichelle

Pro

First round for acceptance. I argue that models are bad for society
Con argues models are not bad for society. Good Luck!! (:
STAGIESTCOSINE

Con

Hi, I accept and I'm looking forward to your hearing your arguments....
MadisonMichelle

Pro

Thank you for accepting.
Currently, modela are getting thinner and more emaciated. Which has been mirrored in numerous cases of eating disorders. In 1975 models weighed 8 percent less then the normal women. Now, they weigh 23 percent less. And more girls are wanting to strive to be skinny like them. In Fiji, being called skinny was an insult. Now 75 percent of girls say they are too fat, and go on diets. They state they "want to look like Angelina Jolie" . Models are only making todays women want to be unrealistic, and unhealthy. Therefore .. models are bad for society.
Thank you and I look forward to your arguement.
STAGIESTCOSINE

Con

A small proportion of women may be influenced by emaciated high fashion models. However, high fashion models are only a small percentage of the total numbers of models (glamour models, fetish models, fitness models, BBW models etc). The percentage of women influenced by stick thin models would seemingly have self-esteem issues. It is this fragile mental state which promotes eating disorders. , caused by ammulti-tude of life issues. Certain types of men will take steroids to increase body image, perhaps theyareinfluencedby pro-wrestlers or body builders. However, emaciated models and body-builders are not representative of the ideal human form, and those that believe are undoubtedly wrong, and in the minority. Minority group behaviours are not indicative societal behaviour as a whole, but are simply sub-cultures.

Eating disorders are prevalent in high fashion models, and aspiring models, as well as small sections of society. If anything people are getting fatter not thinner, obesity trends are rising year on year (1). It is obesity, the converse of what you are proposing, and it"s related diseases which are of greater concern to society and the economy.
Granted some people are influenced by high fashion models, but an equal proportion of people will be influenced by other industries (movie stars, pop stars, wrestlers, body-builders, sportsmen and women, fitness models, glamour models etc).

With people, on the whole, getting fatter it is a good thing that society is becoming weight conscious, however it"s a bad state of affairs that certain people take it to extremes. People need to have the strength of character to accept responsibility for their life choices, and not blame others.

1)http://www.noo.org.uk...
MadisonMichelle

Pro

Thank you for your arguement.
So, id like to go straight to my opponents source, his source his source uses years up to 2010. While in 2011 through 2013, our girls are looking to be like models.
"The percentage of women influenced by stick thin models would seemingly have self-esteem issues. It is this fragile mental state which promotes eating disorders". Yes, girls have self esteem issues, and models do not help them. Fitness models, girls are still taking unhealthy paths into what we think of as "fit" Glamour models still hurt girls self esteem, because they are computer animated to be beautiful.

"In an attempt to emulate the countless media images they view, girls often take drastic measures. Many end up with very low self-esteem; some with dangerous eating disorders. "We're seeing girls at younger ages starting to be dissatisfied with their bodies, proactively trying to change them, and feeling like they need to emulate something different than what their bodies can do," says Elissa Gittes, MD, a pediatrician in the division of adolescent medicine at Children's Hospital of Pittsburgh. "
Models are not helping this scenario at all.

My opponent said "However, emaciated models and body-builders are not representative of the ideal human form, and those that believe are undoubtedly wrong, and in the minority. Minority group behaviours are not indicative societal behaviour as a whole, but are simply sub-cultures."

Although according to the National Association of Anorexia Nervosa and Associated Disorders, nearly 70 percent of girls in grades five through 12 said magazine images influence their ideals of a perfect body. In so-called "pro-anorexia" forums, posters write about watching fashion shows and combing magazines for "thinspiration."
http://www.huffingtonpost.com...

my opponent says that those models are the minority, although over 70 percent of girls in those grades want to be skinny like these women, who eat cotton balls and orange juice to feel full without eating anything. Do we want our generation to be a size zero? That isnt "fit"

Plus size models used to be size 12 through 18, but now they have shrunk to where now a plus size model is size 6 through 14. PLUS Model magazine said. Plus size models arent even plus anymore, and these girls are taking after these models. Fashion models, fitness models, and glamour models still all have different traits to make girls want to be like them. I have refuted my opponents arguements. I have given numerous pieces of evidence. Thank you and i await your response.
STAGIESTCOSINE

Con

(hi,your text will be in bold)

First off, I agree some types of model areskinnier than years gone by. Second, the 2010 reference I provided should be considered recent when discussing societal issues, particular considering the topic in question- weight trends of populations over time.

Your argument was that models are bad for society. My counter, basically, is there are many types of model which influence many people, in many different ways, not necessarily always bad. There are over 6 billion people on the planet, and a minute proportion of these are anorexic or bulimic,
and fewer than the total are influenced by models and models alone. Individuals with eating disorders do not constitute a societal pandemic, however of course one person with anorexia is one person too many. But, this does not mean models per se (your original assertion) are bad for society. My argument was that there is an obesity epidemic (a greater societal burden than the number of anorexics influenced bymodels alone)… so the models can’t be influencing that many people to take upweight loss!!
J

I brought up self-esteem as the cause for anorexia. I think it’s a little unfair to infer that all models are to blame for all anorexics self-esteem esteem
issues. I concede, some models are too thin, and some people will be negatively influenced by them, but it’s a step too far to brand models bad for society, they help generate wealth for the economy, influence others to lead healthierlifestyles (not everyone takes weight loss to the extreme). The modern capitalist materialistic world thrives on insecurity, it is the perception of the ideal self, and the supposed happiness attaining IT
would bestow upon us that motivates us to buy a gym membership, a fancy car, a fragrance,the IPhone etc. All this is big money. Keeping up with the peers (who in turnare keeping up with theirs)…I digress.

Anyway, you quote,Elissa Gittes, MD, a pediatrician in the division of adolescent medicine at Children's Hospital of Pittsburgh:

In an attempt to emulate the countless media images they view, girls often take drastic measures. Many end up with very low self-esteem; some with dangerous eating disorders. "We're seeing girls at younger ages starting to be dissatisfied with their bodies,
proactively trying to change them, and feeling like they need to emulate something different than what their bodies can do".

Ultimately, that’s anecdotal (regardless of her position) - and theres no mention of models. Harvard School of Public Health report: “the prevalence of overweight and obesity in children and adolescents is on the rise, and youth are becoming overweight and obese at earlier ages. One out of six children and adolescents ages 2 to 19 are obese and one out of three are overweight or obese. Early obesity not only increases the likelihood of adult obesity, it
also increases the risk of heart disease in adulthood, as well as the prevalence of weight-related risk factors for cardiovascular disease such as
high blood pressure, high cholesterol, and high blood sugar.”
… so the models can’t be influencing that many people to take up weight loss!! J

Also, thank you for your source, which, incidentally, wasn't dated. Your source states:
"According to the National Association of Anorexia Nervosa and Associated Disorders, nearly 70 percent of girls in grades five through 12 said magazine images influence their ideals of a perfect body
… (No further details are given with respect to the level of influence, or the outcomes of this influence. Influence is measured on a very broad spectrum, it may be a passing notion or a compulsive obsession. It may simply be..

"oh that girl looks fit, I'm a little out of shape at the moment, I'm going to take up exercise"

../or it may be something more sinister like..

"I feel ugly, that girl is pretty, i have no control over my life, but i can control my weight, I'm gonna starve myself, be the skinniest
girl alive - achieve the self-worth I crave
".

Like I say, the quote does not quantify the product of the influence, or, whether the influence actually leads to unhealthy behaviours.

You write…
In so-called "pro-anorexia" forums, posters write about watching fashion shows and combing magazines for "thinspiration."

….
of course pro-anorexia forums are gonna talk about "thinspiration".....it’s a pro-anorexia forum!!
J

my opponent says that those models are minority", although over 70 percent of girls in those grades want to be
skinny like these women, who eat cotton balls and orange juice to feel fullwithout eating anything. Do we want our generation to be a size zero? That isnt"fit".

I didn’t say “thosemodels are the minority” I said “high fashion models are a small percentage of the total number of models”… not that it matters that the ratio of high fashion models to models has anything to do with the percentage of aspiring sticks? …or does it I’m confused? More importantly, you are twisting your reference, as I stated above, the article says 70% of children let magazine images influence their ideals of a perfect body. There is definitely no reference to 70% of girls want to be skinny like these women, who eat cotton balls and orange juice to feel full without eating anything.

P
resumably the children were surveyed, but there’sno mention of sample size…… Also, there is no mention of images of models? The images
were equally likely to be actresses and popstars as they were size zero models. You have provided no evidence that models are BAD for Society. Only some girls are influenced by famous people.

Your reference, goes on: “The National Institute of Health estimates the lifetime prevalence of anorexia and bulimia is 0.6 percent of the U.S. adult population, but among 13- to 18-year-olds, it is 2.7 percent. There are numerous risk factors, including being female, age (eating disorders are most common in the teens and early 20s), family history and influence, as well as the presence of additional mental health issues”

Your reference proves it’s small problem (as compared to obesity) and that there are many factors other than models which contribute to
eating disorders (funny how you didn’t quote that part of your single reference).

BTW…. One of the most recent and careful global estimates finds that roughly 500 million adults are obese (defined as a body mass index, or BMI, of 30 or higher). That’s almost 10 percent of men and 14 percent of women—and it’s nearly double the rate of obesity in 1980. Nearly 1.5 billion adults were overweight or obese (defined as a BMI of 25 or higher). Data are scarcer on obesity in children, but one global estimate finds that in 2010, 43 million preschool children were overweight or obese, according to the latest international benchmarks set for children, and obesity rates have been steadily rising in preschoolers since the 1990s. If nothing is done to reverse the epidemic, more than 1 billion adults are
projected to be obese by 2030!!! ...... so the models can’t be influencing that many people to take up weight loss!! J

http://www.hsph.harvard.edu......

http://www.hsph.harvard.edu......

http://www.hsph.harvard.edu......

http://www.who.int......

http://www.noo.org.uk......

http://www.cdc.gov......

http://www.iaso.org......

MadisonMichelle

Pro

MadisonMichelle forfeited this round.
STAGIESTCOSINE

Con

My opponent is unable to continue.
MadisonMichelle

Pro

MadisonMichelle forfeited this round.
STAGIESTCOSINE

Con

The busy girl can't continue, I win!
Posted by Hazey 3 years ago
Hazey
I think the problem is the social pressure to be like a model, not model's themselves or the company who chooses the models. I think there are factors such as the person's self-esteem to begin with.
Posted by Ragnar 3 years ago
Ragnar
Please post this again to the forums when it's actually over... I'd encourage people to count it as a concession, awarding pro conduct and con arguments.
Posted by STAGIESTCOSINE 3 years ago
STAGIESTCOSINE
Hey, that's no problem. Cheers for the debate anyway.

..... good luck with the choir and FFA speech stuff.
Posted by MadisonMichelle 3 years ago
MadisonMichelle
I'm going to have to forfiet all of my current debates. I have prelims for state, choir concerts, and FFA speech stuff. I have to time to post arguements. Sor ry
Posted by STAGIESTCOSINE 3 years ago
STAGIESTCOSINE
whoops, sorry. I'll post my debate in a few minutes...
Posted by MadisonMichelle 3 years ago
MadisonMichelle
@STAGIESTCOSINE
I wasnt talking to you..
Posted by STAGIESTCOSINE 3 years ago
STAGIESTCOSINE
I did not mean every single person is getting fatter? I'm sorry if that is what you understood? My point was the percentage of the population categorized as overweight has grown in the last three decades or so. I thought this was an accepted fact? I guess not!! Here are some interesting articles to prove the point in question. You may find them interesting.....

http://www.hsph.harvard.edu...
http://www.hsph.harvard.edu...
http://www.hsph.harvard.edu...
http://www.who.int...
http://www.noo.org.uk...
http://www.cdc.gov...
http://www.iaso.org...

I look forward to your reply.
Have a great day!
Posted by MadisonMichelle 3 years ago
MadisonMichelle
In all respect, your statement is in fact false. Only a small minority has gained weight and the majority have strived to be skinny. You can't count every single person in the nation getting larger, that is false, so thanks for your opinion anyways.
Posted by KBShop 3 years ago
KBShop
"They state they "want to look like Angelina Jolie" . Models are only making todays women want to be unrealistic, and unhealthy. Therefore .. models are bad for society."

I'd like to point out that our nation has only gained more weight as a whole, so the idea that women want to be unrealistically thin is in actuality false.
Vote Placed by iamanatheistandthisiswhy 3 years ago
iamanatheistandthisiswhy
MadisonMichelleSTAGIESTCOSINETied
Reasons for voting decision: Cons arguments were far stronger and relied on sources which related to the topic. Pros sources on the other hand were derived from sources that misrepresented the original argument for which they were derived. Grammar goes to Con, as Pro made some simple errors like double punctuation. Conduct is awarded to Con for not forfeiting the debate.
Vote Placed by yay842 3 years ago
yay842
MadisonMichelleSTAGIESTCOSINETied
Reasons for voting decision: forfeit