Warhawk423
Double_R

Money "does" buy happiness.

Reasons for your voting decision - Required
Started: 9/15/2011 Category: Economics

Warhawk423

Pro

I believe that money does buy happiness, because without money in this economy and society we live in, it is a necessary need for happiness and survival.

"Psychologists have spent decades studying the relation between wealth and happiness," writes Harvard University psychologist Daniel Gilbert in his best-selling "Stumbling on Happiness," "and they have generally concluded that wealth increases human happiness when it lifts people out of poverty and into the middle class or upper class.

My opponent (whoever you are) cannot say that if I hand him 2,000, he won't be "happy." because I'm sure that he has wants just like every other human does, and what do you need to receive your wants...currency.

Money is not every thing but it makes you everything, and you can observe this difference in real life. A rich man has a strength in his life that you could not see in a middle class or poor man, and that strength comes the wealth that provides him with his uzurious house and various amounts of wants like cars, TVs, clothes, and cool electronic gadgets.

Furthermore, money can theorectically buy you happiness. I await for an opponent, and thank you for accepting whoever accepts.
Double_R

Con

Thanks to my opponent for instigating this challenge.

The resolution states that money “does” buy happiness. If this is true then anyone who has money can exchange it for some level of happiness, and presumably the more money one has the happier they will be. Pro cites a book which states that wealth increases human happiness when it lifts people out of poverty and into the middle class or upper class. I find it odd that it would only mention the effects of giving money to those in poverty, as opposed to giving money to those already in the upper class. I think the reason is obviously because giving money to those in the upper class will not have any affect on their level of happiness.

The major flaw with the belief that money buys happiness is that it fails to take into account our adaptive nature as human beings. We get happy when we receive money but once the fact that we have that money settles in, it is no longer satisfying to us. Happiness is not a one time emotional response, but an emotional state of mind. Anything that money can buy will quickly sink in as being normal and we go right back to the same emotional state we were in before.

As an example salary.com recently did a survey asking employees what they were most unhappy about and 57% answered that their number 1 complaint was “inadequate compensation”(1). Now this may seem like an indication that if they are paid more money they will be happier, but the issue with that assumption is that the employees being interviewed were coming from many different income ranges. This only shows that employees will generally always be unhappy with their salaries regardless of what they are getting paid because once people make a certain salary they will simply get used to it and want more.

Pro states that money “makes you everything” and supports this with his assessment that a rich man has a strength in his life that you don’t see in a middle class or poor man. I agree that rich men tend to carry themselves very differently but this has nothing to do with happiness, this simply a matter of the difference of social classes. Pro also notes that this wealth provides them with cars, TV’s, clothes, etc… This may sound very appealing but again has little to do with happiness. A new car for example might be wonderful at first but it will not be new for long. How many of us know someone who had a car they treated like gold for the first few weeks or months they had it and now they hardly care about it? This could be said for all material possessions such as games, clothes etc…

Achieving happiness is about many things in life. The relationships we have with family and friends plays a major role, the satisfaction we have with whatever it is we do for a living is another. More money will almost always make us happier but there is nothing money can do for us that we will just wind up getting used to and looking for more. To find happiness we need much more then money.

(1) http://www.theepochtimes.com...

Warhawk423

Pro

Pardon me for my lack of particapation but I don't have enough time to respond. So for this round I "pass"
Double_R

Con

Argument extended.
Warhawk423

Pro

Warhawk423 forfeited this round.
Double_R

Con

ZZZZZZZZZ
Posted by Maikuru 5 years ago
Maikuru
Interesting topic. Too bad about the outcome.
Posted by F-16_Fighting_Falcon 5 years ago
F-16_Fighting_Falcon
You actually said in the comments section: Sorry, i didn't mean to forfiet but there was a thunderstorm where i live and my internet was out.
F-16_Fighting_Falcon
Warhawk423, you promised here that you didn't mean to forfeit and that there was a thunderstorm where you live.
http://www.debate.org...
What happened now? Did you get hit with a meteorite?
Posted by Double_R 5 years ago
Double_R
Yea but I doubt there is much disagreement on the basic concept that happiness is not a one time emotional response, which is what my argument is based on. I consider this to be pretty obvious. If Pro disagrees then I will certainly defend this very basic interpretation.
Posted by innomen 5 years ago
innomen
Agreeing on a definition on happiness on a debate like this would seem to be pretty important.
Posted by Double_R 5 years ago
Double_R
There is much discussion on what differentiates being happy from happiness. Dictionary definitions don't seem to reflect this. I wrote my R1 after work at 4am because there was no way I was waking up early to write an argument before time expired. Sorry, but I was too tired to go into all of that.
Posted by innomen 5 years ago
innomen
I also would have really liked to have seen a defintion of happiness.
Posted by innomen 5 years ago
innomen
I would have loved to have taken this debate.
Posted by Double_R 5 years ago
Double_R
So sorry for my tardiness, I've been very busy. I'll get it in though.
Posted by Warhawk423 5 years ago
Warhawk423
hahahaha right on Falcon.
Vote Placed by harrytruman 6 months ago
harrytruman
Warhawk423Double_RTied
Reasons for voting decision: Forfeiture
Vote Placed by Wylted 2 years ago
Wylted
Warhawk423Double_RTied
Reasons for voting decision: Ff
Vote Placed by Zarroette 2 years ago
Zarroette
Warhawk423Double_RTied
Reasons for voting decision: ff
Vote Placed by Maikuru 5 years ago
Maikuru
Warhawk423Double_RTied
Reasons for voting decision: Multiple forfeits demand a full vote in favor of Con.
Vote Placed by Raisor 5 years ago
Raisor
Warhawk423Double_RTied
Reasons for voting decision: forfeit
Vote Placed by F-16_Fighting_Falcon 5 years ago
F-16_Fighting_Falcon
Warhawk423Double_RTied
Reasons for voting decision: Forfeit. Really wish I could have read a legitimate argument here as I have to admit, I was rooting for warhawk to make good on his resolution.