Shmily93
CodyGustafson

Money can buy happiness. Yes or not?

CodyGustafson

Shmily93

Con

Do you believe that money can buy happiness? I believe that money can not buy happiness but it always makes conditions to be happy...without love and money of my parents I would be die when I was 14 because I needed in difficult operation and money made a lot to safe my life...
CodyGustafson

Pro

I am an advocate for money being able to buy happiness. According to the Princeton University dictionary as: "state of well-being characterized by emotions ranging from contentment to intense joy". Therefore, we need to be debating if money can buy happiness for a indefinite amount of time. The state of how long is open to personal interpretation, but not forever. The money that you had to pay for the operation made you happy for a short amount of time, therefore money did buy happiness. In fact, according to a study done by Harvard, the people living in poverty are 98% more prone to be depressed, and not experience happiness, where as the more wealthy persons are 77% more likely to be happy. Therefore, implying that money can, in fact, buy happiness. If you have waited your whole life to try to buy something, and you get the money to be able to buy it, you will be happy at least for a little bit, therefore, money can in fact buy happiness. "If money doesn't make you happy, then you probably aren't spending it right."
That's the excellent and descriptive title of a paper published last year in the Journal of Consumer Psychology by the University of British Columbia's Elizabeth W. Dunn, Harvard's Daniel T. Gilbert, and UVA's Timothy D. Wilson.
The paper, which summarizes decades of study on the subject, notes that "money allows people to do what they please, to live longer and healthier lives, to buffer themselves against worry and harm, to have leisure time to spend with friends and family, and to control the nature of their daily activities -- all of which are sources of happiness."
Unfortunately, money is "an opportunity that people routinely squander because the things they think will make them happy often don't."

Princeton University Dictionary
Forbes.com
CNN.Com
Harvard.EDU
Shmily93

Con

Shmily93 forfeited this round.
CodyGustafson

Pro

Extend all my arguments from the last round, they went untouched. Also, he forfeited and therefore I win and should receive all points for this debate. Thank you for your time.
Shmily93

Con

Shmily93 forfeited this round.
CodyGustafson

Pro

He forfeits, I win.
Vote Placed by KingDebater 3 years ago
KingDebater
Shmily93CodyGustafsonTied
Reasons for voting decision: Conduct to Con because of Pro's forfeit. Arguments to Con because a lot of his arguments remained untouched, and sources to Con because he actually used some sources.