Aliboo123
BarbieSoFetch

Moment of Silence

Aliboo123

Pro

I believe all schools should consider having a moment of silence to begin the school day. It gives the Students/Teachers a chance to organize thoughts, ideas, and/or (voluntary) praying.
BarbieSoFetch

Con

I believe students should have the choice of a moment of silence. I mean, at my school we do it, but the only reason I say it is because it wastes more time. Which is another reason we shan't have it, it's a waste of time. The students don't care. It's more of an obligation. I mean sure it's to recognize our flag, etc. But it's not necessary. My school does the moment of silence to our country and the state we live in along with our school pledge. It wastes so much time!
Aliboo123

Pro

I disagree! The moment of silence is about 30 seconds to a minute long, I'm pretty sure you're not going to learn any life changing information in 30 seconds. Besides, this time could be used to honor American soldiers who are busy fighting in other countries and sometimes can't even be there when their child is born. I feel like they should get a moment of respect. If you're religious, you can have the opportunity to pray for a family member or friend who is in need.
BarbieSoFetch

Con

The majority of people are religious and they honestly don't care. Everyone in class just mumbles the pledge or sleeps. It's really quite boring. But I think it is useless. And we had days to honor fallen soldiers. And what if some people didn't feel comfortable saying the pledge? And praying isn't likely.
Aliboo123

Pro

I am going to revert back to the fact that the moment of silence is literally 30 seconds long. It can't be that boring. You are right that we have days honoring soldiers but I, along with many others, agree that even days celebrated for them are never enough. They risked their lives and all the school asks for is 30 seconds of the student's time to be quiet and respectful. Maybe people such as you don't care about it but others do. It is an opportunity to have some peace of mind. Is that so horrible?
BarbieSoFetch

Con

Okay, let me make something clear, my moment of silence includes the pledges and stuff. It takes like 5 minutes. And I believe if someone cares that much, they can do that on their own time. The dinner table, at lunch, during free periods. I get that it does honor the fallen soldiers, but think of the people who aren't religious. If you consider the moment of silence a time to pray, or reflect on their day, well then some people might find that offensive. And for the reflection part, if it's thirty minutes, how would someone reflect? I reassure you, not many people care, and if they are religious, they can pray during breakfast or the night before.
Aliboo123

Pro

The moment of Silence is the moment of silence. The pledge of allegiance has nothing to do with the topic. It is not unconstitutional to have a moment of silence in school. The way our school does it, we have the pledge of allegiance on Mondays. The rest of the week we have about 30 seconds of a moment of silence. In conclusion, comparing a 30 second time to collect thoughts for a time period where you'll hardly even get anything done except complain about how tired you are, what would you rather choose?
BarbieSoFetch

Con

BarbieSoFetch forfeited this round.
Posted by gabep 2 years ago
gabep
As I can recall, this usually does not end well.