candice
jordyz

Mormonism isn't Christianity

candice

Pro

I am not out to slander Mormons, I have friends that are of this religion. Having said this, Christians believe that because Jesus Christ died for our sins, we shall receive the gift of eternal life in heaven if we accept him.

Mormons do not believe this. Therefore, how do they call themselves Christians? You will find no crosses in Mormon temples, or churches. They do not believe the blood Jesus shed for all mankind is good enough for the redemption of man's sins.

Mormon's believe that God was once a man, as we are right now. They also believe that we can be equal to God. In they're eyes; Mormonism is the ONLY way to heaven. No other sect will be going to heaven. Joseph Smith (Mormonism's founder) will come at the end of days at the right hand of Jesus and rule the earth. Without his good recommendation no one shall pass into heaven. This is heresy.

They're ultimate goal is Godhood. To become a God or Goddess, and rule they're own planet. Does it not occur to any Mormon's that this was the EXACT reason the Devil was cast down? No one can be great as our God.
jordyz

Con

I would first off like to thank my opponent for this debate. Now I would like to address the comment of us not believing that Christ dieing was naught to save man from sins. We do not believe that that is the only thing you has to have happened that is true, you also have to repent to, for lack of a better word, access the power to be cleared of the sins you had. Also we do not carry crosses in our church because it is almost like remembering the thing that killed Jesus not Jesus himself. Like if Jesus was killed with a sword I am sure every christian church would have a big sword sticking out of their roof. In a way a cross is almost a form of idol worship.
Also we do not believe that we can be equal to god, or that we can become gods or goddesses. After we die we await judgment day, and based on how good you were on earth you go to one of three levels in heave, the highest is where god himself lives with his son Jesus Christ. If you are not a mormon on Earth go to a type of spirit prison in which you can choose to accept the Mormon beliefs then, and then be judged accordingly. Finally we believe that Jesus will come down at the end of days, and once all the wicked have been destroyed there will be 1000 years of peace on Earth, and all the good will be resurrected. After which we will return to heaven.
candice

Pro

candice forfeited this round.
jordyz

Con

A quote from candice on one of my earlier mormon debates "...because on my Mormonis debates, they usually forfeit as well! It would be frustrating to believe to fully in something so easily disproved."
candice

Pro

I'm not at home... just jumped on this computer to say I have no time to debate. Family problems, I'm presently in Oklahoma with no computer access. My apologies, and we can reset for latter date. Will be back home May 3'rd.
jordyz

Con

I guess this debate is over then?I hope I meet one hundred characters.Nope not one hundered. Still not one hundred.
Posted by StephenAlsop 7 years ago
StephenAlsop
I am a mormon and as a mormon you need to understand all people will get to heaven and have a chance we do belive in crist the lord and in god and an entity we call the holy goast and we belive that they are seprate beings. all who enter the kingdom have a chance to learn and will be accepted we belive that this is true not that all other religons are condemed in fact the catholic religon is very close to mormon religon the catholics were the ones who wanted no gay rights in calafornia they spent more money campaining against is as fornication is against our rules. we belive in god and his son jesus christ and in the holy goast lol pro failed and we are not a cult
Posted by thisoneguy 8 years ago
thisoneguy
Mormonism is a CULT !!!
Posted by gogott 9 years ago
gogott
stevor,
I too believe that the Bible is the word of God. I especially love the New Testament, it is a great way to come to know the personality of the Savior, and I believe that collection of books to be sacred, no doubt. The law of tithing is biblical, and the promise of God giving back is likewise biblical (Mal. 3:8-10). Unfortunately, many times this is used to make a pastor rich, you are correct there, and this has given Christianity a bad name among some. In the LDS Church, the clergy are unpaid, all positions at all levels are voluntary position that a person must be called to. If you have an opporitunity to meet a Bishop or any other leader in the Church, even an Apostle, you can feel free to ask them what their vocation is. My current bishop is a social worker who works 40 hours a week and serves as bishop with no compensation on his free time. That is something I love about the Church because you are right, there are too many Churches out there that are led by men who use God to make money, and I dont like that. Now pertaining to your question, there are some scriptures that you could ponder on when you get a chance. We know that John speaks of being caught up to the "third Heaven" and Jesus speaks of "many mansions", but my personal favorite is when paul is teaching about the ressurection speaks about the different ressurections or glories there will be. This is in 1 Cor. 15:40-42. You are right, there is a lot of "made up religeous stuff" out there, that is why prayer and persoal revalation is so important in seeking truth. If a man has the faith to accept the stories in the Bible as pure truth, then there should be no problem with acepting modern day miracles and wonders as truth, after all, God can truly do anything, and he works in mysterious ways.
Posted by stevor 9 years ago
stevor
I am a strong fundamental Christian. Some might think that God ought to give other fundamental Christians something special. Some churches even tout that if followers give enough to the church, God will give back many times more, but it is just a scam to make the pastor rich.

Some things are too outrageous to believe and the whole Joseph Smith story seems to be in that vein.

Gogott, do you also believe that humans become gods when they die? Do you believe in different levels of heaven, as Mormons are said to believe? Is there a bible (not book of mormon) basis for it? That's as bad as the Catholic creation of pergatory (I am a former Catholic so I'm familiar with all their shenanigans such as doing sacraments what will get people to heaven and a priest's ability to forgive people's sins.)

There's a lot of made up religious stuff. The true source is the Bible. Anything else is probably a scam for money or power.
Posted by gogott 9 years ago
gogott
with all do respect stevor, that is a rediculous comment. Is that what you would say to all people of faith, who accept miracles that are consistent with their faith? If they accept something as a miracle than they must believe in everything? Do you not believe in miracles? Or is this just a double standard?
Posted by cooljpk 9 years ago
cooljpk
Any thing that is in line with GOD's will and what the Holy spirt confirms to be true. (but you will not understand that)
Posted by stevor 9 years ago
stevor
Since anything could be a miracle, you must believe in anything.
Posted by gogott 9 years ago
gogott
1.) Do you know what an heir is? (Romans 8:16-20)

2.)Evidence of how he could carry those big gold plates? um...have you ever carried something heavy? It can be done. As far as credible evidence regarding the translation, God works by miracles and we accept them as faith. Can you present me with credible evidence on how exactly Moses parted the red sea? How Jesus rose from the dead as an immortal and perfect ressurected being? I know those things happened, though I may never be able to prove them in this life, I accept them as faith and they are confirmed by the Spitit of the Holy Ghost. So it is with the translation of the Book of Mormon, I believe it was done by the gift and power of God.

3.) I have been a long student of the history of the Prophet Joseph Smith. I am well aware of the details of his upbringing and where he died (namely, Carthage Jail) and why he was there. I am also well aware of some of the unfounded claims of anti-mormon radicals. Once again, you need to beware of what you read on the web. Joseph was persecuted and falsely imprisoned more than once for charges such as "disturbing the peace" because of his "new and radical" religeon. Have you learned of the Haun's Mill massacre, or the extermination order of Governor Lilburn W. Boggs, or Joseph's false imprisonement in Liberty Jail, or in Carthage Jail. He was murdered, I am aware of that. Let me ask you this. Do you believe the men in the mob who shot him were justified?
Posted by stevor 9 years ago
stevor
Gogott,

So you say the bible says people can become a god, just like God?

I'd still like to hear some credible evidence of how Joseph Smith could carry those big gold plates and those special glasses that could decipher a special hieroglyphics.

Do you know about his upbringing and how he died, why he was there, and where?
Posted by gogott 9 years ago
gogott
Stevor--
You need to expound on your understanding of the Holy Bible. A prayerful reading of Romans 8 should help with that doctrine that you erroneously label as unbiblical. As far as the family telling you they were praying for their son to turn white, I seriously question whether that is true. However, even if it is, they were obviously crazy and completely out of harmony with the Church and your acceptance of their supposed statements as a reflection on the entire Church is a good example of where uninformed and blind-sighted bigotry come from. Last of all, as one who has done the proper research, I can tell you that there have been no doctrinal changes made in the Book of Mormon from 1830 to the present day. If you travel to Independence, Missouri and visit the headquarters of the Community of Christ Church you can see the original transcripts of the Book of Mormon from the pen of Oliver Cowdery and other scribes, and can compare that to the modern day version to see what type of corrections were made. The scribes used shorthand, which can be hard to translate, especially by someone other that the scribe. The changes were grammatical. Please don't feel that because you read some information on an anti-mormon website that that somehow makes you "informed" on the subject.
P.S. - Some respect for others beliefs would be nice. Your "moron-I" comment along with some others were distasteful, disrespectful, and childish.
To cooljpk
The Church does NOT teach that black people rejected the priesthood in the pre-existence. That was written as a theory in a privately written book and was promptly rejected by the First Presidency. That is not true doctrine.
Vote Placed by apologia101 6 years ago
apologia101
candicejordyzTied
Vote Placed by StephenAlsop 7 years ago
StephenAlsop
candicejordyzTied
Vote Placed by thisoneguy 8 years ago
thisoneguy
candicejordyzTied
Vote Placed by mo-yahoo 9 years ago
mo-yahoo
candicejordyzTied
Vote Placed by els21 9 years ago
els21
candicejordyzTied
Vote Placed by mikelwallace 9 years ago
mikelwallace
candicejordyzTied
Vote Placed by sully 9 years ago
sully
candicejordyzTied
Vote Placed by gogott 9 years ago
gogott
candicejordyzTied
Vote Placed by candice 9 years ago
candice
candicejordyzTied
Vote Placed by cooljpk 9 years ago
cooljpk
candicejordyzTied