zezima
Bannanawamajama

Moral absolutes exist

Bannanawamajama

zezima

Pro

Absolute truth exist. Con may start right away or use first round for acceptance.
Bannanawamajama

Con

I accept this debate. I argue the position that moral absolutes do not exist.

My position is that standards of morality have no strict basis beyond public opinion and commonly held belief, which changes between different times and cultures. As such, morality can and does change, with certain acts being considered immoral at one point and moral at another based on the political and social atmosphere of the time. If an act's morality is subject to change, it is not absolute.

I wish my opponent luck and look forward to a good debate.
zezima

Pro

zezima forfeited this round.
Bannanawamajama

Con

I argue that Morals are not objective. From a secular perspective, there are multiple vantage points from which to base morality with different implications. For example, on one hand, one could argue that killing is wrong. Perhaps one of the most universally accepted morals. What is the basis for this? It seems intuitive, but at best the most reasonable explanation is that you wouldn't want that to happen to you. This, while sensible, is not a perfect basis for morality since your tastes are subjective and what you would like is not necessarily the same as another person.

From a different perspective, consider this: killing a man is NOT wrong because killing him proves you the better man or woman. In eliminating him you have raised the average competency of the human race. From a utilitarian perspective, improving humanity as a whole by the minimal sacrifice of one person could be considered ethical. We do so with animal populations all the time to improve the group as a whole. While this is a difficult morality to subscribe to, there isn't an obvious refutation if you believe on utilitarianism.

If absolute morality is supposed to be based on religious principles, there is still subjectivity involved. The Bible or example contains many forbidden acts which we currently engage in. It is considered acceptable in the Bible to own slaves, however today that is immoral. Because religious texts are not literal, and require human interpretation, they do not give absolute rules. Furthermore, in religions such as Christianity, God redefines his covenant with man and eliminates certain laws from earlier in the Bible. Thus even God given absolute laws are subject to change.
zezima

Pro

zezima forfeited this round.
Bannanawamajama

Con

So...my opponent seems to not exist anymore...

So I guess I win?
zezima

Pro

zezima forfeited this round.
Bannanawamajama

Con

Stiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiilllllll here
zezima

Pro

zezima forfeited this round.
Bannanawamajama

Con

IM STILL HERE SON.

ALL THEM MOTHA TRUCKAS TRYNA HOLD ME BACK.

BUT I IS A FIGHTA, I IS A SURVIVA.

I STOOD UP TO THAT WACK ATTACK.

Anyway, thats my closing statement.
Posted by Le.Doctor 3 years ago
Le.Doctor
Good arguement I did enjoy the debate although it was a bit one sided lol
Posted by Bannanawamajama 3 years ago
Bannanawamajama
Oh. Well then.
Posted by Fox-McCloud 3 years ago
Fox-McCloud
Pro closed his account.
Posted by Seeginomikata 3 years ago
Seeginomikata
Truth has nothing to do with morality. Unless Pro changes his tune dramatically, I cannot possibly see con losing this one.
Posted by Bannanawamajama 3 years ago
Bannanawamajama
Well the debate is on absolute morality, which is pretty easily defined
Posted by ApollosMuse 3 years ago
ApollosMuse
Without proper definitions of absolute, truth, and what is meant by absolute truth, this debate is pointless. Also, an example of an absolute truth would be helpful.
Posted by saxman 3 years ago
saxman
There are both moral absolutes and moral trends. I would like to see who wins this one.
Posted by Jifpop09 3 years ago
Jifpop09
Can you start a new kkk debate? I would like to debate you.
Vote Placed by Krazzy_Player 3 years ago
Krazzy_Player
zezimaBannanawamajamaTied