Morality doesn't come from a god

I am an atheist who feels morality doesn't come from a god.

I look forward to hearing your argument, but I have one question: do you believe that an objective morality exists (even if it is independent of God)?

I welcome my opponent to debating morality.
I would argue theirs no objective morality in practical terms. I do believe in genetically predisposed traits passed on by our ancestors in which we instinctively believe to be morally correct. People have very different morals. I like comparing western civilization to eastern civilization. I believe morality is a by-product of culture and specific gains. Morality comes from where someone's socialized, the culture they grow up in and their experiences. I would even argue theirs an evolutionary process with morality. Overall, I would argue the best morality is a secular morality. Someone (even if their Christian) can have a secular morality.

Mestari forfeited this round.

espnfan54 forfeited this round.

Closed account is closed. :/
Posted by PowerPikachu21 1 year ago
Pro made an argument, even though his account is closed. He still kinda wins, except he can't retrieve the victory.
Posted by dawndawndawndawn 2 years ago
Only the illiterate and uninformed are unaware of the copious studies on morality.

When you read ONE and only ONE book that was written by drunk men who thought that earth is flat, it's easy to be LOADED with mistakes.

See also, "Radiolab; "Morality""
Posted by Sagey 2 years ago
Morality exists, but it comes from Evolution, and many creatures have also evolved Morality to varying degrees and their Morality is relative to their mode of living, as is ours.
We socialized and worked together to survive for millions of years, thus our morality mode is social morality, creatures that live mostly individually have a different modality and thus Morality.

So Evolution is the source of all morality on the planet and a different morality for every type of living has evolved. Humans live by pairing and group cohesion, thus our morality reflects this.

Some Theists wrongly believe that God gave the world Objective Morality, but this Irrational, because Objective means that its existence is independent of Consciousness, if a consciousness created anything then that anything is Subjective.
So if a Conscious Deity such as a God created Morality, then that morality is Subjective as it was created from Consciousness, and not independent of Consciousness as it would need to be in order to be Objective.
So a god cannot create Objective Morality, as it is Absurdly Irrational.
Posted by Mestari 4 years ago
The debate is a question of origin, not of existence.
Posted by Maikuru 4 years ago
That would be a huge mistake lol.
Posted by Mestari 4 years ago
If we are arguing whether or not morality comes from God, then for the purpose of this debate would you accept the premise that God exists?
Posted by Chamaeleon 4 years ago
I am an atheist who feels that morality doesn't exist. Do you care if I argue that point?
Vote Placed by 000ike 4 years ago
Reasons for voting decision: espnfan closed his account