ice.jeremy
IHaile

Money can buy everything

ice.jeremy

ice.jeremy

Con

I am against the saying the money can buy everything. I will start this argument by saying that money can't buy everything. Now I want to hear your opinions.
IHaile

Pro

I definitely understand how money could be seen as the key to happiness. Money can definitely help you get plenty of things. People who can't afford to do certain things might never have the chance to change their lives, therefore losing a chance at happiness. It can take you places like college, other countries, and to new experiences. You might even find friends and someone who cares about you, someone you wouldn't have met in any other circumstance. Money is important. Without money you can't afford things that would make you happy. I'm quite sure I've met more poor and sad people than rich and sad people.
ice.jeremy

Con

I will start my argument with a quote

--Quote--
"Money can buy a house but not home
Money can buy a bed but not sleep
Money can buy a book but not knowledge
Money can buy a clock but not time
Money can buy medicine but not health
Money can buy position but not respect
Money can buy blood but not life
Money can buy sex but not love
Money can buy insurance but not safety
Money can buy food but not appetite"

Reference for quote:
http://jacobkuttyta.hubpages.com...

--Argument--

This world has begun without the help of money; thousands of years ago where technology hasn't yet been discovered, where Twinkies(delicious!) has not yet been made, where Elvis Presley has not been born, and where nuclear power has not created.

People back then are so happy, not like today. People back then are so happy even without electricity, technology and music artist (though they are so lucky back then because they wouldn't hear the crap that artist make today). Even without money, happiness and love are two of the most wonderful things that a person can feel; If you help someone would it require for them to pay you? The answer is-- that the amount of happiness you feel when you help someone is not really measurable and cannot be express by words; plus the amount of love and happiness you feel when you are with the one you love is not also measurable and also can't be express by words but only actions, and cannot be bought by money but can only be gain by trust and affection.
IHaile

Pro

Just out of curiosity, how exactly do you know that people were happy without money? If anything, I'd imagine they wouldn't be. If there wasn't money, they'd have to trade things that they have, which would make their objects a currency. People have always wanted to trade one thing for another, and probably always will. Money can also give you time to spend with your loved ones. Why does everyone think that being rich makes you miserable? It doesn't matter if you're rich or poor, you can still have people you love with you. Being rich means more time to spend with your loved ones, and more ways to enjoy your time with them.
ice.jeremy

Con

I guess you didn't pay attention to my last argument, which makes you not focusing on our debate. All I have to say is that you hadn't been in that situation for you not to experience it, if you observe the people who are living in the poor society or maybe living in a poor country, you will notice that even though some of them have already give up in life, some of them are actually being optimist and living their life to the fullest with the help of the lord.

All you see is the outside of the box, but if you enter that box and open your heart, you will understand how hard it is to live in a place where food and water is limited; but still, even in that situation, they still have the reason to smile; isn't there any reason to smile? when you smile do you pay someone? smile is a powerful gesture, with just a smile you can make an angry person forget all his/her sorrow and problems, and the great news is that it is free.

Smile is one thing that money can't buy, just remember that don't always make an excuse for something that is worth to live for.
IHaile

Pro

And how exactly do you know what situation I'm in? You've never met me, you don't know who I am, and for all you know, I'm might be from out of the U.S., or 57 years old. And I'm not saying you can't be poor and optimistic. The Lord loves everyone in the world, regardless of their economic status.

I like making people smile. That's something I can concede to you. But money can make people smile. It provides opportunity and a chance to prosper. The thought of having your kids grow up with very few problems is enough to make a lot of people smile. And very few problems equals having money to keep those problems away.

Would you please stay with the subject? I don't appreciate personal comments, and this debate has nothing personally to do with me. I'd rather this stayed professional.
ice.jeremy

Con

Money doesn"t make you happy

After a surprisingly low point, more money doesn"t make you happier. Rich people get depressed, just like the middle classes. True, there"s no evidence that money actually makes you unhappy (although one rich man is giving it all away) but it could distract you from fixing your real problems.

The end of your goals and ambitions

You see this with children born into money, as well as people who built a company up for several decades and sold too late to start another. When you have the money, what next? The trick seems to be to find a substitute to your old goal of achieving financial security. That"s why you can"t walk far in Africa without tripping over a philanthropist.

Being judged unfairly

People are very critical of the wealthy, especially here in the UK. In the US entrepreneurs are celebrated, but newly rich Brits will find many people waiting for them to fall. I've seen it in work " a self-made man or woman leaves the room, and someone says "well, he was lucky" or "he"s out of ideas" or even "what an a**hole". Not nice, but it happens.

Someone is richer than you

Rich people are human, too. Your yacht isn't as big as the one next door, or you had to buy your furniture, unlike your neighbors who had theirs passed down from the 17th Century. Nobody is the richest person in the world on every measure " how many billions would Buffet give to be young again?

Guilt

Money can"t buy the love of your friends and family. "Don"t feel bad about being rich," they say. But do you believe them? One has a broken boiler, another has a child with special needs, and then there are distant relatives who can"t afford nursing care. Do you help them all? Can you? Where do you draw the line?

Being rich is a big deal

Buy a country house and you need staff. Invest your millions and you need accountants. They move your money offshore, and now you don"t understand the taxes. You've no time to learn, because you've three different architects coming over to quote on your summer home. You think you"d be different? So do I. Didn't they?

Scams and fraudsters

One reason you"ll need to all those professionals is because you"ll need help warding off the crooks attracted to your wealth. Nobody wanted to pretend to be you when you owed the bank money, but now you've millions parked away it"s a different story. Let"s hope your financial advisers aren't swindlers, too.

I love you (and your money)

The big one. Does she really find you fascinating, or just your bank balance? Is he really won over by your beauty, wit, or experience, or does he just hope to bleed you dry while banging the French au pair?

Reference:
http://monevator.com...
IHaile

Pro

I've never claimed that rich people don't get depressed, just like the middle classes. And like you mentioned, there's no evidence that money actually makes you unhappy. And if anything, it can give you more ways to fix your problems.

People with money, if anything, should have some more ambition. Having money gives you more opportunities, and gives your children opportunities. A father or mother who has built up money for their children should be wise with that money.

People are very critical, period. It doesn't matter if you're rich or poor, people are going to find a way to judge you. I wouldn't know much of what it's like for rich people in the UK, mainly because I'm not rich, or been to the UK. Some people will find something negative or degrading to say about you anyways. Not nice, but it happens.

That, once again, is a general thing. There will always be someone smarter, more athletic, or more artistic than you. It's something you'll have to deal with. And yes, I am aware that rich people are human.

Money can"t buy the love of your friends and family. I'm aware of that. But you should probably already have that. Your family is the one thing you should always be able to count on. And if they have those kinds of problems, yes, you should help them. But there should be a line. There are countless stories of people who drain their parents and relatives of money, instead of finding their own jobs. Instead of pulling out the checkbook every time someone needs something, find ways to help them make money of their own. Call in some favors with people you know need employees. If their child needs help, find a way to split the costs, and make the therapist or counselor affordable. If they're elderly, that's something that shouldn't matter. You should take care of them.

Who's to say you need to buy all of those houses? If there is one thing all people need, it's an anchor. Someone who will bring them back to earth every time they start thinking of buying an island, or taking on another project when they've got three already.

There are all types of cons. There are those who trick you into giving your information over the Internet, and the ones who trick elderly out of their retirement. Everyone should beware of scams and frauds, not just rich people.

That's what everyone is worried about. Does he care for me, or does he just want to get into my pants? Does she like being with me, or does she just like the attention? As disheartening as it is, people can never be sure of whether or not they're really loved by the people they're dating.

And last, but not least, could you use your own arguments. I'd appreciate it if you came up with your own opinions like I'm trying to do, instead of copying and pasting everything.
ice.jeremy

Con

Since this is the last round I'll just try and make it short. The reason why I'm copying and pasting, is that to support my arguments and also my side. I will need all the sources I can get to win this debate; there are also the opinions of others that need to be heard regarding this topic.

I am not just copying and pasting, I am also giving credit to the site that I've just copied and pasted so that when people view our debate they will see that what I'm saying is true, and I just didn't make that up in my mind. It is not against the rules to get sources from websites that you think can help you support your arguments and side of which you are participating in.

Then again, I've learned so much in this debate I hope you can invite me to other debates. This has helped me so much in my English, Thanks again for a wonderful and exciting debate.
IHaile

Pro

Thank you for explaining your reasons. This has been a educational debate for me, and my first one. I'm afraid I don't know the rules that well yet. Thank you for debating with me, and I must concede this debate to you, because, honestly, I agree with you.

I certainly hope I can debate with you again. Thanks!
Vote Placed by Xerge 1 year ago
Xerge
ice.jeremyIHaileTied
Reasons for voting decision: Concession
Vote Placed by ConservativePolitico 1 year ago
ConservativePolitico
ice.jeremyIHaileTied
Reasons for voting decision: Clearly money cannot buy everything. Easy win for Con. Pro seemed lost and confused for most of the debate...