nonotHilton
NiamC

Modesty

NiamC

nonotHilton

Pro

I am in a crisis about modesty. I feel that I am not worthless but I do not feel my body is anything special. Not that I don't respect it but I feel like more free clothes would not be so terrible maybe because it is a human body. But it would be respected differently because not everyone could touch as for everyone could look. I don't believe one is a sex item and that they should be covered and that if one does not that it is their fault for being raped. I feel like I am more uncomfortable with showing my body any because I am so used to not seeing it as it is. However, there is one more part I have concern to; that I do not want to shove my beliefs down someone else's throat. I am completely empathetic for I don't really feel comfortable when a larger breasted girl will bend over. But when it is a smaller breasted girl I doubt it bothers me at all. Then all that leads to the thing about well you should be able to express freely your views and all and they don't have to look. It's just all so tricky. SOMEONE HELP ME THINK WHAT I AM TRYING TO THINK. P.S. I put for because I don't really think it can be a bad thing as long as it is not shaming the human body.
NiamC

Con

Well, I would not count this as a debate as there isn't a topic to actually debate against. Anyway, I accept this challenge. I look forward to what ever you may put forward.
nonotHilton

Pro

Well what is your opinion on modesty?
NiamC

Con

Well, I have been told to say about my opinion on modesty, so I shall do so. From what I know (please note that I am of 14 years of age), modesty is a very interesting subject in which certain aspects of this can be applied to modern culture and society and also religion. Modesty is why someone of any gender intends to avoid inducing or encouraging sexual tendencies and sexual encouragement towards other people of any genders. This can also be used to used to explain why some people may consider it inappropriate to reveal or show certain parts of the body through the use clothing. For example: A women who wears are bathing suit at a beach because it covers many certain body parts compared to a majority of people who will a bikini set etc. Psychologically speaking, the women probably chose the bathing suit because of her being insecure of her physical characteristics (which can be common). Someone who wears a bikini may be doing this because they don't feel as insecure and perhaps can use this to employ the use of sexual encouragement towards others.

In terms of religious reasons involving factors of modesty, there are many religions where the matter of modesty can be included such as Christianity, Islam, Judaism and Sikhism. E.g in Christianity, a women who has a faith such as Christianity and follows this would perhaps dress modestly with the belief that she will be rewarded by god for this virtue (This virtue was said to be commonly followed in earlier centuries). This also includes mental factors of opinions of morals and ethics. This can be supported by Proverbs 31:30 Favour is deceitful, and beauty is vain: but a woman that feareth the Lord, she shall be praised. in which this basically sums up what I said above. In Sikhism, modesty amongst men and women is very common in which:

1) If a Sikh believer wants to take an Baptism like initiation ceremony which is called 'Amrit', the Sikh will become a member of the Khalsa (a type of Sikhism dedicated to the foundation of the Khalsa involving the Panj Pyares) and will become an amritdhari Sikh. With this, male Sikh's are required to follow the dress code of the 5 K's: Kesh, Kangha, Kara, Kirpan and Kacha. The one of these K's which I would like to talk about is the kacha which are a pair of baggy shorts which symbolise a male Sikh's readiness and honour to fight for their faith or those in need. But they are also worn to symbolise modesty which is encouraged by the Guru Granth Sahib.

Now I will talk about aspects of modesty in the religion of Islam: As some of you will may, Islamic women in sharia law abiding countries such as Saudi Arabia are required to follow a dress code based on the prospects of modesty. This includes such things as the Hijab, Niqab and Burka. All of this are worn for modesty. Countries such as Iran and Saudi Arabia enforce this dress code. In countries where the majority of religion is Islam, they may also enforce dress code rules of modesty for males as well, for example: males are required to wear something which can cover the whole of the body down to the feet.

In conclusion I would like say that modesty can be based on effects from social influence but this may also be entailed with religious factors.

I look forward to my opponents response.
nonotHilton

Pro

nonotHilton forfeited this round.
NiamC

Con

It seems that my opponent has forfeited this round, which means that I do not have anything to counter against. Vote NiamC. Perhaps this debate can continue in the next round. I look forwards to my opponents late responce.
nonotHilton

Pro

nonotHilton forfeited this round.
NiamC

Con

My opponent has FORFEITED again!

don't bother with the next round (I don't know why i am saying this, you are not going to read this anyway).

Vote Niam C
nonotHilton

Pro

nonotHilton forfeited this round.
Posted by NiamC 2 years ago
NiamC
Pro!!! stop forfeiting please.
Vote Placed by ESocialBookworm 2 years ago
ESocialBookworm
nonotHiltonNiamCTied
Reasons for voting decision: FF and excellent, well-sourced arguments.
Vote Placed by Blade-of-Truth 2 years ago
Blade-of-Truth
nonotHiltonNiamCTied
Reasons for voting decision: Conduct - Con. Pro forfeited R3, R4, &R5. This is never acceptable in a debate. Although I recognize, along with NiamC, that this isn't necessarily a 'debate', it was carried out in debate form and therefore counts as improper conduct. S & G - Tie. I was very close to awarding this to Con, but considering that there were no technical spelling errors but rather just minor grammar mistakes made by Pro in R1, I feel it is pointless awarding points to Con. He won this regardless. Arguments - Con. Successfully provided a response to Pro's question. Pro failed to provide any form of response after Con's initial reply. Although this was more of a Q & A type debate, Con successfully upheld his end. Sources - Although Con utilized images in this debate, neither sourced anything. For this, they tie.
Vote Placed by Wylted 2 years ago
Wylted
nonotHiltonNiamCTied