MelodyPowers645
Skaarj42

Modern Pop Music is Inferior to Classic Music

Started: 1/7/2016 Category: Music

MelodyPowers645

Pro

Hi! Welcome to my debate. If you accept this debate, you will be arguing that Pop Music is superior to Classic Music, specifically the era of 60's to 80's. For the purpose of this debate, modern pop can be defined as popular music from the 21st century. The first round is acceptance, but other than that this is a pretty relaxed debate. Good Luck!
Skaarj42

Con

Personally I believe you cannot compare the two genre's because they are two totally different genre's in different time period. I actually enjoy classical music a lot more than most pop but its hard to compare genres all together because there are so many artists and composers for each style of music
MelodyPowers645

Pro

"I try not to turn on the radio often, but when I do I feel very sad for humanity, my future children, and the soul, or, the lack thereof, of the music industry."
~Jordan Taylor

Modern pop music cannot be an improvement upon older music because pop music is a stretch of the definition of music. Music is defined in the dictionary as vocal and instrument sounds combined in such a way as to produce beauty of form, harmony, and expression of emotion. So how can a collection of sounds lacking real instruments, harmony, true emotion, and any beauty at all be defined as real music? So here I use the term "music" very broadly.
Just because they are two different genres of music does not mean one can not be superior to the other. When you place the two types of music side by side, comparisons and conclusions can be made.
In this debate I will prove that modern pop music is inferior to classic music using two main categories- sound appeal and lyrics.
Skaarj42

Con

Skaarj42 forfeited this round.
MelodyPowers645

Pro

I see you have decided to forfeit your round, therefore instead of refuting your arguments I will simply move on to my second argument.
My second argument is about the sound appeal of music. 30 or more years ago big band instruments like trumpets and saxophones were often incorporated into music. Some songs featured full orchestras, or even cow bells and church organs. On top of all this 4 part harmonies are often incorporated. These days you"ll be lucky if you can find a 2 part harmony. The simplistic nature and similarity of today"s music has been a big disappointment to those of us that have been exposed to music from earlier eras. In fact, only 6 different chord patterns can be found in the list of top most listened to songs in America today. Older music has more diversity, so it naturally gains more appeal. There is actually scientific proof to back this up. When a person listens to music, a chemical reaction called the Dopamine reaction occurs, releasing "feel good" chemicals into our brain. Studies show that the simplicity and predictability of pop music actually reduces the amount of these chemicals that are released.
Skaarj42

Con

Skaarj42 forfeited this round.
MelodyPowers645

Pro

Since you have decided for a second time to forfeit your turn to debate, I have decided that there is no longer any reason to continue putting out my arguments.
Skaarj42

Con

Skaarj42 forfeited this round.
MelodyPowers645

Pro

I will now explain why I have won this debate, though it should be obvious to anyone voting. I put forth several good reasons to support my argument, that Pop is inferior to Classic music, none of which were negated. My opponent put forth no good arguments and therefore I, by default, won this debate.
Skaarj42

Con

Skaarj42 forfeited this round.
Posted by MelodyPowers645 1 year ago
MelodyPowers645
Seriously? How in the world did I not win this?
Posted by MelodyPowers645 1 year ago
MelodyPowers645
Thanks- I think I will take you up on that, as long as you don't mind that I use some of the same arguments. I put a lot of thought into them and it's a shame they went uncontested.
Posted by BetteMidler 1 year ago
BetteMidler
I would love to debate this with you if you are willing to do it again. I will not forfeit the rounds!
Posted by moneystacker 1 year ago
moneystacker
The resolution makes it look like you are advocating pop music is better then classic music.

I would edit he debate real quick and change it to "classic music is better then pop" to help out voters