Chaotiklown
Kleptin

Modern Music On the Radio

Con Tied Pro

Chaotiklown

Con

My claim is that modern-day pop and rap music on the radio is unhealthy, misleading, and generally bad for society- assuming that we would all want to strive to achieve a better one.
Kleptin

Pro

Though I actually do find today's modern music to be of very bad taste and probably have a taste in music that dates beyond anyone on this forum, I have to say that I am FOR modern music on the radio.

Like it or not, this garbage music appeals to the majority of people, and the only way radio stations can stay in business is to play things that would garner an audience and thus, appease the sponsors via advertisement.
Chaotiklown

Con

The meat of it all:

First of all, we'll have to analyze Kleptin's response.

****"Though I actually do find today's modern music to be of very bad taste"

Kleptin, this is purely opinion, and has nothing to do with my actual claim. Taste can mean that someone just doesn't like the way the music sounds, but that in itself isn't unhealthy or bad for society.

Now you also mentioned something about this "garbage" music appealing to the majority of people. That is unfortunately true, but truth is not measured in mass appeal-

Through things like MTV, people are fed an image of life. Much rap on the radio advertises the idea that these rappers would blow somebody away for looking at them wrong, and sell crack just because they want money for some new rims... Also, the idea is thrown at women to go after those rappers, and put on minimal clothing and dance on their cars-

One such song is by a rapper by the name of "Yung Joc", with a song called "It's goin' down", which is still all over the radio.... Here are the lyrics, in which he's talking about a trap, going around with a pistol on his lap, and of course- all for money:

http://www.metrolyrics.com...

Analyzing it further, most people do not know what a trap is. A trap is a slang word for a place where dealers will gather to sell drugs- mainly crack, sold in somewhat of a drive-through fashion.

Now the FCC(Federal Communications Commission) says that rappers can't say the F-word on the radio, but it's alright to promote dangerous drugs and violent, gun-pulling mentalities... See the problem here?

Is this anything for kids to grow up listening to? Music does reflect life, and kids mimic these people they look up to- crack dealers make terrible role models, in my opinion. Let's not forget, the radio is entirely public- a four-year-old can tune in at any time...

You also mentioned advertisement... What's more important: the sponsors, or the musical creators? On a side note(and purely my opinion), I believe that music and the market for music is changing. No longer does a musical artist need to pay a recording label to market their music, put it on the radio, and put it where people can hear it. Now, anybody can get a myspace page and throw their music up there, make a website, and directly market their music- The playing field is evening out.
Kleptin

Pro

"Kleptin, this is purely opinion, and has nothing to do with my actual claim. Taste can mean that someone just doesn't like the way the music sounds, but that in itself isn't unhealthy or bad for society."

I never said it had anything to do with your claim. I'm just emphasizing the point that the purpose of modern music on the radio is beyond what people like to hear, that's all.

"Now you also mentioned something about this "garbage" music appealing to the majority of people. That is unfortunately true, but truth is not measured in mass appeal-"

Argumentum ad Populum doesn't apply here. Truth is not measured in mass appeal, but I'm not trying to argue that the popularity of the music makes it good. I'm arguing that the popularity of the music corresponds to an increase in revenue, which is why we should expect that type of music to be on the air as opposed to other kinds of music.

"Through things like MTV, people are fed an image of life...Let's not forget, the radio is entirely public- a four-year-old can tune in at any time..."

In this section, my opponent details the social consequences of broadcasting this music. I need to remind my opponent that media influence on pop culture is not unidirectional, it is cyclical. The media exists to provide stimulus and excitement by stretching social boundaries. Anything beyond that would be rejected by society and would have no effect on it. Through time, society would become more and more tolerant of this stretching and would require additional stimulus, much like how one develops a muscle.

In other words, there must have been an appeal towards this sort of violent lifestyle for society to accept its existence in music, and following with this cyclical trend, we are beginning to see more and more of it. This means that the modern music you are hearing is a reflection of a natural change in society and societal ideals.

"You also mentioned advertisement... What's more important: the sponsors, or the musical creators? On a side note(and purely my opinion), I believe that music and the market for music is changing. No longer does a musical artist need to pay a recording label to market their music, put it on the radio, and put it where people can hear it. Now, anybody can get a myspace page and throw their music up there, make a website, and directly market their music- The playing field is evening out."

My opponent assumes I will answer that we should value the creators of music more than the sponsors, and following that, argues that we allow for artistic expression in other methods, and need not broadcast it on radio.

First of all, I can say that the answer to the first question is irrelevant to this debate. The issue is whether modern style music should be banned from radio. Broadcasting music that will generate revenue from sponsors does not harm musical creators, so this is a false dichotomy and should be ignored.

Second, I would like to respond to my opponent's point on music and the changes in music. If it is true that anyone can market their music, isn't it fair that any type of music should be allowed to be played on the radio?
Chaotiklown

Con

Read post below please...

Anxiously awaiting my opponent's response! Lol...
what!? 100 characters! Rediculous...
Kleptin

Pro

I empathize with you, but it's not really that people are inactive, it's just that people would much rather be debating than reading other debates. I do vote, but I rarely venture outside the first few topics on the news page.

Sorry you had to forfeit and I hope you do decide to stay :/
Posted by Chaotiklown 8 years ago
Chaotiklown
Hey, I can get down with some oldies... 60's 70's are the best... The true golden age of music. There was a few subliminal songs in there, but most of it was nothing but love. Great era:-)
Posted by leethal 8 years ago
leethal
Haha, yeah you're on your own there Kleptin. The only thing I will listen to from the 50s is Lenny Bruce recordings. The earliest I will go music-wise is Bob Dylan's self-titled, 1962.
Posted by Kleptin 8 years ago
Kleptin
Oh you people and your music. I'm also angered by the garbage playing on the radio today, but who else appreciates Big Band and classic Swing? The Crooners of the 50's, Bing Crosby, Perry Como, Dean Martin, Frank Sinatra?

::sigh::
Posted by Chaotiklown 8 years ago
Chaotiklown
Gift of Gab would be one of them to check out, by the way... Aesop Rock? The Roots?.... the list could go on...
Posted by Chaotiklown 8 years ago
Chaotiklown
You dork, What did I just say?....

The radio gives a bad name to rap. There is good, broad-minded, conscious, positive underground rap out there- All most people hear is that crap comes of out the radio...
Posted by liberalconservative 8 years ago
liberalconservative
only bad music is rap because it deprives women, and makes many young people think that the world owes them some thing
Posted by Chaotiklown 8 years ago
Chaotiklown
You're right, music is dear to me. It's not something through which the media should be exploiting to the degree it does There is a lot of great underground bands out there- It makes me sad how rap has been hacked up by these images... There's a lot of musical artists out there doing it for the right reasons- The reasons of an Artist. Not just to appease some recording label and get rich fast:-(

And thanks Kleptin, I see what you mean about people wanting to debate, and not mess with voting much... I'd be curious to know the total members active over the last say... week or so.

It's for another religious debate, but I believe the world can possibly get better, make it livable on this rock, maybe even expand from it eventually...

I often wonder about solutions to our problems in this world, and I have high hopes for the internet. I've thought before about something like debate.org possibly determining our president- Anyone can be heard, without the need for millions in advertising... We usually only see a few people up until the final debates... What if people actually start listening to someone with their head on straight? I don't know, might not even see it, but I don't believe in giving up hope for the future.

Good luck in the debates(everyone that reads this).
Posted by leethal 8 years ago
leethal
A likely story, dude.

There are good modern-day bands. I was once of the opinion that my generation had nothing good to show music-wise, but have since changed my mind. Listen to Against Me!, Kings of Leon, King Kahn and the BBQ Show. The further you go from what's playing on the radio, the more you will see that there are some really great bands out there, playing real music and saying s**t that matters.
Posted by Chaotiklown 8 years ago
Chaotiklown
Ya know, I'd love to continue this debate, but I'm rather disappointed with this site. I've had a debate up for voting a full 24 hours now, and there's only been 8 votes- and 2 of those are my opponent and I. I'm interested in debating, but this site is not sufficient... I'm gonna have to keep my eyes open for another site with a few more people on it... Sorry to start the debate and not complete it
Posted by Geekis_Khan 8 years ago
Geekis_Khan
Hmm... I don't necessarily agree or disagree, but I'm interested to see how you'll prove your claims. Especially the "misleading" part.
Vote Placed by emospongebob527 4 years ago
emospongebob527
ChaotiklownKleptinTied
Reasons for voting decision: Counter Votebomb
Vote Placed by iholland95 4 years ago
iholland95
ChaotiklownKleptinTied
Vote Placed by Kleptin 7 years ago
Kleptin
ChaotiklownKleptinTied
Vote Placed by JBlake 8 years ago
JBlake
ChaotiklownKleptinTied
Vote Placed by Robert_Santurri 8 years ago
Robert_Santurri
ChaotiklownKleptinTied
Vote Placed by Tatarize 8 years ago
Tatarize
ChaotiklownKleptinTied
Vote Placed by LedLegend 8 years ago
LedLegend
ChaotiklownKleptinTied
Vote Placed by bexy_kelly 8 years ago
bexy_kelly
ChaotiklownKleptinTied
Vote Placed by whitesoxfan450 8 years ago
whitesoxfan450
ChaotiklownKleptinTied
Vote Placed by liberalconservative 8 years ago
liberalconservative
ChaotiklownKleptinTied