Thiago_Kadooka
supernintendo64

Modern games are better than old school or classic games

Started: 1/14/2014 Category: Games

Thiago_Kadooka

Pro

Some people keep saying to me, the same ridiculous old story, that classic games (16 bits or down) are better than today games.
What a preposterous statement... in no way this is true! Nostalgic feelings cannot come in the way when you judging this kind of things.
supernintendo64

Con

I accept your debate. may the best debater win! First and foremost I would like to add that in some cases your right in terms of technological advances modern games are superior but does that mean they are better? No! A game can be technologically superior to another game and still not be as good. True I wont deny the fact that better technology does give a game more advantages than a game from for example an nes. If done right however even a technologically inferior game can still be amazing. Also I hate it when people like yourself play the nostalgia card. In my honest opinion its just very cowardly. not to mention I don't like classic games simply because of nostalgia. I will however admit that there are certain old games that I have a somewhat nostalgia bias towards but I've played plenty of old school video games that I've never played when I was younger.

Also I don't understand why gamers like yourself use nostalgia so negatively. Nostalgia is more of a good thing than it is a bad. Its a mental medicine that helps cope with stress, (although this is kind of irrelevant to this debate.). My point is however nostalgia is a good thing! Its saving the game industry! Tell me do gamers like you just want shooters in the market?
Thiago_Kadooka

Pro

So let get things clear here!

i am not saying that every modern game are better than every classic game, they are not! But overall, modern games are far better than classic games, and not only because technology advances, but game design advances!

In the technology perspective, you can see so much more ideas coming through, when you see Super Meat Boy, Fez, and even the most recent Mario game, the Super Mario 3D World, where you can see incredible ideas that was not possible before!

Things like better online play, and aspects like different kind of hardware like kinect and wii mote! things that 16 bit era only wish!

in the design aspect, you can see lots of new artistic approaches, like Journey, Dear Esther and Gone Home, you can see really beautiful experiences who really show how games have matured along the time, thing that you never saw in the early ages 16 bits and before.

Nostalgic feeling is awesome, remember us of how was our lives in the ages that everything was new for us, this is all amazing, but even when we see a game remade, he got new concepts of modern age of gaming!

when i say, nostalgia is bad, is regarding the idea of comparison between old and new, when you comparing such a thing, you cannot put nostalgic feeling together with reasonable arguments.
supernintendo64

Con

"i am not saying that every modern game are better than every classic game, they are not! But overall, modern games are far better than classic games, and not only because technology advances, but game design advances!"

So your telling that in terms of design old games aren't as good? Really? Ever played Donkey Kong country ,super Mario world, super Mario bros 3,super Mario 64, Yoshi's island, and many other numerous retro/classic games with creative design and graphics?

"In the technology perspective, you can see so much more ideas coming through, when you see Super Meat Boy, Fez, and even the most recent Mario game, the Super Mario 3D World, where you can see incredible ideas that was not possible before!"

True but many of those games were inspired by a certain game from the past. First I would like to admit because of technology we are able to make more interesting graphics and design than in the past but honestly to say that they are better in terms of design, no I disagree.

"Things like better online play, and aspects like different kind of hardware like kinect and wii mote! things that 16 bit era only wish!"

Well first off while online play is an interesting feature in a game and console I would like to add I don't play a game or console simply because of its online capabilities. Also I admit that motion controls sucked back than (play the power glove XD) also the Kinect sucks, so I don't comprehend why you would add it on here.

"in the design aspect, you can see lots of new artistic approaches, like Journey, Dear Esther and Gone Home, you can see really beautiful experiences who really show how games have matured along the time, thing that you never saw in the early ages 16 bits and before"

like I said before I will admit that we have achieved more creative designs and such due to superior tech however you fail to realize that games back than also had creative designs.

"Nostalgic feeling is awesome, remember us of how was our lives in the ages that everything was new for us, this is all amazing, but even when we see a game remade, he got new concepts of modern age of gaming!"

New concepts don't mean better though just like new designs. New designs don't mean better designs. I hate the saying "up with the new and down with the old." because that mentality is stupid. not everything new is better than everything old.

"when i say, nostalgia is bad, is regarding the idea of comparison between old and new, when you comparing such a thing, you cannot put nostalgic feeling together with reasonable arguments."

Your right on that one. When it comes down to arguing over anything in general nostalgia should not be a reason.
Thiago_Kadooka

Pro

"So your telling that in terms of design old games aren't as good? Really? Ever played Donkey Kong country ,super Mario world, super Mario bros 3,super Mario 64, Yoshi's island, and many other numerous retro/classic games with creative design and graphics?"

Old games are definitely good, they all are good, i never said the contrary.

"True but many of those games were inspired by a certain game from the past. First I would like to admit because of technology we are able to make more interesting graphics and design than in the past but honestly to say that they are better in terms of design, no I disagree."

Of course games are inspired on the past, that's actually my point, games evolved from that, and them they became something better, evolving concepts!
And of course, design included, as far as technology go, you can do more on design side.
But if you disagree give me something to go on... don't just say you disagree...
so since this is my last statement on this debate i will expand my thought.

Lets take an RPG for example, that kind of random encounter, is REALLY annoying, since we all went away from this kind of concept, games gotten better and more enjoyable to play, that concept is long gone and should remain far away from modern games.
Those concepts helped us having a overall better experience when playing games.

"the Kinect sucks, so I don't comprehend why you would add it on here."

even if kinect sucks "for you", people like it, and they can have new ways to experiment different kinds of gaming, most of all, we can have openings to new ways to expand our game design with new ideas and possibilities, even with as you say "suck" hardware

"you fail to realize that games back than also had creative designs."

I never said that, but what i said is that today, we have better designs as far as concerns about new artistic ways of gaming. Today, we have really more deep experience's from those games than we ever had!

"New concepts don't mean better though just like new designs. New designs don't mean better designs. I hate the saying "up with the new and down with the old." because that mentality is stupid. not everything new is better than everything old."

Again, i never said that. I actually said the contrary and additionally, i said that overall today games are better than classic games.
But i can say that there is lot of remakes, who lost that "catch" that the old classics have.

But even so, if you play most every new Mario game, you can openly see that gap between classic and modern games, graphics, playability, design, possibilities, capabilities and so much more.
Super Mario Galaxy for instance, is so incredible, you can never create such magic like that in the old days technology, in the Super Mario 3D World, you can see the variety of possibilities game design can do these days, he offer so much more new designs than older Mario games!

(I am sticking mostly with Mario, because its easier to use as example, because he is around since classic era to today)
supernintendo64

Con

"Old games are definitely good, they all are good, i never said the contrary."

That's not what you said during the beginning of your previous post. Maybe I just misinterpreted what you said.

"Of course games are inspired on the past, that's actually my point, games evolved from that, and them they became something better, evolving concepts!
so since this is my last statement on this debate i will expand my thought."

Sorry I should've justified my disagreement but since you pretty much agree with me that old games can have pretty designs as well, there's no point to clarify my position.

"Lets take an RPG for example, that kind of random encounter, is REALLY annoying, since we all went away from this kind of concept, games gotten better and more enjoyable to play, that concept is long gone and should remain far away from modern games.
Those concepts helped us having a overall better experience when playing games."

what do you mean by "random encounter" exactly? Are you talking about how when your playing you come across a random enemy while walking?

"even if kinect sucks "for you", people like it, and they can have new ways to experiment different kinds of gaming, most of all, we can have openings to new ways to expand our game design with new ideas and possibilities, even with as you say "suck" hardware"

Well that's just my opinion. the thing is very unresponsive.

"I never said that, but what i said is that today, we have better designs as far as concerns about new artistic ways of gaming. Today, we have really more deep experience's from those games than we ever had!"

I agree with you on that part well except that last part when you said that we have more deep experiences than back then but because I already explained why in my previous argument to you, there's no reason to justify or explain my disagreement.

"Again, i never said that. I actually said the contrary and additionally, i said that overall today games are better than classic games.
But i can say that there is lot of remakes, who lost that "catch" that the old classics have."

Sorry for jumping to the wrong conclusion.

"But even so, if you play most every new Mario game, you can openly see that gap between classic and modern games, graphics, playability, design, possibilities, capabilities and so much more.
Super Mario Galaxy for instance, is so incredible, you can never create such magic like that in the old days technology, in the Super Mario 3D World, you can see the variety of possibilities game design can do these days, he offer so much more new designs than older Mario games!"

Yes I agree super Mario galaxy was an amazing game and you can still create an amazing game with or without good up to date technology. Play super Mario 64. That game is simply a masterpiece even today. It has a gorgeous art design and just overall amazing gameplay. I am happy that you were my opponent and I hope we can debate again sometime :)