Mormons are Christians

I will be arguing that Mormons, or more accurately, members of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints are Christians. I feel like this is a very simple debate, and that there shouldn't be conflict about it, but the belief that Mormons aren't Christians still persists. So, I leave the debate open to anyone that can argue otherwise.

The definition of "Christian" is very simple and straight forward. According to Merriam-Webster, it is,

"The religion that is based on the teachings of Jesus Christ".

This definition clearly includes Mormons, so I will allow my opponent to submit an alternative definition, which we will debate.

The rules are that the first round for arguments and definitions, and that the second round is for rebuttals. It's very easy, and shouldn't take long. As far as conduct, just keep it clean and straightforward. I'm only here to answer one question, not decide if Mormons or another religion is better.

I wish whomever accepts the best of luck.

Mormons are not Christians. Christians believe in the Apostles Creed. It states
"I believe in God, the Father almighty,
creator of heaven and earth.
I believe in Jesus Christ, his only Son, our Lord,
who was conceived by the Holy Spirit
and born of the virgin Mary.
He suffered under Pontius Pilate,
was crucified, died, and was buried;
he descended to hell.
The third day he rose again from the dead.
He ascended to heaven
and is seated at the right hand of God the Father almighty.
From there he will come to judge the living and the dead.
I believe in the Holy Spirit,
the holy catholic church,
the communion of saints,
the forgiveness of sins,
the resurrection of the body,
and the life everlasting. Amen."

Mormons do not believe in the Holy Trinity. Therefore if they do consider themselves Christians, they are obviously heretics. Joseph Smith and his family were known swindlers, so it isn't surprising that he made up the entire religion in his head. A lot of the verses in the Book of Mormon are directly quoted from the KJV Bible.

So because my religion doesn't follow the creed in which you believe, I'm not a Christian? Despite the fact that we follow the teachings of Jesus in the Bible? Interpretations vary between all denominations. And, I see no other definition of Christian given by you. Just because my religion don't follow a certain creed put forward by some priests, that doesn't disqualify us. Your basic argument is that I believe Jesus Christ in a different way than you, therefore you can declare that I am not a Christian. The definition of Christian isn't "Following the teachings of Christ and all of those creeds which He didn't say". I don't really know where this despising of Mormons came from, or why its so paramount to deny us the title of Christian, but by the simplest and most straightforward definition, we are Christians.

Okay, so Im no expert in mormonism or christianity, but from what I do understand, Mormons believe that Jesus and God are two seperate gods. Christians believe in ONE god in three forms. Father, son, holy ghost. I did a bit of research and I found out that by your own beliefs, you all are going to end up going to hell. Mormons believe that the only way to get into heaven, is to spend all of the possible time that you have evangelizing. So basically, while you are having this debate, you could have been evangelizing, so that means that you are going to go to Hell. That is not a christian belief.
Posted by AnimalLover13 5 months ago
If everyone is so confused about our religion just go to If you go anywhere else they will most likely be lies or misunderstandings.
Posted by Love101 5 months ago
Being new the the church i go to .. which is LDS i believe that Mormons are christians and everything ..
Posted by HoneyBadger0 5 months ago
Growing up in a LDS family, I know for a fact that indeed we are Christians. Those who oppose this saying we don't believe in the trinity, yes we believe in it BUT NOT the belief they are the same person, God is God, Jesus is Jesus, and The Holy Spirit is The Holy Spirit, we celebrate Christmas which is a very very big holiday for Christians, there is no possible way for Joseph Smith to have made this up in his head it is very complex and very hard to explain for there are very many sacred things about our beliefs, I can assure this because as i said i am a member and have been since the day i was baptised, "One must taste the salt to know of its full power."
Posted by Kyle_the_Heretic 6 months ago
Absolutely. In Mormon doctrine, the existence of other Gods/gods is complicated, and there are many caveats, but I'm still willing to debate the topic that Mormons, strictly speaking, are not henotheists.

Or, that is to say, from your position, they are henotheists, but I would be con.
Posted by dsjpk5 6 months ago
Would you be willing to accept this definition of henotheism (from Merriam Webster dictionary): the worship of one god without denying the existence of other gods.
Posted by Kyle_the_Heretic 6 months ago
That would be great. I was raised by a Catholic step-father, and my brother is Catholic, so I would have no problem with you presenting the argument from a Catholic standpoint as opposed to Christian fundamentalist. I am equally familiar with both doctrines. I would still be willing to accept the debate from a Mormon standpoint, as I am also very familiar with that doctrine.
Posted by dsjpk5 6 months ago
Hmmm. That's an interesting proposition. I'll think about it.
Posted by Kyle_the_Heretic 6 months ago
But it would not be monotheism vs henotheism, because Mormons are not henotheists. First you would have to prove Mormons are henotheists in a debate. I would accept that debate.
Posted by dsjpk5 6 months ago
I was interested in debating Mormonism on the basis of monotheism vs. henotheism. Why are you trying to change the subject?
Posted by Kyle_the_Heretic 6 months ago
Well then, why don't you start a new debate about the "Trinity", and challenge me. I am not Mormon, so you would be concentrating on that "pivotal" definition as it applies to Christian fundamentalism, not Mormonism. Mormons are not the only ones who challenge the Trinity, there are number of non-fundamentalists who also challenge it. But if you'd like, I will challenge it from a Mormon standpoint.

The ball is in your court.