Mormonism is Christian

I negate. I will allow the Pro the chance to make the first argument's then I will offer my rebuttle and case in Round 2.

Although they are similar in many ways and both some kind of religion, mormanism is not Christianity. Christians beleive in God and I do not know much about mormanism (I am Christian) I beleive that Mormans do not beleive in God. To be a Christian, you must beleive in God.

Thank you for the debate!

For the first part of this round I will offer my brief rebuttal then I will put up my case for cross examination.

My Rebuttal: The resolution clearly states, "Mormonism is Christian." I negate the resolution, which means that I do not believe that Mormons are Christians. My opponent is suppose to affirm which means he/she believes that Mormons are Christians. However, in the first round they say that "Mormonism is not Christianity," therefore they agree with me and negate the resolution. Clearly they are confused on the grounds of what they believe.

Now I offer my case:

Contention 1:According to the fifteenth president of the Mormon Church, Gordon B. Hinckley, the Jesus of the Book of Mormon and the Jesus of the Bible are not the same.

In LDS Church News Week ending June 20, 1998, p. 7, it states "In bearing testimony of Jesus Christ, President Hinckley spoke of those outside the Church who say Latter-day Saints 'do not believe in the traditional Christ.' 'No, I don't. The traditional Christ of whom they speak is not the Christ of whom I speak. For the Christ of whom I speak has been revealed in this the Dispensation of the Fullness of Times. He together with His Father, appeared to the boy Joseph Smith in the year 1820, and when Joseph left the grove that day, he knew more of the nature of God than all the learned ministers of the gospel of the ages.'" In Mormonism, they teach that Jesus is a product of sexual relations between God the Father and his goddess wife (McConkie, Bruce, Mormon Doctrine, p. 192, 321, 516, 589). Not only that, but they also believe that Jesus is the spirit brother of the devil, you and me (McConkie, p. 192, 589).

Contention 2: Mormonism teaches polytheism, while Christianity teaches monotheism

One of the truly dividing lines between Mormonism and Christianity is doctrine of the plurality of gods. In the Articles of Faith by James Talmage, p.35 it says that "The trinity is three separate Gods: The Father, the Son, and the Holy Ghost. That these three are separate individuals, physically distinct from each other, is demonstrated by the accepted records of divine dealings with man." However, in the Bible it states that "besides Me there is no God" (Isaiah 45:5). While often the concept of the trinity is misunderstood it does not teach a polytheistic belief system. It teaches monotheism.

If you ask the average ignorant person "are Mormons Christian?" they will say "yes." These people are sadly misinformed.

Sorry I got confused.

Mormanism is Christians because it is under the protestants who broke away from the Catholic Church in the 1800's. 135 million people beleive in it and they beleive in heaven, although they have many different beleifs, they do beleive in God and beleiving in these makes you a Christian.

If you research this you would find the same thing. My pastor taught me, that Mormanism was created in the 1800's during the Protestant Reformation. It started with 35 Morman's and then grew and got huge numbers. See, to be a Christian, you beleive in God and Heaven. There are many other parts that vary, but those are the main things that you have to have to be a Christian. So since they beleive in these things, they are technically a Christian!

I'm sorry, but just because you believe in God and believe in Heaven, it does not make you a Christian. According to your logic, if believeing in God and a Heaven qualifies you to be a Christian then, to you, a Muslim would be Christian and same with Jehovah Witnesses, Hindus and etc, because after all they do believe in a god and a heaven. Joseph smith, around the age of eighteen was confused because their are so many Christian denominations. So in his confused state he went out to the forest by his house to pray and ask God, which one was correct, in which he claimed God appeared to Him and told him that they are all heretics, for lack of a better word. God went on to say that he needs to interpret the golden tablets and later founded Mormanism. Now, if Christians are heretics according to the Mormans, why put these two groups in the same box? Obviously, Mormans are not Christian.

TMBTay forfeited this round.

BradyM forfeited this round.

TMBTay forfeited this round.
Posted by BangBang-Coconut 5 years ago
Not really a vote-bomb
and that up there is a man with a mustache
Posted by Zealous1 5 years ago
Lol @ votebomb.
Posted by boredinclass 5 years ago
Posted by resolutionsmasher 5 years ago
so what you are saying is that you don't have a case of your own, you just want to deconstruct someone else's case.
Posted by Itsallovernow 5 years ago
This entire debate screamed fail by BradyM's first argument. You need to establish the argument first, BradyM
Posted by TheSound1 5 years ago
Mormonism is a cult. It's followers have been lied to. Their beliefs directly contradict what the Bible says, and Joseph Smith, dabbled in occult a number of times throughout his lifetime.

For example, they believe that Jesus and Lucifer were "spirit-brothers" and, that they had a fight, and Lucifer lost, so that's why he is the Devil. Complete and utter Bull.
Posted by Veridas 5 years ago
@Rekcut, your ignorance is astounding, go read a f*cking book.

Oh, and while it's on my mind.

I cannot accept this challenge because I do not match the Instigator's age and/or rank criteria.

I wonder if forefited debates are classified as a victory if there's no opposition.
Posted by Ore_Ele 5 years ago
This'll probably be a forfeit out. If I could, I would wait another 2 days, and if the instigator still hasn't come back to the site, I'd take the debate and let it expire.
Posted by WrathofGod 5 years ago
Accept Samman, I know this kid, get in there and let's see what you've got.
Posted by vardas0antras 5 years ago
What is the criteria, exactly ?
Vote Placed by WrathofGod 5 years ago