andrew.denslow
AnimeFreak

More Gun Control is needed in the United States.

andrew.denslow

andrew.denslow

Con

First Round is acceptance. The 2nd and 3rd round are arguments.
AnimeFreak

Pro

To make it clear I believe I am going to debating about why more gun control in the US is needed; meaning more stricter rules.

And with that I pass it on to my opponent for the 2nd round.

I wish you the best of luck.
andrew.denslow

Con

Guns. To some people it's a tool that is used to defend themselves and their family. To others it's a collectors piece that is very valuable. And to some it's something that causes death and misery. The rights that America is built around includes "A well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms, shall not be infringed." Now i intend to show that putting more restrictions on firearms is not only pointless but also that it violates the rights that every american has.

This makes a lot of sense if you think about it. Criminals are less likely to attack someone if they believe that they are armed. Put yourself in the criminals shoes for a second if you are in a state like Alaska, where citizens are allowed to carry a weapon without a permit or license, you would probably be a little hesitant to rob or mug a person because chances are that the person is carrying a weapon. Weapons make a great deterrent 9 times out of 10 if you just show someone that you have a firearm that they are going to stop what they are doing and leave. There is always that one that will try and continue what they are doing whether that be robbing a store or mugging you on the street if you have the firearm on you then you have a way to defend yourself and that is what firearms are for. Simply put a firearm is a tool that is deadly and should be used only if you are in a situation where your life or another life is in danger.
AnimeFreak

Pro

AnimeFreak forfeited this round.
andrew.denslow

Con

So to continue guns are a tool, a item that makes people feel safer while walking at night or in dangerous areas. Guns are a strong foundation for which this country was built around. Now in order to keep the debate going i am just going to counter some of the arguments my opponent could of used.

First of all according to a study by statistician named William Sturdevant the general public is 5.7 times more likely to get arrested for violent offenses and 13.5 times more likely to get arrested for non-violent offenses then concealed carry weapon permit holders. Pretty much this confirms that a majority of gun owners are responsible law abiding citizens who just wish to protect themselves and their family.

Source: http://concealedguns.procon.org...

Secondly the school shootings like Columbine and Virginia Tech could have been aided if just one person had a concealed weapon. I'm not sure if you noticed this but most of these shooting sprees all take place in gun free zones. This to me means that criminals are going to go where they are less likely to come across someone with a gun such as schools, movie theaters, restaurants, and colleges.

Lastly it's impossible to completely get rid of crime. It's always going to be apart of this world. Putting heavy restrictions on guns or even banning them all together will not get rid of crime but it will make sure that the general public will not be able to defend themselves which in turn makes the criminals job a lot easier. Look at cities where you can't have a concealed weapon like Chicago, Illinois, that city has one of the worst crime rates in the country and yet you cannot "legally" carry a concealed weapon. What does that tell you?
AnimeFreak

Pro

Ok. I apologize for missing last round, but I will try to make up for it now.

First, my opponent kept on stating that, if civilians have guns the criminal is less likely to do anything, but if you think about it, if the civilians have guns then that means the criminal almost certainly has one too. Having a gun will make the criminal feel more powerful, it will make him/her feel safer when doing whatever he/she is doing, resulting in him/her actually doing it.

I don’t know if my opponent considered this or not, but does everybody really know how to use a gun, would they even be able to use it if they could. Taking a life isn’t as easy as people may think of it. Even if it’s to protect someone dear to you many people wouldn’t. Now most people would say “just shoot them in the leg” but if you’re in a situation in which you had to pull out a weapon, are you really thinking, most likely not. Also would someone really shoot somebody, if that person robbed or mugged them; most likely not.

“9 times out of 10 if you just show someone that you have a firearm that they are going to stop what they are doing and leave.

Let’s consider murder for now. If someone has already decided that they are going to take someone’s life, and then that person shows them a gun, the murderer (or soon to be murderer) will not leave just because that person showed some courage and decided to fight back. The murderer would take out his own gun, (which he knows how to use, better than most people), and shoot him, before the other guy even thinks of shooting --- of course there could be exceptions.

“Simply put a firearm is a tool that is deadly and should be used only if you are in a situation where your life or another life is in danger.”

There is no better way to phrase this. A firearm is a tool that is deadly and should be used only if you are in a situation where your life or another life is in danger. Just because it should be used for such a situation, doesn`t mean it will be. If the push comes to shove people will start using guns; in many ways, some very bad ways. Imagine yourself in this situation; you`re a person with anger issues, you`re in a dark alley way, and some guys just got on your bad side (they could`ve done something to hurt you, teased you, made fun of your family---nothing to serious). You have a gun. What would you do? Now I’m not asking what you, yourself would do, but what would this person do. It’s pretty obvious---unless of course they don’t have the will to kill.

“This to me means that criminals are going to go where they are less likely to come across someone with a gun such as schools, movie theaters, restaurants, and colleges.”

With this is my opponent implying that, guns should be allowed in schools, Movie Theaters, restaurants and colleges? Let me tell you why that’s just not right. First of all, if someone in a school had a gun I’m pretty sure it would be a teacher, or someone that’s part of school staff. Do you know what kind of impact that would put on the children, they would be terrified, scared out of their minds. It could affect their academic achievements by a whole lot. Teachers might start using guns for discipline, which would be CRAZY; the kids will be traumatized for life, having to face death. Guns in schools are the most absurd idea ever.

Now in colleges, students themselves will start having guns, what if they pull one out during a brawl. People have issues, I am telling you this from experience, kids bring knives to school hidden in their underwear and then when they want something, they put the knife next to your neck.

“Lastly it's impossible to completely get rid of crime. It's always going to be apart of this world. Putting heavy restrictions on guns or even banning them all together will not get rid of crime but it will make sure that the general public will not be able to defend themselves which in turn makes the criminals job a lot easier.”

It’s true that crime will always be there and getting rid of guns will not get rid crime, but it will lessen crime. Giving a criminal the right to hold a gun is what makes his/her job easier. Just because people have guns doesn’t mean that criminals have to fear them, they are still in more power. They probably have experience, they probably have the will to shoot…--- I think I’ve explained this already.

“Look at cities where you can't have a concealed weapon like Chicago, Illinois, that city has one of the worst crime rates in the country and yet you cannot "legally" carry a concealed weapon”

You didn’t really provide any source for this, so I searched it up myself, and found that Chicago is not within the top 10, so I don’t know what my opponent was talking about. Also if you start comparing Countries instead of Cities, you’ll see that Canada, in which you are not allowed to legally hit somebody rather hold a gun, the crime rate is less than 3 time that of the US. http://web4.uwindsor.ca...

I don’t feel the need to say anymore, since I have already stated all my points, while opposing my opponent’s points.

Again I apologize for missing last round; perhaps if I didn’t this could have been a much more wonderful debate. Unfortunately it wasn’t since my opponent didn’t get a chance to oppose to my side. Again I am so sorry.

Posted by cstidham 4 years ago
cstidham
CON! Stop posting comments to make arguments. That is what the debating rounds are for.
Posted by andrew.denslow 4 years ago
andrew.denslow
http://www.neighborhoodscout.com... ... i don't know what your sources are but this proves chicago has one of the worst crime rates in the united states . Also most of everything you said is all based on your opinion not fact. You should feel lucky that i didn't get to respond because i could very easily tore your argument to pieces.
Vote Placed by cstidham 4 years ago
cstidham
andrew.denslowAnimeFreakTied
Reasons for voting decision: Pro has no idea what he is talking about. Kids would be traumatized for life. Teachers would use guns a discipline. HA