ChristianPunk
DonovanGwinn

Modern Day Society: Prayer and Practice of Religion in Schools

ChristianPunk

ChristianPunk

Pro

Accept if you want.

1st Round: Intro and Opening Statements

2nd and 3rd: Debate Phase

4th: Closing Statements
DonovanGwinn

Con

They should not be allowed inside of schools due to the fact that they will cause harm to the minority of the school students. Also, since the majority will likely decide what is the mainstream religion, the minority will most likely not be able to put their side of religion into things.
ChristianPunk

Pro

For my opening statement, I will point out that the freedom to practice religion is protected by the constitution due to our freedom of expression. Same applies to atheists and agnostics. When people practice religion, we must also be aware to seperate church from state as in the constitution. Pray can be allowed in schools, but religion should not be forced. For example. My high school didn't say "Let us all our pray.......... Good morning students. It's Monday and 70 degrees outside." Instead we said "Let's all bow our heads for a moment of silence........ Good morning." We said that to let christians and muslms and jewish people pray while letting atheists have a moment to themselves. It was more respectable. It won't cause harm to society since it didn't to others. We still taught evolution. Which is how I came across the belief evolution can be real and it also doesn't disprove my faith in God. Adam and Eve made by God, but where were they? Maybe in one area while Evolution took place everywhere else. Back to the point. We had christian clubs, but we can let other clubs be established. Atheist clubs. Muslim clubs. And the majority is not allowed to establish a mainstream religion, only a majortity. The majority is Christianity at the moment, but it is not what should be enforced. The minority has as much control in the school as the majority people. Your probably thinking people's rights are being robbed, but they aren't because of the country we live in where freedom is the symbol of our stance. I'm an anarchist and I don't believe in authority over our beliefs. I just believe Christianity is not a religion but has been abused by the majority to become one. So I practice Christianity far different from others. I don't speak hate, I don't preach violence or bigotry, and I definately don't believe gays are going to burn.
DonovanGwinn

Con

You are in fact correct when you are saying that it is guaranteed by the Federal Constitution of the United States. But in the part that "Congress shall not endorse" is the part that public schools are run by the federal government, therefore abide by the Federal Constitution and statutes of the Supreme Court.
However, the part that when a school says, "Lets all bow our heads for a moment of silence" is in fact an endorsement of religion since Christianity, Muslims, and Hebrews do so when they pray.
Evolution can be taught because it is a proven thing to have happened. I may be Pagan, but beliefs and facts are different for a reason.
You also claim only "a majority" can establish it, which is unconstitutional. And no they do not. In fact, when religious lawsuits have been taken to court, it is the majority that caused it to happen. The minority were not numbered enough to stop it.
I respect you for your thinking of beliefs in conflict with your religion and political beliefs, but the part where religious rights are being robbed is wrong. Look at State Constitutions, the monetary system, Pledge of Allegiance.
ChristianPunk

Pro

I never stated the majortiy can ever establish an official religion of the school. They can only say what the majority of the students are. The way to do that is by a survey they can state religious beliefs. The Constitution and Pledge was because some of our founding fathers were Christians as well as some to be secular. We are to respect other people for their beliefs. As the great Voltaire once stated, "I do not agree with what you have to say, but I'll defend to the death your right to say it." Equality and tolerance is what we must establish. Our religious founding fathers had this in mind because everybody should have rights no matter religious views, political views, sexual orientation, skin color, or ethnicity. All men are to be equal. I am friends with a muslim who I respect for his views. I have studied the muslim culture and even Taqwacore, a hardocore punk rock music defined around muslim culture and rebellion against the muslim authority and the USA. I am friends with many non theists and agnostics who went to school with me and had no problem with the whole prayer in schools. They said atheists who complain are just looking for reasons to argue and complain about something that doesn't apply to them. Your making a conspiracy that the school will enforce a brainwashing doctrine onto you when they aren't allowed to and they aren't going to. If my God has told me anything, it is that we are to show kindness and love. If you know any biblical stories, Jesus took in Matthew to be one of the 12 disciples. And Matthew was considered a sinner by the majority of people. So if a Christian wants to shun you for your beliefs and cast you out, shame on them. God does not like the self righteous. Only the humble. God blessed the peace makers, the humble, the mourning, and the poor. He didn't bless the greedy, the corrupt in power, nor the fascists of America. And that's coming from my beliefs.
DonovanGwinn

Con

DonovanGwinn forfeited this round.
ChristianPunk

Pro

I'll end my stance with this.

Religion is not something people should force upon. They can't and won't be able to due to our rights to practice any form of religion or view or philosophy. If a person wants to say prayer, they can. One wants to say silent time, they can. It's about speech. And if you take away the right of somebody's speech, then what good will that do? Atheists are tired of being told to be quiet by religious people, but should atheists people stoop to their level by doing the same later on? It's like Christmas. Nobody cares about it's Christian background. Only that kids love it when Santa is mentioned. They rarely notice Christ in Oh Come All Ye Faithful or Joy to the World.
DonovanGwinn

Con

Sorry, I had computer problems and accept my forfeit with dignity intact. So, also my final stance ends with this.
Like you said, it is not something to enforce (sorry to copy). If we were to allow it, the people who runs the majority will make sure that only theirs is passed. Next thing that will happen would be Bibles in schools and after that, there would be fights over trying to get everyone to read them who don't even want to.
Children are unable to understand religion and the 1st Amendment fully. Adults try to get their view inside of schools because of this. Children will believe whatever you tell them and this is not the way we should try to get religion in schools. Religion is based on beliefs, not facts like the educational process is meant for. You can have a moment of silence, but you may not enforce it. You can have religious clubs, but the school may not allow it to be school-sponsored/directed.
Vote Placed by supershamu 3 years ago
supershamu
ChristianPunkDonovanGwinnTied
Reasons for voting decision: This was a bit difficult to score for me but I think Pro equating the issue to the constitution was the stronger argument. Was definitely interesting!