debate250
Bexultan

More Middle Schools should have debate clubs

debate250

debate250

Pro

More Middle Schools should have debate clubs. Debate is great and getting kids to start debating before high school would be fantastic. More Middle Schools should encourage debate and having more debates in Middle School would be fantastic preparation for debating in high school. It doesn't even have to be formal debate; instead it could be a discussion club where they discuss certain issues. Debate club would really help students in Middle School have better logical thinking skills, and it would probably help them in other subjects. A possible objection is that these students wouldn't be able to do the debate or take it seriously. However, this is not the case. As long as you found Middle School students who were interested and passionate there would be no problem. They may not be the best debaters at the beginning however that's the point of the debate club; it will help them improve their skills, and then they will be ready for High School debate teams. Another possible objection is that Middle School students wouldn't be interested. However, this could be resolved by having great topics that Middle School students could get interested in. If there was a fantastic topic, most Middle School students probably would be interested and may even continue the topic at home after the club is over. Overall Middle School debate clubs would be extremely beneficial to all Middle Schools that don't currently have them.
Bexultan

Con

I am not sure that today middle schools need debate clubs. What is your point, I cannot understand? What will be benefit for children? In contrast, I think without debate clubs pupils can recognize a real world. What they should do? What is right? What is wrong? Because you know that in the middle schools they should learn only benefit information for their future. About debate, they will think in the future. For example, all people know in order to have debate with somebody, you should know a lot of information about that thing, but at that age they cannot find out adequate information for them. From my point of view debate clubs should be available in the high schools.
debate250

Pro

My opponent has some major flaws in their argument. They asked about the benefit for children. The benefit is a fun club which can help them academically. Debate clubs help children engage in interesting discussions that they can't stop talking about. It is also a fun and exciting experience. Overall there are many benefits such as the ones I just pointed out.
As to the real world argument, I believe by Middle School they should be more questioning. I think at that age they're ready to begin transitioning from the definite right and wrong, which they learnt in Elementary School to beginning to question what really is right and wrong. I don't think it would send mixed messages at all and if anything Middle School Debate Clubs would help students in Middle School learn more about the real world. They might have a very strong opinion one way, but by the end of the debate, they may think something different. Through this Middle School students can actually understand the real world more rather than less, and it helps them see how there are two sides to everything. Overall, I think Middle School students can receive have real world benefit out of debate clubs.
Finally, as to lack of information, firstly I think Middle School students probably already know a lot more information than stated in my opponent's argument. Many Middle School students watch the news and know about current affairs both in their own country and abroad. I think a lot of Middle School Students have enough information to debate with. For those that don't either the teacher supervising can do a five minute objective lecture at the beginning to give them some helpful information. This would work if it was informal/discussion debate. If it was a formal debate club, then to write the speeches Middle School students would be forced to research some examples. Either way the students would have a sufficient amount of information to have a good debate.
Overall I believe that there should be Middle School Debate Clubs. There were several problems with my opponent's argument. Middle School Debate Clubs would help prepare students for high school debate teams and help students academically and intellectually. Overall, more Middle Schools should have debate clubs as the advantages far outweigh any possible disadvantage.
Bexultan

Con

Anyway, I think that it is too early for them in order to participate on debate. For example, you are 20 years old man and in your debate statistics; it is your first time of debating. It indicates that you started to debate only on high age. Also, in this site we cannot find debaters from middle classes. Actually, they do not have experience and ability of debater, that is why debate in middle classes can cause a conflict between classmates. Also you know that at that age they do not know how to express opinions in a proper way, because it is important. Realistically, even one wrong expressing of opinion can hurt the opponents. Another point is debate can take a lot of time to research the topic of the debate. That is why it hinders pupils to study their own schools subjects properly. After the elementary schools, they should learn subjects by hard way, because middle classes are very significant period of school, to prepare to the next high classes. Also, I hope that you studied at middle school. And at that time, did you want to debate with someone, and waste you valuable time. I don`t think so, because at that age all we want to have entertainment and fun. Clearly, I want to write that in the future there is a time for them in order to debate, but at middle schools, it is too early.
debate250

Pro

As to my opponent's first issue, that it can cause conflicts between classmates this is false if a teacher is monitoring the debate. The teacher can keep any conflicts under control and prevent any possible problem from occurring. With teacher supervision that would eliminate any conflicts. Also, the reason I started this debate is because I would have liked to have had a Middle School Debate club when I was in Middle School. Overall, there is no reason why debating should cause any kind of conflict.
Secondly, teacher supervision can save someone expressing an opinion in an inappropriate way. In the first session of the Middle School Debate Club the teacher can go over how to express opinions in a good way. If anyone doesn't do this, the teacher can gently remind them. Through this the Middle School students can learn how to express opinions in an appropriate way which is an important skill for later in life. Again, with teacher supervision there should be no problems with expressing opinions in appropriate ways.
Thirdly, there are topics which are simply expressing opinion and only require opinion. For example this debate topic that we're debating now really doesn't require any research. If they did have to research, it would be beneficial to helping them in other classes when they have to do projects that require research. Researching a topic doesn't take that much time, and it would help the students a lot. Overall, research isn't a negative about Middle School Debate Clubs as it actually has benefits.
Fourthly, I would say that debating is fun. If we didn't consider debating fun, then why would we be having a debate now? Middle School students may not see that at the beginning, but after a few debates, they probably would be able to see that debating can be fun. At that time I would have loved to be debating with somebody, but there wasn't the opportunity at my school. Overall debating can be fun, and Middle School students would see that after starting debating.
Overall Middle School Debate Clubs would be entertaining and educational. It would help students develop many essential skills for their other classes and later in life. It would make students think about some really important issues and be exposed to both sides. This quote expresses the positives of debating. It shows that debating is important in thinking about problems, and that it is good for everyone to express their opinion. "It is better to debate a question without settling it than to settle a question without debating it" (Joseph Joubert). Overall, Middle School Debate Clubs would be extremely beneficial and should be started because of the many advantages.
Bexultan

Con

So, you mentioned that it is not have bad influences on children`s subject, but you know that in spite of the easy topics they should something know about theme. And in order to know what they should do? They should use their significant times, for researching, to know little bit about their topic. And it takes time. Also, you know that all of the subjects, clubs controlled by the government or school policy. And what do you think? That they do not know what will be beneficial for children. Mmm. People from government know a lot, and they can realize everything what they want, however they do not think that debate clubs are useful for pupils of middle schools. Overall, debate clubs are not working in the middle schools. So, you wrote that teachers can control, even they can control in the class, but did you take a view outside of class, as pupil you know that after conflict in the class, pupils immediately want to end that conflict outside of class. Also you mentioned that debating is fun, year…, I agree that some debates fun, especially our debate, but you know that there are other debates which have bad influences on the pupils` minds. Imagine, all debates fun, what is the issue? (if everything repeating). Debate should consist different issues and topics. And other types of topics will have some dangerous ends. That is why, I don`t think so that debating is always fun.
debate250

Pro

Firstly, researching doesn't take that much time. Maybe on some subjects research is necessary to get some background information. However, that will be good for them. To research a topic enough to have a good conversation would take around half an hour. This might be one whole club time. However, next club they can have the debate on the topic which they researched. Through alternating club times between debates and research they receive the optimum balance. That much research isn't a negative, and it will help children. There will still be enough time to have many debates over the year. Overall, even if research is necessary, it will be a positive rather than a negative.
As to the people from government not realizing, this can be changed. The government simply need to be presented with all of the benefits. School policies and clubs can change. What they are currently doing doesn't matter as that can be changed, and my side of the debate here is saying that they should change that. It is simply a process of getting them to see how it could positively influence children. Then, they can begin to start debate clubs which will make a very positive impact in children's lives. Overall, what they are currently doing doesn't matter as that can change.
Finally as to the conflicts and issues outside of class. The solution to this is to start it on lighter issues and build it up. I'd agree that debate clubs shouldn't start with a religious issue the first club meeting. Maybe they should start with should there be a school uniform or would it benefit students to start and finish school later. An issue such as one of those there can't be any severe conflicts over. They can work their way up to the bigger and more important issues like war, religion, and what is morally right and wrong. They should be encouraged to debate it outside of the debate club. There is no definite way of preventing a conflict, but that shouldn't stop the debate club from happening. We don't want to never cross the street because we might get hit by a car. There are no guarantees with anything, but with the car there are ways to limit it like looking before you cross the road. It is the same with debate. If they gradually work the students up and monitor it inside the classroom there are less likely to be these issues outside of the classroom. If any issues do arise, parents and teachers can deal with it. Through this happening the issues are less likely to happen again. Overall, possible issues shouldn't be a reason not to have a Middle School Debate club as they are unlikely to occur if the necessary steps are taken to try to prevent them.
Overall Middle School debate clubs should be started. They'd provide a great deal of benefit to the students both academically and morally. The club would also be fun and exciting for the students. Many of the disadvantages that my opponent pointed out have flaws. The debate club overall has few disadvantages and many advantages, and that is why more Middle Schools should have debate clubs.
Bexultan

Con

Ok, let`s speak about your point of view. You thought that debating is not taken profound researches. But did you think, about how pupil will debate if they don`t have adequate materials. Also, every topic, I think requires some researches. Overall, it takes time, for example, did you search something before debating with me? Also you mentioned that government should change their views about debate clubs. However there is no promotion. They can change, but they didn't do it, because they know it not have any benefits in the middle schools. That is why they gave possibilities to open debate clubs only in high schools. About in class and out of class debates, you know that it is impossible to control outside of class, even their parents. Because, parents not always with their children. And it is also one of the dangerous reasons. And even teachers gave some information about topics without researching, maybe they can give information about boring topics, and it will not pay attend pupils. Because, it is not their choice to debate in that topic, which is given by teacher.
debate250

Pro

Firstly, even if pupils did have to do a lot of research for some topics, that wouldn't be a bad thing. They're going to research both in their Middle School classes and also all throughout High School and College. This means that this research would help prepare the students for the future. No matter how much research is require it would still be very helpful overall to students. Even if they had to spend half of the club time researching, they'd still get a good amount of time to debate.
The fact that the government currently doesn't have any Middle School debate clubs should not start them from starting them. All people have to do is write letters to their local school districts expressing the benefits and making them see all of the benefits. Maybe the government just hasn't considered all of the benefits yet. As a community, people just have to express a want for the Middle School Debate Club. Then, it could happen, and people would see how worthwhile that decision was. Overall, the fact that the government doesn't currently have a Middle School Debate Club doesn't matter as the government can change their decisions once they've seen all of the good that could come out of a Middle School Debate Club.
Thirdly, the debates don't need to be controlled outside of class. If the debates are continued outside of class, that is a huge positive. That means that students are enjoying debating which is the purpose of the club. Even with the small risk that it may go over the top sometimes, that risk is worth it for all of the benefits. It is only a small disadvantage and the benefit that the students could gain far outweigh this small disadvantage. Also, students can report the issue to their parents or teachers if they wish and have the issue sorted out. However, if it's gentle teasing, the students may even enjoy it, and it may help them be more relaxed while debating and turn into a positive. Overall, the fact that debating can't be controlled out of class may even be a positive, and even if it does turn into a disadvantage, it is incredibly small for all of the many benefits.
Finally, students can vote on the topics or come up with the topics themselves. It may not work that way later in life, but in this debate club to maintain interest I think it would be okay to do that. That way students would receive topics that they would personally be interested in. If they voted on topics or took a survey beforehand then that would eliminate the chance of boredom. Overall, the students voting on the topics would resolve the issue that they may be bored.
Overall, a Middle School Debate Club would be a huge positive. It would help students academically and morally. There are a very limited number of issues and a huge amount of benefits. It would also improve students debating for High School Debate teams. Overall, more Middle School Debate Clubs must be started in order to improve the thinking and morals of Middle School Students and help them greatly.
Bexultan

Con

Bexultan forfeited this round.
Posted by groverrohan 6 years ago
groverrohan
Yeah, um, good luck, Bexultan, you'll really need it.
I was in middle school debate for a year and so far, that experience has really helped me in high school debate.
Posted by debate250 6 years ago
debate250
That is why I am trying to debate this argument as there are so many benefits. However, there is no such thing as perfection. There are always disadvantages to every activity. A better example of a major issue with a debate club which I hadn't previously thought of is religion. What if the debate club did a debate on religion then someone could potentially get very hurt and offended? Now again there are good arguments against that. However, there are some potential disadvantages which I think a skilled enough opponent could argue for. Overall despite the many advantages to a Middle School Debate Club, there are a few disadvantages that an opponent could argue for.
Posted by YYW 6 years ago
YYW
For there to be a reason that there shouldn't be more debate clubs/teams/whatever would require that debate clubs would yield some sort of negative impact that debate teams/clubs/ect. would have. No activity that encourages academic growth, fosters analytical and critical thinking skills, or teaches the benefit of competition/ self improvement has such an effect.
Posted by debate250 6 years ago
debate250
I wouldn't agree. I'm not saying that I'm wrong or contradicting to myself, but I believe that every topic in the world has some kind of valid argument against it. For this debate it may be hard to see the negatives of having more debate clubs, but there are some like how it may take too much time to have a good debate during the average school day. Now there are some good retaliations to that, but there are still arguments against having more debate clubs.
Posted by YYW 6 years ago
YYW
There can be no valid argument against this resolution.
Vote Placed by Sketchy 6 years ago
Sketchy
debate250BexultanTied
Reasons for voting decision: Con loses conduct because he forfeited the last round. I have to reread Con's argument several times for it to make sense...I think he should have spent some time proofreading it. Eventually, reading his arguments just gave me a headache, so arguments and grammar go to Pro.
Vote Placed by F-16_Fighting_Falcon 6 years ago
F-16_Fighting_Falcon
debate250BexultanTied
Reasons for voting decision: Forfeit