adomman
Joshguy77

Mormonism (LDS) is most likely false

adomman

Pro

Hello my name is Andrew and I've been meeting with some Mormon missionaries as of late and have yet to be persuaded by their arguments (if even a single argument as of yet sadly).

I would love to give them the best shot possible and I have not been able to find good resources online supportive of their beliefs outside of their own (in my opinion biased) mormon sources.

My opponent should be able to show that

1)The LDS faith has more historical credibility than Christianity and that
2) the Bible and Mormon scriptures/doctrine do not contradict each other or teach contrary things (perhaps this could be a separate debate)
Joshguy77

Con

I myself belong to The church of Jesus Christ of latter day saints. I know that my religion is true.In the Doctrine and covenants it says that alcoholic drinks and smoking are harmful to the body.Decades later evidences shows that these things are harmful to the body.Do you think that this was a coincidence.No. Joseph Smith,the writer of the Doctrine and covenants had revelation from god saying to him that these things where so.Also there is Moroni's promise. He says that if you pray unto god, asking him if the things in the Book of Mormon are true,god will make know unto you the truth.This is said in the Book of Mormon, Moroni,chapter 10,verse 3-4
adomman

Pro

adomman forfeited this round.
Joshguy77

Con

Joshguy77 forfeited this round.
adomman

Pro

adomman forfeited this round.
Joshguy77

Con

Joshguy77 forfeited this round.
adomman

Pro

adomman forfeited this round.
Joshguy77

Con

Joshguy77 forfeited this round.
Posted by USPharaoh 2 years ago
USPharaoh
There is plenty of evidence that points to the LDS faith as being a sham....there are plenty that believe however that it is a real religion. I have family that are TBMs and know some very very good people that are LDS. I also know many that are LDS but not as True Believing and admit that there are some problems with their church. I now have discussed faith and God with many missionaries that were too ill prepared to discus their church and went away with deeper questions....only to come back with no answers.
Posted by LostintheEcho1498 2 years ago
LostintheEcho1498
@Blade-of-Truth "I thought they repealed polygamy and that a sect of Mormons split and headed south to continue the practice?"

This sounds like the fundamentalist church if I remember right.
Posted by Blade-of-Truth 2 years ago
Blade-of-Truth
@MLG_Pingu, I thought they repealed polygamy and that a sect of Mormons split and headed south to continue the practice?
Posted by A-True-Saint 2 years ago
A-True-Saint
Ha well thank you??
-I'm not sure if this was a question or exclamation.

Unfortunately I fear you are not giving Mormonism the best view and are instead using ignorant and easy arguments even the simplest Mormon would be able to dismiss.
-I do not give any religion the best view, so why would I give Moronism the best view.

However, I am curious as to your beliefs in that all religions are false and have their own god (a form of relativism I believe) but yet believe the Bible which contains within it statements such as
- I simply believe scripture. I don't believe in religion. They all have their own gods and go against what Scripture teaches. Each religion has their own Bible and that is their right. As for me, I stick to what I consider, the True Holy Word.
Posted by adomman 2 years ago
adomman
Well the overall argument is that Mormonism if most likely false. You may make whatever arguments you would like. I wanted to leave it open. But I guess I left it too open ha.
Perhaps I can from another debate with more arguments/topics to be debated?
Posted by LostintheEcho1498 2 years ago
LostintheEcho1498
I have to go with Philochristos. I am Mormon and considered this but I have no reason to argue against the historical credibility of either Mormonism or Christianity. I understand wanting to argue about the apostasy but that is only one thing. Simply not enough material to go by in order to really have a good debate.
Posted by adomman 2 years ago
adomman
Philochristos- that's a good point. But it should be up to them to convince every standard historical christian has had "apostasy" as they claim. Which is why Joseph Smith needed to found his own sect and "restore" the gospel. They are the ones saying that what they teach is true and should be included with the rest of the Bible as Holy scripture. So it should be evaluated as any claim that God has brought additional revelation.
any Joe smoe can't just claim to have revelation from God without establishing credibility
Posted by MLG_Pingu 2 years ago
MLG_Pingu
To Blade-of-Truth, we believe that you CAN have more than one wife, but you don't have to have multiple.
Posted by philochristos 2 years ago
philochristos
It's not likely you're going to find a Mormon who will defend the claim that "The LDS faith has more historical credibility than Christianity" since they believe the LDS faith IS Christianity.
Posted by Blade-of-Truth 2 years ago
Blade-of-Truth
To summarize:

1 - Lack of originality; Joseph Smith (founder) stole rituals from the Freemasons
2 - Lack of following Jesus' actions; turn away potential/past law-breakers unlike Jesus
3 - Lack of prophecies from "living prophets"; they've only repealed previous prophecies
4 - Racist priesthood practices; only changed due to pressure from surrounding society
5 - Extremely childish propaganda pieces; lack of ability to accept others' viewpoints
6 - Founder was into magic; used to stare at stones in hats to speak with or hear God