justthefacts
BosMan

More Persuasive Evidence for the Bible, not the Book of Mormon

justthefacts

Pro

I am a Christian ( orthodox, historical, mainstream ) looking to debate a Latter Day Saint ( sometimes called "Mormons" ). If you are not a Mormon, with knowledge of the Book of Mormon and LDS Church history, this is NOT a debate for you.

First round, acceptance and introduction. Second round, opening statement, and make the case for your claims. Third round, rebuttal. Fourth round, closing arguments.

You can appeal to whatever you feel will help your case, I stand on the Bible, Science, History, Logic, Fulfilled Prophecy and Geography.

Lets have a good debate, and please, lets be civil about it. Thank you.
BosMan

Con

I am a Mormon and I'm going to start off saying I feel both the Bible, and the Book of Mormon are true. Most people don't realize but the LDS church is Christian. We do believe the Christ the Lord died for us, suffered for our sins, and is very much real.
In the Bible it does say (Deuteronomy i think is where its located) that there will be no add-ons to the bible (I know the bible pretty well). The Book of Mormon is not an add to the Bible. The Book of Mormon is another testament of God the Father and his son Jesus Christ. There is no adding on, the Book of Mormon is there as proof that the Jesus is the Christ.

I look forward to the argument and hopefully I will be able to shed some light on this subject that is not well known to many. I know the Bible and I know the Book of Mormon.
justthefacts

Pro

I have a gas leak in my house and I am confined to staying in a hotel right now, and cannot really participate from my work computer. I will have to concede this debate, I am sorry. I have to do this for 2 debates that I was very much looking forward to. Good luck and God bless.
BosMan

Con

That's okay. If you wish, when you are able to return home we can start up the debate again. If not then God bless you too. You seem to be a good man and someone with an open mind. Good luck with your house.
justthefacts

Pro

Thank you and God bless you too. The leak was unfixable, so I am now in the proccess of moving. I will reply once you do again just to move us to the closing round, so we dont have to wait for it to time out. Thanks for understanding. New house for me, free debate win points for you, not too shabby either way, lol :)
BosMan

Con

BosMan forfeited this round.
justthefacts

Pro

He gave up! I WIN! Just kidden'.
BosMan

Con

BosMan forfeited this round.
Posted by justthefacts 3 years ago
justthefacts
@FluffyCactus
I am an EX-Mormon. I will start by saying that it is the work of God, not my own. However, beyond that, Christianity is reasonable to believe based on evidence. God wants us to have faith, but not blind faith. Mormonism for me was based on blind faith, I believed things that were not reasonable to believe. the ONLY way that I could figure that out was by hearing the truth. If debates like this do not happen, then how do we share the truth? I am sorry, I do not feel that this debate is silly. If one person out there who is looking for truth sees this debate and finds our God ( Jesus Christ, The Holy Spirit, and of course YHWH ) then it is for good.
I am unable to do this debate now, but will do it in the future. I hope to meet with this same opponent, and I hope he gets converted. However, I also learn when I debate. Just cause I am saved does not mean I know all things. I have learned things from other people when discussing worldviews that I think God wants me to know. Respectfully, this is not a silly debate.
Posted by FluffyCactus 3 years ago
FluffyCactus
I think this is a silly debate. Firstly, based on the Ecumenical councils, Mormonism can't be classically defined as Chrstian, they're theology is a form of Arianism, which was declared heresy in the first council. Of course, I don't think any Mormon would agree to that statement. Sure, as Con stated, Mormon's believe that Jesus Christ, son of God, died, yada yada... Christianity, of all kinds, however, affirms that Jesus Christ is God Incarnate. As defined in the first few ecumenical councils, Mormons cannot and do not affirm such a Christ. I believe a good question I'd like to ask a Mormon is this: how exactly does Jesus Christ forgive us our sins, if he is not God himself? That is to ask, why does his death on the cross and his resurrection do anything at all? how can it if he is less than God?
Posted by STAGIESTCOSINE 3 years ago
STAGIESTCOSINE
I'm not a morman, sorry. Good luck with your debate though. I'll be keeping an eye on it.

BTW, a Killer Whale wins!
Posted by justthefacts 3 years ago
justthefacts
I am sorry, I thought the title was clear. "More Persuasive Evidence for the Bible, not the Book of Mormon". By this I mean, I believe that the Bible is TRUE and the Book of Mormon is FALSE. The reason that I used the term "persuasive evidence" rather than TRUE and FALSE is because I am appealing to specific evidence ( History, Science, Logic, Geography, Fulfilled Prophecy ). I do not think that this debate can be "proven" in a mathematical sense, therefore I worded it in as persuasion by evidence instead. If you would like to accept, feel free to copy and paste this clarification in your acceptance round.
Also, I have no idea about which one would win, between a killer whale and a great white shark. I am ignorant to that, but I think it would be cool to find out. Do you know which one wins? Thanks.
Posted by STAGIESTCOSINE 3 years ago
STAGIESTCOSINE
I'm a morman who meets the criteria. However, in light of the fact you fail to state what you wish to debate, I'd like to discuss whether you think a Killer Whale would beat a Great White Shark in a fight.