Moral codes from God are subjective.

Voting Style: Open Point System: Select Winner

I will be arguing the Pro position in this debate. Any moral code claimed to be given from God is entirely subjective, prone to be erroneous and, therefore, should be considered unreliable as a moral standard.

Round 1 - Acceptance.
Rounds 2 and 3 - Arguments and rebuttals.
Round 4 - Final rebuttal/closing argument.

Best of Luck!

This is a challenge for me. Thanks!

Thank you for accepting. May the most compelling argument win.

I left the resolution more vague than I should have and apologize for that. Maybe it will make for a more interesting debate?

I will make arguments from two different interpretations of the resolution to "cover my bases," so to speak.

First the obvious argument:
1. Until a single God is shown to be objectively existent, all moral codes offered as "from God" or "being of God" are offered by humans and are by definition, subjective.

Going a step further:
2. Assuming God actually does exist, any objective moral code would be moral, non-reliant upon God's existence and God simply reveals this code to us to follow. But then, that wouldn't be considered "from" God but "through" God as a moral messenger of sorts. Accounts of God's given moral codes to each respective belief system (as each belief system is equally likely to be true) are sometimes so varied and often contradictory that it leaves little hope of ever living "Real God's" moral code, since such a determination must also be done subjectively.

Counter argument:

If the behavior of a large sector of the populace is regulated by the behavior of the Son Of Man then moral codes are not subjective in that instance.

I would perhaps agree with you if the entirety of Christianity had a definitive consensus on what Christ's moral code was. However, we see an estimated 45,000 Christian denominations worldwide. ( This to me screams subjectivity.

This problem, I think, stems from my original argument that until a God can be shown to objectively exist, any moral code attributed to those Gods are subjective by default.

Adding to the objectivity issue is the question, "How does one determine which translation of the Bible is correct in order to know the true moral code?"

On the face of things corruption is an everpresent force of change in our world that reduces cars to rust and people to husks of what they once were, but the "idea" remains, cars are cars, people are people and Christianity remains Christianity even when corroption is on the face of it.

The true magic of Christianity is below the surface where greater forces rule and determine the conduct of the sector in question.

Invoking magic (undefined) and greater powers (undefined) to lend credence to an argument for objectivity is counter-intuitive.

As I have successfully countered both of Con's arguments so far, I anxiously await the closing statement. Thank you for the debate.

How about leaving the judging to the judges.
Posted by JoaquinBarzi 6 months ago
It depends.

As you frame the argument, you are granting the existence of god for the sake of debating. "IF there is a god, then moral codes from him are subjective.
If you are talking of the philosophical god, the most common and used definitions, both in philosophy and regular life, make him the universal moral standard, the objective moral parameter.
Now, if you are talking of any particular God, such as the abrahamic god, or the roman/greek gods, then yes, his moral code will probably be subjective, since it will be open to interpretation and susceptible to internal incoherence, rendering it wrong at face value..

I hope I was clear enough.
Best of lucks. JBL.
Posted by jglass841 6 months ago
I'm for pro, but good luck to both sides!
Posted by godtraitor 6 months ago
Accept the challenge?
Posted by godtraitor 6 months ago
God is irrelevant.
Posted by dsjpk5 6 months ago
Of course, one could make the same claim of any moral standard. They're all subjective if there's no God.
Posted by godtraitor 6 months ago
Thanks for the comment and interest. Stick around for the vote. It's like pulling teeth trying to get voters.
Posted by TheDom275 6 months ago
I'll be interested to see how this debate progresses. I'm already on pro's side though.