Calibur
mostlogical

Morality is Subjective

mostlogical

Calibur

Pro

The opponent will be arguing that morality is objective.

Morality-
principles concerning the distinction between right and wrong or good and bad behavior. (merriam-webster)

Subjective Morality
- morality is defined by the society you live in; it's based on what the populace believes to be "moral" and "immoral."

Objective Morality- morality is not based on the society's opinion, but that morality is factually true, and should not change.

Round 1- Opening
Round 2/3/4- Arguments
Round 5- Conclusion.
mostlogical

Con

I would like to thank my opponent for creating this debate

My position: I believe that what is morally right or wrong is independent of other people's opinion (and my own). I do not believe that morality is based on personal opinion because an action is either wrong, or is right. This is not simply my opinion, but a fact and one I hope to show.

I await your arguments, good luck Pro
Calibur

Pro

Calibur forfeited this round.
mostlogical

Con

an action can be objectively right or objectively wrong e.g. punishing someone who has done nothing wrong is objectively wrong. Killing someone or an animal solely to gain comfort is also objectively wrong. People are free to have their own beliefs but they do not change the fact that good and evil exist.
Calibur

Pro

Calibur forfeited this round.
mostlogical

Con

my point stands
Calibur

Pro

I am so sorry for forfeiting the past 2 rounds.

Anyways, Con, why have you accepted the debate if you do not stand for objective morality?

I'd also like to point out some of the contradictions he/she made:

In one point, Con stated that what is morally correct is based on a single person's opinion. (Not objective morality)

In the next point, Con said that some things are objectively wrong, and that good and evil exist.

Basically, he/she had contracticted their own points.

Contention 1:

Looking back at what people did in ancient days, such as ancient Egypt, Greece, India, etc., almost everybody believes that the reasons people were killed was strongly unjustified.
People today believe that nobody should be killed based on their opinions, thoughts, or minor crimes.
However, what is considered to be right and wrong has obviously changed over the many years, so how could people still argue that there is a moral right and wrong, considering that many people who favor objective morality subscribe to religious texts that advocate what us humans would never like to live in today.

mostlogical

Con

I have clearly shown examples where a set of moral judgements is not just true according to a person's subjective opinion, but factually true.

You misunderstand. What is morally correct is not based on a single person's opinion, but facts. A single person's opinion can be based on what is objectively right or wrong, and can also be based on purely selfish reasons too. Feelings are not the only guide to doing what it is correct, it is pretty obvious that if you do something selfish it is wrong, and if you do something that is selfish and also selfless then it is right.

The reason some people think things like murder is okay is because they don't look through the eyes of the victim, they are selfish. Though people are not evil they are capable of doing evil things.

I'm not sure where I have contradicted myself or even know why this is important, many things in life are contradictory, especially when vague statements are used.

P.S. my profile will tell you that I am a male (man)
Calibur

Pro

Calibur forfeited this round.
mostlogical

Con

The evidence my opponent has used does not in any way show why morality is subjective, people have different opinions but this does not prove that morality is subjective because objective morality is not just true according to subjective opinions.

I have tried to explain why morality is objective, please vote Con
Posted by IllogicalThinker 1 year ago
IllogicalThinker
You know I played this logic game where you had to argue against this same point.
Posted by Mathgeekjoe 1 year ago
Mathgeekjoe
Is con allowed to argue that both forms of morality exist?
Posted by Reeseroni 1 year ago
Reeseroni
Here's a joke setup for you.

1. Morality is found in people like your Mum.
2. Your Mum was subjective (last night)
3. (Therefore) Morality is subjective

(;
Vote Placed by Chaosism 1 year ago
Chaosism
CaliburmostlogicalTied
Reasons for voting decision: Pro forfeited the majority of the debate. Con provided arguments to negate the resolution which were misinterpreted by Pro. Pro, who hold the BoP, did not provide an arguments that affirm the resolution.
Vote Placed by johnlubba 1 year ago
johnlubba
CaliburmostlogicalTied
Reasons for voting decision: Pro never fulfilled his BoP and forfeited and dropped arguments.
Vote Placed by dsjpk5 1 year ago
dsjpk5
CaliburmostlogicalTied
Reasons for voting decision: Ff