fawz12
MaestroEvans

Money and fame are a perfect blend. Yes or no? why?

fawz12

Pro

Money and fame are a perfect blend because.....
MaestroEvans

Con

At the moment, I would like to say that I accept and I look forward to participating in this debate. Money and fame are a perfect blend--because....?
fawz12

Pro

fawz12 forfeited this round.
MaestroEvans

Con

Needless to say, I am disappointed that my opponent has failed to post his opening argument. I will do the honor of kicking off this debate.

Nothing is perfect

In nature, nothing is perfect and everything is perfect. Trees can be contorted, bent in weird ways, and they're still beautiful.

- Alice Walker [1]

What is perfect? Just think about the word "perfect." Many of us associate it with a day that has gone seemingly without downers and/or a day spent having a really great time. Subjectively, it means just that: great, marvelous, sensational, awesome, and the words that describes a good day in a person's mind. "Perfection;" I am assuming that all of you have heard of that one as well in phrases such as "skills honed to perfection," or "art in the image of perfection," but what do they really mean when they describe a day as “perfect,” or a piece of artwork as the essence of perfection?

I am not executing a semantic attack; a point that we must consider when thinking about perfection is that nothing is perfect. How can anything be perfect? A new Playstation 3 slim will not remain new forever and will eventually break down. A large pizza from Pizza Hut does not appeal to everybody. Money is susceptible to deflation and inflation while fame is not necessarily the result of a good deed or a phenomenal piece of work (Rebecca Black, anybody? “It’s Friday, Friday, gotta get down on Friday”).

Really, a better way to associate something with being awesome, exquisite, or whatever in the context of how “perfect” and “perfection” is used is by simply calling them the best.

With that being said, all I really need to do to prove how the relationship between money and fame is not perfect is provide an example when money and fame failed.

Justin Bieber

It is not that hard, really. Just look at Justin Bieber. He is estimated to have banked at least $100 million by the age of 17 and earns around $300 thousand per concert [2]. I’m assuming that many of you know him as a pop phenomenon.

Unfortunately, as a pop phenomenon, much of his life is shared with the world—both the good and the bad. His fame has been used to harm others: did you know that Justin s smoked marijuana? Apparently, pranksters used this to set up an elaborate hoax consisting of photos of slashed wrists, blades and the like. The aim was to convince fans of Justin Bieber to cut themselves in an effort to convince Bieber to stop smoking marijuana [3].

There you have it. Photos alleging that Justin Bieber smoked marijuana went viral. This news provided the pranksters with the engine needed to convince people to cut themselves and his money was unable to stop or pay for the psychological and tissue damages done. I rest my case.

1: http://thinkexist.com....

2: http://www.thisismoney.co.uk...

3: http://realitytvmagazine.sheknows.com...

fawz12

Pro

fawz12 forfeited this round.
MaestroEvans

Con

No contest (literally).