dunzy96
Itsallovernow

Modern music is declining in quality

Con Tied Pro

dunzy96

Con

Modern music has been criticised by older generations for years. I am not saying that all older generations disapprove but a large amount do, these people say that music in there day was a lot better than the modern chart topping hits. But this is untrue for various reasons, for starters all generations think that their music was best. It is a well known fact.
They have said that they believe music is bad because it is being edited and dubbed. But doesn't that make the music better, I agree that music editing should be banned as it makes the artist seem better than they are. But it does without a doubt make music better.
Secondly, music has changed styles which may be a reason some people disapprove. People like things to stay the same and if a certain type of music reminds them of their childhood then they will think other types of music are worst.
Thirdly, every generation has music that is just plain rubbish, most music is forgotten within about a year or two. But it's the classics that live on. So people are comparing the music now (most of this will be forgotten) with the classics and the best in music history.
I conclude that music is neither getting better nor is it getting worse, it is staying the same. Styles, artists, videos and editing may have changed but the root of the music, the quality and the feeling when you hear it has remained the same.
Itsallovernow

Pro

Resolution: Modern music is declining in quality.

I am in Affirmation of the resolution.

REBUTTAL:

1. My opponent does not give a source for the "elder generation" that disapproves of most modern music. Therefore, I ask the audience to disreguard this unless and until my oponent generates a source where most, defined as a majority (over 50%) of senior citizens disapprove of modern music.

2. Even if it were true, that arguement is a fallacy called "The Appeal to Popularity". According to, http://www.nizkor.org... , they state that "It is clearly fallacious to accept the approval of the majority as evidence for a claim." So all arguements based on the senior citizens is therefore invalid.

3. The second and third points of my opponent also have no source and are listed under the above falliacy.

4. My opponent contradicts himself when he says, " I agree that music editing should be banned as it makes the artist seem better than they are. But it does without a doubt make music better." Then he says, "I conclude that music is neither getting better nor is it getting worse."

I would like to point out my opponent has but the realms of his case around his belief that music is not getting better or worse, but he agrees that music is getting better? His case falls apart and his logic is flawed.

ANALYSIS:

For the reasons above, I believe my opponents arguements are flawed and invalid.

Contention:

1. According to the Rolling Stones magazine music experts (http://current.com...) the quality of music is declining "...quality of music is drastically dropping. Music engineers are being told to forget subtlety and crank up the sound levels 'to grab listeners attention" and the result, the magazine say, is nearly always for the worse.

Summary:

For the points above, my case is proven.

=VOTE PRO=
dunzy96

Con

For my second argument I am not going to go on about the 'elder generation' I am simpley going to go on about all the number 1's in the past year to prove that modern music is good. This is a bit different but I don't care.

Black Eyed Peas - I Gotta Feeling
David Huetta feat. Akon - Sexy Bith Chick
Dizzee Rascal - Holiday
Jay-Z feat. Rihanna and Kanye West - Run This Town
Pixie Lott - Boys and Girls
Taio Cruz - Beak Your Heart
Chipmunk feat. Dayo Olatunji - Oopsy Daisy
Alexandra Burke feat. Flo Rida - Bad Boys
Cheryl Cole - Fight for This Love
JLS - Everybody in Love
Black Eyed Peas - Meet Me Halfway
The X Factor Finalists 2009 - You Are Not Alone
Peter Kay's Animated All Sar Band - The Official BBC Children in Need Medley
Lady Gaga - Bad Romance
Rage Against the Machine - Killing in the Name
Joe McElderry - The Climb
Lady Gaga - Bad Romance
Iyaz - Replay
Owl City - Fireflies
Helping Haiti - Everybody Hurts
Jason Derulo - In My Head
Lady Gaga feat. Beyonce - Telephone
Scouting For Girls - This Ain't A Love Song
Usher feat. Will.I.Am - OMG
Diana Vickers - Once
Roll Deep feat. Jodie Conner - Good Times
B.O.B feat. Bruno Mars - Nothin' On You
Dizzee Rascal - Dirtee Disco
David Guetta & Chris Willis feat. Fergieand LMFAO - Getting Over You
Shout for England feat. Dizzee Rascal and James Corden - Shout
Katy Perry feat. Snoop Dogg - California Gurls
JLS - The Club Is Alive
B.O.B feat. Hayley Williams - Airplanes
Yolanda Be Cool & DCUP - We No Speak Americano
The Wanted - All Time Low
Ne-Yo Beautiful Monster
Flo Rid feat. David Guetta - Club Can't Handle Me

If this doesn't make you know that modern music then hopefully my last argument will.
Itsallovernow

Pro

Once more, my opponent has listed things that are considered "good" by public OPINION and not fact.

Therefore, my arguments still stand.
dunzy96

Con

First of all, if the public like it that means that it is good thus it is fact. If the public didn't like it then it would not be there and a load of older songs would be on the list and I would not be able to us the list. So my list and my original arguments are still standing. If would also like to say that I am not arguing that modern music is better, nor am I arguing that it's worse. Nothing more and nothing less.

Vote Con
Itsallovernow

Pro

Thank you for the debate.

My opponent thinks that just because something is popular, it's quality is good. This is inconclusive evidence and can not be withstood by itself, and therefore is not actual evidence. However, if my opponent could tell reasons WHY people liked it, it would be a point. However, just because it is of their taste in music does not make it good, because we all have different tastes in music.

My opponent also seems to believe that the "quality of music" is only limited to how "good" modern music is contending older music. This is not true, because he did not set the definition for quality, and has yet to argue my point. I proved, with a valid and highly expertized source (in the music field), that music is declining in quality. Since he has not argued them in the least, they still stand.

I have also proven why his only point is false due to a fallacy with a source, and he has yet to attack my source. Besides, the logic in his reasoning is flawed, thusly, a fallacy.

Please,

=VOTE PRO=
Posted by kenzi90 4 years ago
kenzi90
this debate is not worth the while because it does not stand on factual evidence. the quality of music can only be defined by its audience that is a fact its is a popularity contest. whether modern music quality is declining is a formed OPINION based on previous experience.
Posted by Itsallovernow 7 years ago
Itsallovernow
And since he demonstrated his case in an abstract way (by way of fallacy over factual evidence), my real claim holds more ground over his "public opinion".
Posted by Itsallovernow 7 years ago
Itsallovernow
It does have measure, though perhaps I should have provided the definition for quality. Quality in the resolution could also be inferred as audio quality. Since music is purely audio, and I was able to find a source stating the quality is of it is going down (Rolling Stones) with a context to my theory, then it can be inferred in that way. However, my opponent did not specify the premise.
Posted by RoyLatham 7 years ago
RoyLatham
How could the quality of music be defined except by its popular appeal? I can think of some possibilities, like the percentage of the music that remains popular for generations, or perhaps a measure of complexity of some kind. But Pro didn't offer a viable measure contrary to Con's. It isn't a fallacy to cite popular opinion if the thing being judged has no measure other than popular opinion.
Posted by Itsallovernow 7 years ago
Itsallovernow
43 Characters left :)
Vote Placed by C-Mach 6 years ago
C-Mach
dunzy96ItsallovernowTied
Vote Placed by Lamza61 7 years ago
Lamza61
dunzy96ItsallovernowTied
Vote Placed by hprulz 7 years ago
hprulz
dunzy96ItsallovernowTied
Vote Placed by RoyLatham 7 years ago
RoyLatham
dunzy96ItsallovernowTied
Vote Placed by zGodMode 7 years ago
zGodMode
dunzy96ItsallovernowTied
Vote Placed by Jurn77 7 years ago
Jurn77
dunzy96ItsallovernowTied
Vote Placed by Itsallovernow 7 years ago
Itsallovernow
dunzy96ItsallovernowTied